bristol rovers

Not sure I agree with everything said about last night...definitely don't agree A.Lot (pathetic pronounciation from their announcer) and Whitaker ran the game. Thought both were poor for large parts and were part of the reason we went backwards too much. I'm not too upset at the defeat as I felt we did get in some decent areas at times and it's a tricky ground to go to. And the 2nd half was a big improvement. But to dissect the defeat....

1st of all, for me, the biggest problem we faced (not for the 1st time this season) was that we'd get the ball into the middle then as soon as a Gas player got in our face, we'd turn and fire it back to Jones or Lomax who'd be forced into pumping it down the wing. Thankfully, in the 2nd half Shez had told them to bomb forward more. That helped. But it was all too easy to go backwards at times, rather than create space through movement. Something Whitaker has done many times this season but sadly not last night.

Add to that, I never once felt we commanded at the back. We're not winning the headers like we were (sometimes just resorting to hacking it clear or strained defending). The first header for the 2nd goal was too easy for Lambert and overall in 3 games, I've yet to seen Jones win a header in the box yet. Also, his marking is poor at times...it was his man at the far post for the 2nd goal (and thought the same on Saturday when Howard scored.) He's far too relaxed at times in defence...he's great going forward, putting a cross in and has a goot shot on him...at set-pieces he's not the brightest though IMO. Shez needs to be having a word there.

Overall, the manor of defeat for me was very similar to Stockport. We've lost 2 games through 2 poor halves...both halves where the oppo team got in our faces, hurried us and caused us to self explode. Composure was missing when times got tough. I felt we did enough to warrant a goal, but not a 2nd goal...we didn't deserve a point IMO. They had chances too in the 2nd half which Crossley rose to (after allowing a soft goal in) and I felt they had a great claim for a penalty just inside the box 10 mins from end...had the foul been outside the box most refs would've blown.

Onwards we go anyway....some valuable lessons to be learned. I predicted a 1-1 on Sat and a 2-0 defeat for last night on Latics-mads Beat the Manager game...if my next 2 predictions come true, we'll be 6 points better off this time next week! Here's hoping!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to seen Jones win a header in the box yet. Also, his marking is poor at times...it was his man at the far post for the 2nd goal (and thought the same on Saturday when Howard scored.)

Jones - seems to have gone downhill fast since hi first two games - confidence gone already? However - the second goal last night was at the far post from Lines - surely this was Lomax's man? Howard was definitely NOT Jones man on Saturday - Gregan or Hazell surely?

Overall, the manor of defeat for me was very similar to Stockport. We've lost 2 games through 2 poor halves...both halves where the oppo team got in our faces, hurried us and caused us to self explode. Composure was missing when times got tough. I felt we did enough to warrant a goal, but not a 2nd goal...we didn't deserve a point IMO.

If we had scored one we would have scored more - 14 shots - 7 on target - I think we should have had a point. :mad:

Jones - seems to have gone downhill fast since hi first two games - confidence gone already? However - the second goal last night was at the far post from Lines - surely this was Lomax's man? Howard was definitely NOT Jones man on Saturday - Gregan or Hazell surely?

If we had scored one we would have scored more - 14 shots - 7 on target - I think we should have had a point. :mad:

On Saturday, Gregan and Jones seemed to swap for the set piece...and felt he was supposed to be marking him. As for last night, yeah, good point. I'm getting my right and left side mixed up.

Also, I did feel too that if we got one goal, we'd most likely get another. And I felt we deserved the one goal. However, had we got the 2nd too, I probably would've said we were fortunate to have got it as I didn't feel overall that we deserved a draw.

Hughes / Brett ... to similar players, great positional play but simple meant nobody was left to pick up the ball in the middle. Hughes won everything and though Shez should have changed it up front a little earlier ... although I know he does favour giving the team a good 15 / 20 minutes after HT to correct things themselves before he rings the changes.

any chance of cutting out the cliche's? :wink:

Kumon now enough is enough, this is a serious thread!

I had to google that one.

Anyway, all I was asking was for people to maintain their equilibrium and stop going off on a tangent. Let’s face it, Latics is the common denominator between us all, even if we do tend to have protractored debates about it.