The "corners" thread

Come on Mr Sheridan. I'm not going to gripe about a bad result here or there, or even a dip in form, these things happen. But I refuse to believe that there has been something special to our club whilst you have been in charge which makes us especially suited to short corners. We've pretty much always had the odd decent centreback or two who could threaten, even if they couldn't defend to save their arses at times, and we've never been short of a midfielder who could get his head on the ball. Hell, Mark Hughes might even have scored for us if we'd pumped a few into the middle.

Let's be honest, we never score from the short routines, do we? What's to lose? Get Lids or Jones or Eards to jolly well kick it as hard as they can towards the middle of the goal at around head height. If teams start to fill the area, try a short corner routine to pull them out a bit...

Edited by leeslover
language again Andrew

Come on Mr Sheridan. I'm not going to gripe about a bad result here or there, or even a dip in form, these things happen. But I refuse to believe that there has been something special to our club whilst you have been in charge which makes us especially suited to short corners. We've pretty much always had the odd decent centreback or two who could threaten, even if they couldn't defend to save their arses at times, and we've never been short of a midfielder who could get his head on the ball. Hell, Mark Hughes might even have scored for us if we'd pumped a few into the middle.

Let's be honest, we never score from the short routines, do we? What's to lose? Get Lids or Jones or Eards to :censored: it as hard as they can towards the middle of the goal at around head height. If teams start to fill the area, try a short corner routine to pull them out a bit...

Or Liddell could just shoot from them ? its tried and tested.

Let's be honest, we never score from the short routines, do we? What's to lose? Get Lids or Jones or Eards to jolly well kick it as hard as they can towards the middle of the goal at around head height. If teams start to fill the area, try a short corner routine to pull them out a bit...

We never look threatening from long corners either:) Attacking headers are not our strong point with the current personel methinks. As for the short corners I think some managers like them as it creates a 2 on 1 situation supposedly giving the attacking team the advantage.

I think the problem is we must be one of the smallest teams in the division so it means really the majority of corners put into the box will be cleared away, althought im not a fan of short corners i can see why Shez is employing them, however, they just dont work. Even when we dont use the short corner it fails to beat the first man, stopped getting excited for corners a while back. Whilst weve got Jones i`d stick him in the box for the corners, add some height for us in there.

What I don't understand is how Gregan is pretty damn good in the air when defending yet he's never looked like scoring from a header when he's up for a corner.

They never get to him? Also, it's probably fair to say that his real strength is winning the ball by outstrengthing the attacker, which isn't quite the same skill as nipping in front of a defender to get a touch.

Guest oa_exile
I remember under Moore people used to moan because we didnt take short corners......

They were under strict orders to get it "Hoofed" into the box every time :grin:

Guest oa_exile
They never get to him? Also, it's probably fair to say that his real strength is winning the ball by outstrengthing the attacker, which isn't quite the same skill as nipping in front of a defender to get a touch.

Eh ? :shock: and there's me thinking that they are footballers :blink: so why do the centre backs in every team come up for corners then ? :unsure:

Eh ? :shock: and there's me thinking that they are footballers :blink: so why do the centre backs in every team come up for corners then ? :unsure:

Because they are big? Even if they aren’t the biggest threat they will always attract the best defenders to them as well (I know this through personal experience). But Michael Owen scores loads with his head, yet I wouldn’t rate his chances of clattering through Dean Windass to clear a high ball when the fat one was standing with his back to goal.

Guest oa_exile
Because they are big? Even if they aren’t the biggest threat they will always attract the best defenders to them as well (I know this through personal experience). But Michael Owen scores loads with his head, yet I wouldn’t rate his chances of clattering through Dean Windass to clear a high ball when the fat one was standing with his back to goal.

Personally I dont think it's a matter of being big or small , you need a plan or even better plan's :wink:

At the moment we dont seem to have a plan never mind plan's, it's just a case of get it into the box and hope for the best.

This is not news , just need to practice it on the training pitch.

Edited by oa_exile

We haven't had a threat from corners since young |Neal Trotman left. We got 20+ games out of him where we fired balls into the box & he caused all sorts of problems for defences because.....HE ATTACKED THE BOX and made a genuine attempt to reach the ball.

We are very static from corners at present - even if Liddell / Whitts / Taylor beat the first man, then non of our players look like getting on the end of it. We seem very clueless as to how to do this, and considering how good in the air Greegs & Reuubs are when defending its a bit of mystery why thatis doesn't transend into attcking corners.

The short corners are really annoying though, as we don't look like making chances from them either - i think a previous poster said something similar but don't get that excited when we get corners now as i used too - simply because we don't look like doing anything from them.

something to be worked hard on in training - but then i've said that before!

Edited by slystallone