Cloughie Immortalised.

the only thing ive read on it is shez who says it was 'the strangest part of my career'

Perhaps leeslover or rummytheowl can Google the words culture players drinking young to conclude whether the 'football genious' was in or out of order to get rid of Shez after one game.

Note: Shez arrived at Forest from dirty Leeds after falling out with Howard Wilkinson. After his transfer from Forest to Sheffield Wednesday, Shez returned to the City Ground with his new club and scored the winner against Forest. He also went on to be voted Wednesday's best ever player and the rest is history.

Perhaps leeslover or rummytheowl can Google the words culture players drinking young to conclude whether the 'football genious' was in or out of order to get rid of Shez after one game.

Not everyone can buy into the Legend crap, I suppose people have to understand that.

dedhrseun1.gif

:bored:

I'm out of this topic...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...onf/7714976.stm

The statue for Clough jnr edges closer :)

I can see Shane Meadows making a film, and perhaps Paddy Considine could play the character described by a critic as Nigel's "exceptionally unpleasant human being" of a father or, if Paddy isn't available, perhaps a Hitler or Attila The Hun lookalike. :wink:

The positioning of the statue must not detract from this piece of street sculpture. :D

518000926_9177568763.jpg

Good grief!!! How long has that been there?! I've been trying to work out where exactly that is. Junction of New St., Lichfield St. and High St.? I'm pretty sure that the camera shop and cafe are opposite. And is that Manor Drive?

If it is then, The Dog is just round the corner.

I really miss the old town...........................................sometimes!!

Good grief!!! How long has that been there?! I've been trying to work out where exactly that is. Junction of New St., Lichfield St. and High St.? I'm pretty sure that the camera shop and cafe are opposite. And is that Manor Drive?

I really miss the old town...........................................sometimes!!

You have pin-pointed it correctly! It's been there for at least 8 years, and it has been credited with bringing Latics luck when I've walked through it on the eve of a game. Must admit I've not been through it for some time. :disappointed:

Three B.A.L.L.S. went in The Dog recently and I got the Deputy Editor of the Burton Mail interested in the Ernie Flag story - he's making enquiries with football publications.

There was a major outcry in Burton when it was erected (well, a few people tutted). Apparently the shovel was at one time used in some particularly nasty working conditions in the brewing trade and the sculpture was seen by some as glorifying these conditions. Others just thought it was a pointless spade with a beer bottle shape cut out of it.

I'd be amazed if Nigel didn't cut the ribbon on it - he'll turn up to the opening of an envelope in Burton (not a criticism btw, it keeps the club's profile high in the town)

Edited by oafc_ok

You have pin-pointed it correctly! It's been there for at least 8 years, and it has been credited with bringing Latics luck when I've walked through it on the eve of a game. Must admit I've not been through it for some time. :disappointed:

Three B.A.L.L.S. went in The Dog recently and I got the Deputy Editor of the Burton Mail interested in the Ernie Flag story - he's making enquiries with football publications.

Are you sure it's been there eight years? I didn't notice it the last time I was in Burton, which must have been August 2003, and it's pretty hard to miss!!!

There was a major outcry in Burton when it was erected (well, a few people tutted). Apparently the shovel was at one time used in some particularly nasty working conditions in the brewing trade and the sculpture was seen by some as glorifying these conditions. Others just thought it was a pointless spade with a beer bottle shape cut out of it.

I'd be amazed if Nigel didn't cut the ribbon on it - he'll turn up to the opening of an envelope in Burton (not a criticism btw, it keeps the club's profile high in the town)

Is the Burton Cooper still around? A much more glorious representation of the town's brewing heritage. And where (before they put a roof on the shopping precinct) I used to meet my girlfriend braving the Burton Mods/Scooter Boys in the process :D

He might not have been a very nice person and he certainly had a long struggle with the drink, but both his incredible scoring record as a player and his exceptional managerial career really do stand the closest inspection in terms of success and achievement.

If only he'd been fully versed in appraisals, career management converstaions, 1:1s, performance plans, psychometric assessments and personality profiling, I'm sure he would have got the England manager's job.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns