Should Snow Mean A Postponement?

Just read this:

"Walsall's League One home game with Swindon was also called off, with the decision coming an hour before the intended kick-off.

Referee Carl Boyeson found the pitch covered in a thin layer of snow, and decided the surface would be too dangerous to play on."

Now I've not seen the pitch and Mr Boyeson has, so it's his call. But based on this report, the game hasn't been called off because of a frozen pitch (which is clearly dangerous), but because of a "thin layer of snow".

I can remember watching many games where the snow has been shoveled off the pitch, the pitch markings highlighted by completely removing the snow from the lines and entertaining football being played with the added excitement of an orange ball.

Are refs a bit soft these days?

Edited by opinions4u

Had a meeting with my dissertation supervisor today who's a Col U fan, he said their game should never have been called off.

That said, after watching the pictures on SSN of the abandoned games...those ones were definately right to be called off. Couldn't see the white lines.

EDIT: Although from looking at the pictures on the Cobblers fishal...I'm not sure which Sixfields he was at!

Edited by jsslatic

i wtached this on sky sports news and it was postponed because the ball could not roll - which apparently is now criteria

So in the past, the use of a few shovels and a bit of hard work by ground staff was possible but we're not capable of such effort in this day and age?

It's an odd one.

If there's a blizzard blowing, no game.

If the snow has fallen 10 minutes before kick off, no game.

If the snow has been on the ground for a couple of hours, get your bloody finger out and clear the pitch!!

Would they have played the game if Tranmere had been participating?

Edited by opinions4u

If you can't see the lines then yes. If there is enough snow to hold the natural run of the ball - possibly.

Get the orange balls back out :D

agree the orange ball very rarely gets seen these days???????????????????????

rememebr games in the past and it was never a problem in doing that

Exactly, if the ball dosent roll properly, like a waterlogged pitch it will be called off.

Unless you're playing in a not very important tournament like Euro 2008...

Messing with the game IMO. Next we'll be calling off games with high winds coz the ball won't drop where it should. This "roll of the ball"....what a crock of :censored:....you might as well prepare for a doubling of games cancelled this season if that's the rule coz after Xmas the pitches will be as poor as most seasons*

* Unless you have a soooper doooper Desso system/pitch :wink:

Unless you're playing in a not very important tournament like Euro 2008...

Messing with the game IMO. Next we'll be calling off games with high winds coz the ball won't drop where it should. This "roll of the ball"....what a crock of :censored:....you might as well prepare for a doubling of games cancelled this season if that's the rule coz after Xmas the pitches will be as poor as most seasons*

* Unless you have a soooper doooper Desso system/pitch :wink:

By 'roll of the ball' they mean that if it comes to a stop almost immediately, thus creating a 'hazard' as players then make unnatural twists/turns to get to the ball and tackling becomes dangerous. - Though i totally agree with you, it is turning it a bit mard.

I loved watching football with snow on the pitch. It was scraped off the lines, which were painted blue and, of course, there was the orange ball. Latics 11 Southport 2 on Boxing day 1962 on a snow-covered BP pitch was the classic. The crowd was 14,662 and the lads went on to gain promotion to the Third Division - happy days!

2984112757_042577ca26.jpg

Jimmy Frizzell and Barry Martin search for the penalty spot before Martin scored in a 2-3 defeat to Carlisle United on 16th January 1965

(not 1964 as stated in the rarely wrong book 'One Hundred Years One Hundred Images One Ground') from which the picture has been borrowed.

Note: the crowd of 4,950 was the second-lowest home crowd of the season - soft Oldhamers.!The lowest away crowd was 3,260 at QPR on 19th April - even softer Southerners!

Didn't Rog the Dodge score the record breaking goal in the 4-0 win against Ipswich with an orange ball on the plastic fantastic?

If we played in the snow and Hughes fell over and broke his leg surely we would be blaming the ref?

With health and safety these days its hard for refs to play on a dangerous surface

If we played in the snow and Hughes fell over and broke his leg surely we would be blaming the ref?

With health and safety these days its hard for refs to play on a dangerous surface

If the pitch isnt frozen then how is it dangerous ?? You could argue it is slippy....but any more slippy than a wet pitch...nope....

If the pitch isnt frozen and the ball can roll then I see no reason to call the game off....

If the pitch isnt frozen then how is it dangerous ?? You could argue it is slippy....but any more slippy than a wet pitch...nope....

If the pitch isnt frozen and the ball can roll then I see no reason to call the game off....

Spot on, and while on the subject of slippery surfaces, the watering of the pitch shortly before kick-off and at half-time is a groin strain waiting to happen.

But the ball couldn't roll hence the postponement. The ball not rolling leads to higher chance of mistimed dangerous challenges. Also not being able to see the lines is an issue

If it's a "light covering of snow" the ball should be able to roll.

If not, get the shovels out and ask some fans to help clear the pitch to make the thing roll.