Team Tomorrow

lomax defo keeps his place, eardley was away on internationals, lomax played, team won and he did nothing wrong so our ahem 'international' doesnt deserve to come back in, not as if hes been playing brilliant recently. Until lomax plays poorly i dont expect to see him starting

Did we carry on and score the winner after full time? Damn, knew i shouldn't have gone to the pub straight after the whistle, we scored a bloody winner and i missed it :blink:

For me Lomax has to be dropped, he has been decent defensively but the guy can't pass to save his life. In our current starting 11 he's the most obvious weak link IMO, with this being highlighted by the massive difference a ball-playing and run-making full back like Daniel Jones can have on the way the team plays. Eard's to take Lomax's place tomorrow along with Davis for Ormerod.

For me Lomax has to be dropped, he has been decent defensively but the guy can't pass to save his life.

Have you seen eardley play mate? Ill admit lomax isnt the greatest at passing but he has far better distribution ability than eardley. People bang on about how great eardley is, yet his role is to stop crosses coming in and tackle wingers, he never does the former and manages to do the latter due to his pace as his positioning is woeful. He is extremely overrated in my eyes, sometimes i wonder what people know about football and the roles carried out in the various positions on the pitch. Jones has shown what standard of performance eardley needs to be at. He has been in the team since he was 17 and he is now 20, and i see little improvement in the weak areas of his game. I hope he improves greatly in the future but currently in my view he isnt doing his job properly and lomax deserves a run.

Have you seen eardley play mate? Ill admit lomax isnt the greatest at passing but he has far better distribution ability than eardley. People bang on about how great eardley is, yet his role is to stop crosses coming in and tackle wingers, he never does the former and manages to do the latter due to his pace as his positioning is woeful. He is extremely overrated in my eyes, sometimes i wonder what people know about football and the roles carried out in the various positions on the pitch. Jones has shown what standard of performance eardley needs to be at. He has been in the team since he was 17 and he is now 20, and i see little improvement in the weak areas of his game. I hope he improves greatly in the future but currently in my view he isnt doing his job properly and lomax deserves a run.

It's all about opinions, I personally would take Eardley over Lomax having seen the development of both of them over the last few years, its good for the club that they have 2 good young full backs on the books.

Just look at the other thread Wellens v Whittaker, Whittaker is actually winning that poll. :shock::blink:

FFS I like Whittaker and think he's a good player, but he can't hold a candle to Wellens, Whittaker will never run or control a whole game the way Wellens can, but thats opinions for you.

I don't get this debate over Lomax and Eardley - whilst Lomax has never let us down, he is simply not as good a player as Eardley. My working life takes me into contact with a few professional clubs via their Football in the Community schemes and most of the ex-pro's who run those scheme's are full of praise for Eardley (and Taylor too). One acts as a scout for a current Championship team (ex premier team) and has been sent to watch Eardley (and last season Trotman too) a number of times. He thinks he is a cracking player and only a matter of time before a bigger club buys him. Can't see the same thing happening for Lomax unfortunately. We may all think we 'know football' but this is from somebody who does know the game and has been involved in it for over 30 years.

Lastly, do people not think that the balls Eardley plays down the wings (those that people claim as 'aimless') are part of a game plan to turn the opposition defence for either Davies or Allessandra (whichever is playing) to run on to? I can't see a professional player continuously playing the same pass unless he has been instructed to do it?

I don't get this debate over Lomax and Eardley - whilst Lomax has never let us down, he is simply not as good a player as Eardley.

Nuff said - Eardley is nineteen years old - he has already captained Latics and also Wales U 21. He is a decent player with great potential - if he continues to learn he will play at Championship level next season. Lomax is a decent player too but not of the same class as Eardley - he has nowhere near the experience and confidence that Eardley has. Look how nervous he was on Saturday against Leicester. Lomax needs more time and he will get better - but I am not sure he will play anywhere above the level he is currently at.

Team today... Eardley will be back and you know what, I would persevere with Davies as I feel it is only a matter of time before he gets that goal :)

may try the same type of thing on the left as saturday??

