standing in the RRE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wozz

Good arguement you make but I don't think the law was brought in to make people unhappy. There were several incidents in the 80s where people died as a direct result of standing areas being overcrowded either by too many people getting in to a ground or fans running to taunt/attack opposing fans (unlikely to happen at BP I know) I remember coming home that Saturday night from a Latics home game (Plymouth or Sunderland not sure which - the other was the minute silence the following home game) and seeing photos in the Pink of a girl pressed up against the Leppings Lane barriers - she was a very similar age to my girl friend who had been with me at Latics that afternoon. I also remember reading about the couple who sat in the main stand at Hillsborough that day and watched their 16/17 year old twin girls get crushed to death below and to the left of them. My daughter is now 16 and occasionally comes to games with me and her 8 year old sister.

I spent the years from aged 10 to 32 watching latics stood up and agree with you, i much preferred it and it did create a better atmosphere but things changed not on a whim but for a very good reason. I loved the old wooden stands as well , beautiful structures but wouldn't want them built now and i don't think the reaction to the Bradford fire was OTT either.

We still sing and whenever it gets exciting we stand up for 20-30 seconds or so. I may be wrong but i think that many of the fans who stand up for prolonged periods of time do so just to make a point.

KTF

I fully agree mate i can see why the laws were changed, obviously not to make people unhappy. I was still very young in the 80s and early 90s and cannot really remember the pre all seater era but it is quite obvious when looking back that things needed to change. I wouldnt expect to go back to how things were, but with the modern all seater stadiums which we now have in place in this country I see no reason why standing sections cannot be allocated to certain sections of each ground. Over crowding would be no longer an issue as the same number of tickets could be allocated the same as they are now. People would just be allowed to stand infront of their allocated seats in the standing section. I see it as common sense really. The rows of seats themselves would stop people from the threat of being crushed. There will always be people wanting to stand and always be people wanting to sit down and both could easily be catered for eradicating any conflict of interest among the fans.

I fully agree mate i can see why the laws were changed, obviously not to make people unhappy. I was still very young in the 80s and early 90s and cannot really remember the pre all seater era but it is quite obvious when looking back that things needed to change. I wouldnt expect to go back to how things were, but with the modern all seater stadiums which we now have in place in this country I see no reason why standing sections cannot be allocated to certain sections of each ground. Over crowding would be no longer an issue as the same number of tickets could be allocated the same as they are now. People would just be allowed to stand infront of their allocated seats in the standing section. I see it as common sense really. The rows of seats themselves would stop people from the threat of being crushed. There will always be people wanting to stand and always be people wanting to sit down and both could easily be catered for eradicating any conflict of interest among the fans.

I am 100% in favour of a return to standing areas, but I never thought it meant I would get to stand in front of my seat :unsure:

Because it's full of numpties?

Standing at football matches is illegal in all-seater stadiums, so why keep asking for something you're never going to get.

What's next standing areas in Cinemas?

I'm sorry but standing at football matches is hardly a new idea. I would much prefer to stand and have a good atmosphere than sit and it be like a library like the last few seasons. We finally get a bit of atmosphere and everyone moans about it. A decent atmosphere will win us a fair few points at home but obviously the luxury of sitting on uncomfortable plastic seats with no leg room is much more appealing to some.

Agree with you on Scunny.

Probably agree with you on Tranny unless they're on a bit of a roll.

Stockport are on the up, whereas for previous meetings they were on the way down and out.

They'll bring more than 2,500.

Lol...not a flying chance!!! Stockport have struggled to bring 500 to ours the last couple of times. I agree that their away following has improved since then, but there's not a snowballs chance in hell that they'll bring 2,500. I'd say 1,500 tops...I'd still expect us to offer them the bigger section of the RRE though, just in case.

all that jumping up and down & hugging people when we score annoys me too.

you can just as easily stick your arms in the air and shake the hand of the person next to you without any need whatsoever to leave your seat.

you are having a laff aintcha? when we score I am in ecstasy so DO jump around and Do hug anyone in a close proximaty - it's called passion mate - you either have it or you dont

there is absolutely no difference in the atmosphere when people are standing or sitting,sorry but it is ludicrfous the need to stand especially when we are kicking towards the RREpeople jump up if they re not already standingit really doesnt make sense whatsoever

WRONG

When I stand I can sing louder !

