Making the most of Hughes

Someone mentioned on another thread that Hughes hasn't been too effective lately. Now I didnt go to the two away games this week but by all accounts he just keeps getting the ball lumped up to him. What a waste of the player.

I don't think we're taking advantage of Hughes as much as we should.....I think he should be on the ball a lot more. To do the most damage Hughes needs the ball at his feet, in the final third, facing goal.

So how about this formation?? It's a bit 'Champ Manager' but....

---------------------Crossley--------------------

Eards-------Gregan--------Hazell-------Lomax

---Taylor/Maher-----Allot-------Whittaker----

-----Taylor/Liddell/Lewi---Hughes------------

-----------------Davies/O'Grady---------------

Although Hughes is seen as an out and out striker I think he could be more effective for Latics playing off a frontman, linking up with our other clever players (Lidds, Lewi and Taylor), and running at defenders. I also believe he would be more of a goal threat in this role.

This 4-3-2-1 would also make us a bit tougher through the middle. However it could expose our full-backs a little, so, on recent displays this might be a horrible idea!! Still, at least we could count on Temple to come charging out and claim every cross :lol:

I still think this could be a formation to suit our best players.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Hughes hasn't been too effective lately. Now I didnt go to the two away games this week but by all accounts he just keeps getting the ball lumped up to him. What a waste of the player.

I don't think we're taking advantage of Hughes as much as we should.....I think he should be on the ball a lot more. To do the most damage Hughes needs the ball at his feet, in the final third, facing goal.

So how about this formation?? It's a bit 'Champ Manager' but....

Although Hughes is seen as an out and out striker I think he could be more effective for Latics playing off a frontman, linking up with our other clever players (Lidds, Lewi and Taylor), and running at defenders. I also believe he would be more of a goal threat in this role.

This 4-3-2-1 would also make us a bit tougher through the middle. However it could expose our full-backs a little, so, on recent displays this might be a horrible idea!! Still, at least we could count on Temple to come charging out and claim every cross :lol:

Drop him. Show him he isn't indespensible.

Drop him. Show him he isn't indespensible.

:lol:

Brilliant management, yeah, i was the first to admit yeaterday that Hughesy was a shadow of his former self, or the player he can be - but as has been said he has had sod all service, and ormerod makes the same runs as him, and the midfield are absolutely miles away in terms of support...

I totally agree with Stitch, we just arent playing to our stengths at the moment. our strenghts are Taylor and Hughes, and we need to build a team that gets the most out of them. That is not what we have at the moment - Liddell is a passenger, Allott is looking isolated, we might as well play acrdboard cut out for a second striker, and Whits is doinga dissapearing act at the moment.... how is that supporting our best players?

Lewis should be in the team again, he needed a break, but its time to bring him back, and as has been mentioned, get some fight back in the midfield... sure maher could bring that.

They all need a kick up the backside, but the last thing you do in a dip is drop your best player, and only real goalscorer. You do everything you can do get him playing back at his best.

The whole team should be on the ball a lot more. The midfield is being by-passed, as the ball is hoofed Moore than ever, and uncannily finding the opposition 99% of the time. It's time to get the ball on the floor and start playing football again.

Hughes is probably the best out and out striker in this division, but he needs the ball to his feet or chest, it's no good pumping a ball 60 yards up front and hoping he'll win a header or run after it for 30 yards and then be miles away from goal, that's just not his game, buit you put the ball to his feet within 15 yards of goal and sooner or later he'll get you a goal. I agree he didn't do a lot yesterday but no wonder with the service he got. When Davies came on yesterday he ran after everything, if he (or lewis) can do that and the midfield press on more and support Hughes then we will score goals. I'd like to see Stephens given a game or at least a half to see how he gets on, and with the way whits and allot have been lately I don't see what we've got to lose by trying, maybe stick maher in with him to have a more holding role allowing Stephens to push on to support the front two.

Just at thought like.........................

Eards-------Gregan--------Hazell-------Lomax Davies

---Taylor-----Allot-------Whittaker----

-----Lewi------------------------Hughes------------

--------------

I think I've spotted a problem with using Davies as a front man playing others in.

