Bristol Rovers match preview

From tonight’s Bristol Evening Post:

Rovers – unbeaten in their last five games – face a tough test against a Latics side who have only lost one league game so far. Oldham arrive as the leading scorers in League One with 25 goals – two more than Rovers have managed, with the Latics having played a game less.

The Boundary Park club have been rewarded for offering striker Lee Hughes the chance to relaunch his career after his much-publicised spell in prison as the former West Brom and Coventry marksman has bagged six goals – the same as local lad Chris Taylor – while experienced former Wigan player Andy Liddell is only one behind them.

John Sheridan's side promise to be stronger than they were last term, when Rovers completed a 1-0 league double.

Paul Trollope, Rovers’ manager:

"You can't fault the spirit and determination the players have shown in fighting back. But there have been too many times when we've conceded early on – and the theme for tonight will be to start well, come out of the traps and try and get the first goal. If we can do that, we'll be confident of winning."

"Oldham have been up there all season and John Sheridan has assembled a good squad with attacking players who have a good pedigree and have played at a decent level, so we are going to have to be right defensively," added Trollope

Steve Phillips, Rovers’ keeper:

"OIdham are certainly one of the better teams in our league and have some quality players. We are going to have to be at our best to get a result against them," said Phillips.

"They strengthened over the summer and have a different side now – but we have some new players as well, so it should be a good contest. Hopefully it's one in which we'll come out on top."

"I think we found the areas we needed to improve on and have worked very hard in training on doing that," said Phillips. "It's obviously worked because we've stopped shipping goals left, right and centre and we've looked a lot more solid as a unit."

For tonight's game we have got for the first time ever ':censored:' ref Fred Graham.

I'd advise Latics fans against a quick google search on him. The words 'controversial' and 'odd decisions' crop up a bit frequently, as well as 'recieved coaching after an overload of complaints by Chesterfield fans'.

This was from 606:

Yesterday, Mr. Fred Graham, made a whole host of ridiculous decisions, giving us absolutely nothing. I'm not just saying this because I am a Gills fan, but he was a joke. I'm sure he just flipped a coin to see who the decision should go to. He even gave obvious throw-ins the wrong way, and proceeded to give totally incorrect reasoning for his decision. Not only did he mess up most of the decision-making he had to do, he managed to let Southend completely destroy the second half. The ball was not in play for longer than 3 minutes at a time because the Southend pansies decided to start crying everytime they were touched by another player. Yes, they should receive a large amount of the blame for this, but the referee let it happen. He continually stopped the game for injuries, only to see the player get up 2 minutes later and start running around again.

Now most of that seems the standard anti-ref bollocks, but the last sentence made me laugh. I'd generally say that if a player is down for two minutes, then he isn't feigning injury. Still though, people will always find something to complain about the ref for...

Extract from tonight's rarely wrong Chron:

Stand by for a goal rush

Reporter: Michael Yarwood

Date online: 21/10/2008

MAYBE it’s tempting fate, but there appears to be a cast-iron certainty about Athletic’s game at Bristol Rovers tonight – neither side will lack firepower.

John Sheridan and Paul Trollope are leading two of the highest-scoring teams in the entire Football League with a combined record of 48 goals in 23 matches.

Athletic have been sharing the burden as Lee Hughes has struck six times, wide men Chris Taylor and Andy Liddell have scored 11 between them and four-goal midfielder Danny Whitaker is also chipping in well.

Bristol are far more reliant on one prolific marksman – former Rochdale star Rickie Lambert, whose tally of 10 makes him joint-leading scorer in the division – but it’s hard to envisage a dull, negative stalemate at the Memorial Stadium.

So get your money on 0-0. :grin:

Also in tonight's raeely wrong Chron, there is an article about Brett Ormerod needing to score just one goal for his 100.

“I didn’t realise I was on 99 until someone pointed it out – it will probably play on my mind now and I would like to reach 100, although I’ll always take a victory over a goal.” :unsure:

Also in tonight's raeely wrong Chron, there is an article about Brett Ormerod needing to score just one goal for his 100.

“I didn’t realise I was on 99 until someone pointed it out – it will probably play on my mind now and I would like to reach 100, although I’ll always take a victory over a goal.” :unsure:

If thats the case then I'd play Davies instead of Ormerod, probably more likely to score!