Keep it up Leezy.

If all the RRE had the same enthusiasm as you we'd be jumping! But mate, do you not get cold?

E4e

SHRTS

Was weird on Satdi - kept getting hot and then cold again - for some reason when I am at footy, get an extra insulation (must be the extra fat eh?)

Its funny how kids change your prospective.... I have started bringing my 7 year old nephew and he couldnt see much on Saturday because of people standing up. Sat in the area to the left where everyone was sat down but as soon as some one gets through on goal everyone stands up and he dosent stand a chance. Must admit its abit of a :censored:ter for him... Still seems to enjoy himself though....

Been thinking of where I could sit so he could see better. Any suggestions.... Sit too far down and stewards / goalkeeper blocks the view... Go too high and other fans block your view :) Dosent seem like we can win :)

Its funny how kids change your prospective.... I have started bringing my 7 year old nephew and he couldnt see much on Saturday because of people standing up. Sat in the area to the left where everyone was sat down but as soon as some one gets through on goal everyone stands up and he dosent stand a chance. Must admit its abit of a :censored:ter for him... Still seems to enjoy himself though....

Been thinking of where I could sit so he could see better. Any suggestions.... Sit too far down and stewards / goalkeeper blocks the view... Go too high and other fans block your view :) Dosent seem like we can win :)

I'm an ex-Lookers Upper, and TBH I'd rather be looking at the pitch from the side but I'm no Mainstander so I go in the RRE when I get the chance - however took my 6 year old lad in the Chaddy Saturday (in't family bit) and got a pretty good view, Sheridans_World was sat few rows behind me. Similar fans sat around me Dad/lads/families and everybody seemed to have a good day, apart from the old chap who shouted for Sheridan to sub Lidz late on in the second half - "Bloody useless he is Sheridan". Everyone's got an opinion, but at this stage of the game - when we were in the ascendancy - it really wasn't called for. I let it ride safe in the knowledge that the team was playing out of their skin and all the players wanted to win.

Anyways, my boy usually comes to one or two games a season, but has expressed a desire to watch more live Latics - which is all good for the club. Although he did start singing a couple of St.Helens chants in the first half - "Duh-duh-duh-duh --- Jamie Lyon!" (his favourite Saints player)and "Oh when the Saints..." go on my son...

:grin:

To all the 'standers' - what are you going to do when your actions result in the police closing the stand - maybe you will stand outside. Grow up and obey the law or go and lobby your MPs for a change in the law. Because we were in the Premier league our ground, under the law, will for ever be designated an all seater stadium, even when we rebuild that fact will never alter.

Again I agree with some of the other posts - why on earth would you want to stand when the opposition are attacking the stand you are in or why stand when we are attacking the other end - it doesn't make sence.

Again I agree with some of the other posts - why on earth would you want to stand when the opposition are attacking the stand you are in or why stand when we are attacking the other end - it doesn't make sence.

Ask those at the front. Once they are stood, the rest behind on each and every row will follow.

Keep it up Leezy.

If all the RRE had the same enthusiasm as you we'd be jumping! But mate, do you not get cold?

E4e

SHRTS

Perhaps you haven’t spotted his knee-high lace up boots Nik? They are like something a high society fashion icon like Victoria Beckham would wear, I think they keep him warm.

what are you going to do when your actions result in the police closing the stand

I REALLY wish people would stop touting this line.... It isnt going too happen.....

How long has standing been banned ? and how many times have the police closed a stand ? Thank you....

To all those that sit down who dont like people standing, I am really intrigued about what you did pre all seater stadiums. Did you sit down in the limited seats at the side of grounds? Did you stand up with everyone else but hate it? Did you actually enjoy standing in the terraces back then? Do you prefer it now we have all have a seat?