GK - Crossley

LB - Lomax

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan

RB - Eardley

LM - Jones

CM - Whittaker

CM - Allott

RM - Taylor

CF - Ormerod

CF - Hughes

SUBS

Flemming

Maher

Liddell

Allesendra

Davies / Any other defender!

For me Lomax has to be dropped, he has been decent defensively but the guy can't pass to save his life.

Have I read this right? It's pretty rare when Lomax doesn't find a blue shirt, and more often than not goes for short safer passes than 70 yard glory balls which look fantastic when they come off once every 9 or 10 times.

If anything his weakness is overlapping and not going forward more.

Lastly, do people not think that the balls Eardley plays down the wings (those that people claim as 'aimless') are part of a game plan to turn the opposition defence for either Davies or Allessandra (whichever is playing) to run on to? I can't see a professional player continuously playing the same pass unless he has been instructed to do it?

Could that be the same type pass for which some have have slated Lidds? :lol:

Edit: Speaking of Lidds.....how about if both Lomax and Eards play with Jones on the left and Taylor on the right? Following Saturdays game plan I'm sure Shez will consider it.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Guest oa_exile
If anything his weakness is overlapping and not going forward more.

Which I blame on Shez , he constantly calls him back when he tries to move too far forward.

I think Shez put Taylor on the right to try and use his pace against Powell's aging legs. Fully expect Tayls to be back on the left tonight, with Lidds restored to the place he's earned on the RW.

Jones at LB so a straight choice between KL and NE for the RB berth. Kelvin hasn't done much wrong, especially when playing in his natural position on the right rather than the left, but Eards is a better player and may get the nod on that basis.

It's good to have this sort of headache though.

I think Shez put Taylor on the right to try and use his pace against Powell's aging legs. Fully expect Tayls to be back on the left tonight, with Lidds restored to the place he's earned on the RW.

I said much the same, except that my take was that Taylor + Lomax is a lot quicker than Eards + Lids to cope with Dyer. It shows Shez is thinking about his game plan, it must help that he's got better and more experienced players now who he trusts to play a different role one week to the next.

I wouldnt drop Lidds, his experience in tough games like today will be needed.

Id expect him to stick with the same team that finished, with Davies in for Ormerod.

Sheridan talks of changes tonight - Eardley in for Lomax will be one - the others? Well if we assume that Liddell was rested on Saturday then he probably will come back in and I would expect that to be it - I just hope Davies gets that goal tonight! :pray:

I can see Shez trying to implement the tactics he was going to try and play on saturday until Byrne had to come off. Personally I would like to see Jones play a full match on the wing.

So for me

Crossey

Eardley (rb), Hazel, Greegs, Lomax (lb)

Taylor (rw), Ratboy, Whittaker, Jones (lw)

Hughes & ?

Sitting on the fence slighlty with the second striker.

Flyin high up in the sky, I'll keep the blue flag flying high!

Prediction, 2 - 1 latics.

I can see Shez trying to implement the tactics he was going to try and play on saturday until Byrne had to come off. Personally I would like to see Jones play a full match on the wing.

So for me

Crossey

Eardley (rb), Hazel, Greegs, Lomax (lb)

Taylor (rw), Ratboy, Whittaker, Jones (lw)

Hughes & ?

Sitting on the fence slighlty with the second striker.

Flyin high up in the sky, I'll keep the blue flag flying high!

Prediction, 2 - 1 latics.

Interesting thoughts there - only thing I would say is that we are away from home and Shez may stick with a more defensive approach - key for me is speed and that's why I would play Davies as your '?'

Interesting thoughts there - only thing I would say is that we are away from home and Shez may stick with a more defensive approach - key for me is speed and that's why I would play Davies as your '?'

I thought davies ran his knackeres off on saturday, but lacking confidence. Doesnt help that there are scores of Latics fans shouting abuse at him.

Chamone

Sheridan talks of changes tonight - Eardley in for Lomax will be one - the others? Well if we assume that Liddell was rested on Saturday then he probably will come back in and I would expect that to be it - I just hope Davies gets that goal tonight! :pray:

Wasn't much of a rest though was it?