If it's tactical changes then we need to do something to get an extra body in the midfield when required. Perhaps it's been because Lewis hasn't been dropping back that Whitaker hasn't been pushing on the way he was? Or maybe it's as simple as playing more narrowly. Either way it's not quite working for us just now.

I think I've spotted a problem with using Davies as a front man playing others in.

If it's tactical changes then we need to do something to get an extra body in the midfield when required. Perhaps it's been because Lewis hasn't been dropping back that Whitaker hasn't been pushing on the way he was? Or maybe it's as simple as playing more narrowly. Either way it's not quite working for us just now.

Davies could do alright with two clever players behind him centrally. If not what can he do? I certainly wasnt intending him to be the man playing others in. His main role up top is to keep the defence pushed deep with his pace which enables Hughes, Lewi, Taylor/Lidds and co to do their stuff deep in the opposition half. Having said that O'Grady or Ormerod could do the job....I particularly think O'Grady could look good if we could get players closer to him!!

Doesn't my suggested tactical change get the extra bodies in midfield?

If we could get away with 15 players on the pitch,i think it would work

Davies could do alright with two clever players behind him centrally. If not what can he do? I certainly wasnt intending him to be the man playing others in. His main role up top is to keep the defence pushed deep with his pace which enables Hughes, Lewi, Taylor/Lidds and co to do their stuff deep in the opposition half. Having said that O'Grady or Ormerod could do the job....I particularly think O'Grady could look good if we could get players closer to him!!

Doesn't my suggested tactical change get the extra bodies in midfield?

I see what you mean, I just suspect it would still mean Hughes going down the middle at CF with Lewis or whoever supporting behind, whilst CD ran along the top row of the Lookers Paddock, so only really substituting Lewis for the role Whitaker played earlier on. Just my cynical mind, like.

The truth is, we dont really need to drop Hughes. It's only a matter of time before he is out injured again with that groin again. Sooner, rather than later I hope.

Yeah! Spot on, cos without Hughesy's 6 goals, and 9/10 assists this season we will have scored, erm, well, maybe... yeah Loads of goals, raining goals from everywhere!

Totally agree - Wolfy and Mental up front. Its the future, now, like....

Hughes can drop off, and he can do it very well, but he's better elsewhere. I'd definitely say the reason why he seems to be a shadow in recent games is the noted lack of service. I was one of those who wanted to see a different player up top when Lewi was in the side, but it's that classic thing, isn't it? It's like Heskey. Now, he isn't that good individually, but when you look at the team side of things, he's bloody important. I think this also applies to Lewi. He gets in the way sometimes, but when he drops off, and when he was in the side, Hughesy was fantastic. He had room, he didn't have to drop into the hole, and he could cause defenders problems all day long with his ability to do different things.

As long as Shez gets either central midfielder to support him more, Lewi could very well be the player to get our form back on the right track.

Still, that doesn't mean the other players who've played like wallies for the last month and half are safe from being dropped.

Hughes can drop off, and he can do it very well, but he's better elsewhere. I'd definitely say the reason why he seems to be a shadow in recent games is the noted lack of service. I was one of those who wanted to see a different player up top when Lewi was in the side, but it's that classic thing, isn't it? It's like Heskey. Now, he isn't that good individually, but when you look at the team side of things, he's bloody important. I think this also applies to Lewi. He gets in the way sometimes, but when he drops off, and when he was in the side, Hughesy was fantastic. He had room, he didn't have to drop into the hole, and he could cause defenders problems all day long with his ability to do different things.

As long as Shez gets either central midfielder to support him more, Lewi could very well be the player to get our form back on the right track.

Still, that doesn't mean the other players who've played like wallies for the last month and half are safe from being dropped.

Absolutely spot on. I too was one saying Lewis needed a break, but the player I would have replaced him with was O'Grady... the way Lewi drops off and pulls one of the two defenders that are now perma-marking hughes out of position is utterly essential.... we need that 2-dimensionality (ooh, good word) back upfront... and hughes and ormerod just dont offer that....

Also - as you say, 9 times out of 10 Lewi gets something on the ball when an aimless ball is hoofed up to him, even against much bigger defenders... he is a pain in the backside for the opposition... it might not always come off but just that presence takes some of the impact off hughes being marked out of the game....