The Craig Davies school of ball control.

Have to say, just watched the full game highlights again, and if you watch Davies' contribution, its pretty top notch. Very rarely does he do something bad and lose the ball... frequently he was doubled up on, and his running at thier defence caused a lot of problems if not much end result - mainly a lot of corners...

He could have got his head up a lot more as always... but to say his touch was bad was far wide of the mark, he needs a goal desperately and then you never know, he might just look up occasionally...

I'm as bigger doubter of Davies as the next man.. but that was a pretty good performance. Deserves his place against leicester, who I feel wont be as obsessed with putting 2 men on him.... he needs to use the space that taylor and Hughes create better, but was impressed with him yesterday....

pretty much agreed bf...Davies' pace and unpredictability is going to and will cause many defences problems, he will create goals due to his movement into the channels as well, allowing whitts and Taylor in particular to get through the middle......i'm sure all that he needs is a goal and his confidence will boom and we will begin again to see the best of him.

Let's face it......it's been many years since we have had 2 strikers potenially capable of scoring 15+ each.

Have to say, just watched the full game highlights again, and if you watch Davies' contribution, its pretty top notch. Very rarely does he do something bad and lose the ball... frequently he was doubled up on, and his running at thier defence caused a lot of problems if not much end result - mainly a lot of corners...

He could have got his head up a lot more as always... but to say his touch was bad was far wide of the mark, he needs a goal desperately and then you never know, he might just look up occasionally...

I'm as bigger doubter of Davies as the next man.. but that was a pretty good performance. Deserves his place against leicester, who I feel wont be as obsessed with putting 2 men on him.... he needs to use the space that taylor and Hughes create better, but was impressed with him yesterday....

His pace is a major threat, and often has defenders on the back foot.

He still has feet like spring-loaded plates of meat though.

Davies has the potential to be the best player at the club. Its pointless hoofing the ball to him, as he's not the best at holding the ball up, but play the ball in front of him, and when he's got the ball facing the goal, and I'd prefer him than virtually anyone else in the squad.

I wouldn't try and make a scapegoat of Davies, as just some did with Taylor, you will fail.

davieszj3.jpg

Say what you see Jamie :wink: I thought the lad played OK. One superb bit of skill made the whole Hereford defence look like dicks (OK, granted....) where he dummied them all, and he worked hard and created problems for them. If I am honest, I think he was, well, a bit puzzled when he kept running out to where he thought no Latics players would be, and there were two of them there, and they looked a bit like each other, and they wanted to pass to each other more than to him... Should have been a clear signal for him to get himself into the box, but as we all know decision making isn't his strongest suit.

I agree I didnt realise till watchin the Extended Highlights how much he did do well!

Great pass over from the right to start off the move for Hughes goal!

i'm a little perplexed at the stick davies seems to be getting!! for me he has the makings of being a top class championship player!

ok - he can be a little eratic at times - but his pace alone is worth his place in any starting line up! teams tend to double up on pacy players , leaving

space for players who have a bit of nouse - hughesy!! i do agree he is desperate for a goal at the moment and the punishment he received

for a ridiculous sending off was completely justified ! but, like others - i thought he played great saturday with hopefully more to come!!

i'm a little perplexed at the stick davies seems to be getting!! for me he has the makings of being a top class championship player!

ok - he can be a little eratic at times - but his pace alone is worth his place in any starting line up! teams tend to double up on pacy players , leaving

space for players who have a bit of nouse - hughesy!! i do agree he is desperate for a goal at the moment and the punishment he received

for a ridiculous sending off was completely justified ! but, like others - i thought he played great saturday with hopefully more to come!!

This thread isn't anything to do with his pace. It's to do with the fact that everytime he collects the ball he has to run another 5 yards to bring it back under control.

Yes he had a decent game on Sunday. Yes he's a good prospect (if he can get his head down). Yes he has pace to burn.

But good control is something he will never have. Which IMO means he'll not be anything other than a decent striker in this division. Happy to be proved wrong mind.