These are serious questions by the way, i am just interested to see how or why peoples attitudes changed over the last 20 years or so.

Edited by wozz_oafc

These are serious questions by the way, i am just interested to see how or why peoples attitudes changed over the last 20 years or so.

My attitude has changed, I used to stand in the Chaddy or the main stand paddock and was totally against all seater stadium as it was part of a concerted attempt by the Thatcher government to change football. Footie fans were seen as part of "the enemy within" and I wanted no part of it, it was also predicted that this would see gate prices rise, which it has. Not many of us realised that it would also lead to the bourgeoisification of the game and change the atmosphere to the extent it has.

But now? It was a couple of seasons ago at Chesterfield when I realised that standing wasn't for me anymore as it is a real ball-ache. I can't stand standing at gigs anymore either, enjoy it much more in seats, I haven't had to have the mad rush to get to the game or the gig to make sure I get a good spot as my spot is printed on the ticket. I can't stand going to the cinema now either as thereis the rush to get there early to get a decent seat, have to sit through the trailers and adverts and I can't stand either but what is worse are the bellends who turn up 5 mins before the film starts and fanny about trying to get all their group sitting together or the world's tallest man sits right in front of me.

At the match though I will stand if we get a corner or are attacking or after a bad tackle - the flash points that are allowed under the law/ground regs then I sit my fat ass back down. I have no desire to goad the away fans either, grew out of that ages ago, I still sing at games and clap and get behind the team. It isn't as good as it used to be but neither are alot of things but I wouldn't go back to non-seated stadiums.

Being in the RRE hasn't been too bad this season apart from the games when we have been moved which have been bloody annoying with spending more time seeing the backs of the people in front of me than the action on the pitch. It is pretty inconsiderate of people down the front backwards to stand - they may be exercising their freedoms to enjoy the match how they want but that is at the expense of the people behind them.

To all those that sit down who dont like people standing, I am really intrigued about what you did pre all seater stadiums. Did you sit down in the limited seats at the side of grounds? Did you stand up with everyone else but hate it? Did you actually enjoy standing in the terraces back then? Do you prefer it now we have all have a seat?

As I recall it, very rarely did persistant standing happen in seated areas. There were always places to accomodate people who wanted to stand up called terraces.

I don't think it's a safety issue personally, but it's really inconsiderate people at the front standing up, because it simply gives people behind them no option other than have to move seats. Which when you've gotten there slightly early to select a good seat, it's very annoying for someone to turn up 5 minutes in the game and start standing right in front of you.

I'd welcome a safe return to terraced areas in grounds. Disaster's that have happened occurred because of due negligance to bad policing and/or club's lack of safety personnel, not to mention old, crumbly stadia. Correctly policed, terraced areas have been proven to be safe all around the world for years now.

That said, had Latics not bottled it in 1992 and left the chaddy end as it was we'd more than likely still have a terrace there. God, imagine that!

as i started this link i will answer - i set in the ford/lookers stand or 25 years and there was never ever a problem with this seat whre mde for mmm let me think oh yes for sitting in - seems such a strange concept for the 21s st century

That said, had Latics not bottled it in 1992 and left the chaddy end as it was we'd more than likely still have a terrace there. God, imagine that!

I've always thought our biggest mistake was re-developing the chaddy end first instead of last

As for the topic, this is the answer to our prayers

standing.jpg

I've always thought our biggest mistake was re-developing the chaddy end first instead of last

As for the topic, this is the answer to our prayers

standing.jpg

Looking at that pic... If someone was stood up in front of someone sat down then the person sat down wouldnt be able too see....or are my eyes playing games?

Looking at that pic... If someone was stood up in front of someone sat down then the person sat down wouldnt be able too see....or are my eyes playing games?

but for christ sake why does that person have to stand in he blody first place if you wanna stand go watch non league

Edited by neiladamsheadband