Tonight's result

Very disappointing result tonight... You would expect to get something from the game with 15 strikes on goal and 11 corners.

By all accounts we played well except for two defensive errors.

If we'd got a goal which our approach play deserved we could have gone on to win the match easily.

We have to go to Swindon now on Saturday and win and beat Scunthorpe on tuesday and we're back on track.!!!!

Very disappointing result tonight... You would expect to get something from the game with 15 strikes on goal and 11 corners.

By all accounts we played well except for two defensive errors.

If we'd got a goal which our approach play deserved we could have gone on to win the match easily.

We have to go to Swindon now on Saturday and win and beat Scunthorpe on tuesday and we're back on track.!!!!

I wondered about the stats as well (are you quoting the BBC, which is what I read?) they make us seem like we were well in it but listening to the very occasional reports from BBC Manchester we sounded very poor. Were you listening to something different?

I wondered about the stats as well (are you quoting the BBC, which is what I read?) they make us seem like we were well in it but listening to the very occasional reports from BBC Manchester we sounded very poor. Were you listening to something different?

Regardless its a very disappointing result. The thing is this is the sort of result we've had for seasons now and you need to be going these sorts of places and coming back with something if you want promotion. Put me in a very low mood.

According to Latics website got what we deserved.

Unfortunately not suprised as we always lose down there.

Looking good for playoffs which I'll take, no team dominating the league yet though, still early days.

Last 2 away games proves we aren't good enough to win this league.

Play offs at best !!!

Last 2 away games proves we aren't good enough to win this league.

Play offs at best !!!

We've beaten Leeds and Millwall. Drawn with Leicester. I think we'll do Scunny next week too. We can beat the top teams - now need to ensure we don't slip up as often against the mid-table dross (cos we become that dross if we do it too often). 1 win in 6 isn't good enough - and that was against Hereford!

Last season, we were defensively pretty good. That's slipped a little this season. Last night sounds like defence let us down. The goal conceded against Leicester was soft too.

The introduction of Whitaker in to the midfield, and the better balance of playing two wide men, has improved us markedly there - still a bit concerned when teams pack the midfield against us, but losing McDonald was a blessing in disguise. When Alessandra plays he gives a stressed midfield an outlet that Davies/O'Grady don't.

Up front, a fit Hughes strengthens us against last season too and our goals scored have increased hugely. I prefer Alessandra alongside him as he links better and holds the ball up better than Davies. Let's assume Ormerod isn't staying.

Priority 1: Sort out what's wrong at the back. Gregan is better than Stam, so why are we leaking more goals with Hazell/Gregan than we did with Hazell/Stam?

Priority 2: Still have niggling doubts about Shez and his ability to maintain motivation and take the team on to a higher level. Every side has a wobble during a season and it is leadership off and on the pitch that gets a team through it. Gregan, Allott, Whitaker do the job on the pitch. Now is the time for Shez to prove his mettle and deliver what's needed on the training ground. Fingers crossed he's got it in him.

Priority 3: Alessandra has had his rest. Now get him back in the team.

Edited by opinions4u

We've beaten Leeds and Millwall. Drawn with Leicester. I think we'll do Scunny next week too. We can beat the top teams - now need to ensure we don't slip up as often against the mid-table dross (cos we become that dross if we do it too often). 1 win in 6 isn't good enough - and that was against Hereford!

Last season, we were defensively pretty good. That's slipped a little this season. Last night sounds like defence let us down. The goal conceded against Leicester was soft too.

The introduction of Whitaker in to the midfield, and the better balance of playing two wide men, has improved us markedly there - still a bit concerned when teams pack the midfield against us, but losing McDonald was a blessing in disguise. When Alessandra plays he gives a stressed midfield an outlet that Davies/O'Grady don't.

Up front, a fit Hughes strengthens us against last season too and our goals scored have increased hugely. I prefer Alessandra alongside him as he links better and holds the ball up better than Davies. Let's assume Ormerod isn't staying.

Priority 1: Sort out what's wrong at the back. Gregan is better than Stam, so why are we leaking more goals with Hazell/Gregan than we did with Hazell/Stam?

Priority 2: Still have niggling doubts about Shez and his ability to maintain motivation and take the team on to a higher level. Every side has a wobble during a season and it is leadership off and on the pitch that gets a team through it. Gregan, Allott, Whitaker do the job on the pitch. Now is the time for Shez to prove his mettle and deliver what's needed on the training ground. Fingers crossed he's got it in him.

Priority 3: Alessandra has had his rest. Now get him back in the team.

Decent post.

On paper we're a much better side than last year, consistencey of play is going to key this season.

We need to ride out mini dips like this one, although we've been picking up draws we need a couple of wins to put us right back in the mix. Swindon & Scunny are beat-able; i know scunny are top at present but we can get at them & i think we're more than capable of turning them over; especially at home. 6 points from our next 2 games and we're bang on track again.

Player wise, its a difficult mix to get right. We all have our favourites & player who we don't so much rate. I personally feel we've missed Eardley and i'd be very very surprised if he isn't back in the starting x1 on saturday. I also agree that Lewis must be close to a recall, as he has had the rest / kick up the bum now & i think he brings alot to plate in terms of his link up play & assists if not his goals!

I believe this season is going to be about keeping in the hunt (as we are still!) right through the season. If we're there or there abouts come Feb time, then a real final push can be made from there. Of the teams that we've played this season, only Leicester last week have impressed me - i think we're one of the stronest sides in the divison & promotion is well in our graps!!!

Keep the faith people, 1 disappointing result does not make a season!!!!!!

Guest oa_exile
Who doesn't think that we will finish in the top six? Most people who have played us have remarked that we are one of the best teams in the division - A Carlisle style collapse is most defiantely not on the cards, and a win on Saturday and all will be better. I don;t think huge changes are needed.

Agree , for a change we are in the mix early doors , just got to keep the momentum going.

We can afford the odd slip-up here and there, I believe no-one will run away with it :unsure: yet another of those anyone he beat anyone else seasons.

Yes, they are BBC stats, and LW commentary said we dominated the play throughout but just couldn't find the net!

Think it's time to add a little mettle to our midfield especially playing away from home and would play Maher or Eardley alongside Allott and Whittaker at the expense of Liddell/Smalley.

We now have the squad to play wing backs in a 3 5 2 and this would be another option. I just think we are a bit exposed playing two out and out wingers and should reserve this formation for home games.

Anybody else agree!!

We now have the squad to play wing backs in a 3 5 2 and this would be another option. I just think we are a bit exposed playing two out and out wingers and should reserve this formation for home games.

Anybody else agree!!

did we set up something like this v leicester, but changed it when byrne went off?

Very disappointed last night - Brizzle were there for the taking and on another night we'd have won that game.

First goal was a stupid one to concede. Lambert picks up the ball about 30 yards out, and everyone back off him! Why?! Then he shoots and Crossley gets nowhere near it - not like it was in the top corner or anything - looked very saveable from where we were stood. Second goal was bog standard flick on/tap in from corner - probably should have dealt with it, but hard to see who exactly was at fault.

If we'd have scored at the start of the second half we'd have had a good chance of getting something. Ormerod would have scored if he'd made more contact with the ball rather than fluffing it. They nearly scored an own goal with a back header, and Reuben should have buried his header.

Most of our threat came from the flanks. Balls through the middle tended to be to the head of Hughes/Ormerod and they didn't have much joy. With Allott/Whitaker not picking up many scraps outside the area it meant Brizzle could usually clear the danger with ease. I thought Eardley might come on for Whitaker playing centre mid, but he's obviously out of favour at the moment.