NHL

It wasnt, it was HJK Helsinki, Jokerit's main rivals, wore my Jokerit shirt with pride that night! Some of the looks and conversations I had with HJK fans that night were priceless... I wore the either the finland shirt, or a Jokerit shirt to every storm game, so maybe that where your memory is from! :wink:

You may have certain memory connections with British Ice hockey as Jokerit actually bought the Newcastle Vipers... and changed the logo ond shirt to the same as Jokerit's.... that was during my time at Uni - so i'd say around 2000ish, again had the opportunity to toddle down the the Sheffield arena and wear the Jokerit shirt on a few occisions supporting Newcastle....

I recognised the badge from the Jesters shirt/takeover, IIRC they ended up with a Finnish coach and half a team of Finns to boot as a result. Thought Jokerit were that side but I stand corrected.

A quick browse on Wikipedia shows Pasi Nielikainen is currently on Jokerit's books...and his page says:

'Nielikäinen also is not shy to dropping gloves and scrapping on the ice.'

From his brief time before the collapse of the Storm, that's pretty much bang on.

Jokerit also have Antti-Jussi Niemi...surely the lovechild of two Premiership goalkeepers if ever there was one.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, it was a pretty darn good ENG!

I read that Tony Hand hit the post on an Emptynetter which would have given him his 4,000th career point; in his home town, in front of his entire family and in the rink he played his first ever game... Can you imagine how gutted you'd be!?!

As for the All Star game, it's a sham. They should double the skills competition section and halve the game!

Anyone following the Paul Avery 'outrage'? It's amazing. The guy's a giant arse, there's no doubting it. He says stupid things and picks on the oppositions key players. That's his job basically and he's pretty damn good at it. He's not especially dirty by league standards and I've seen players bust peoples heads and not even take a boarding call. So what did Avery do to get a league imposed 'indefinate suspension' you ask? He, in a throw away comment at the end of a none live and boring interview, said something along the lines of 'some players I could mention seem to like my sloppy seconds' ... Well lock him up and throw away the key.

The NHL makes itself look really stupid at times. There's talk of Dallas putting him on Waivers and Bret Hull (manager of Dallas for those not paying attention) said maybe he needs medical help for his mental problems!!

Still, it's made sports centre more interesting!

Anyone following the Paul Avery 'outrage'? It's amazing. The guy's a giant arse, there's no doubting it. He says stupid things and picks on the oppositions key players. That's his job basically and he's pretty damn good at it. He's not especially dirty by league standards and I've seen players bust peoples heads and not even take a boarding call. So what did Avery do to get a league imposed 'indefinate suspension' you ask? He, in a throw away comment at the end of a none live and boring interview, said something along the lines of 'some players I could mention seem to like my sloppy seconds' ... Well lock him up and throw away the key.

The NHL makes itself look really stupid at times. There's talk of Dallas putting him on Waivers and Bret Hull (manager of Dallas for those not paying attention) said maybe he needs medical help for his mental problems!!

Still, it's made sports centre more interesting!

Avery Link...

Yeah, interesting stuff... suppose in football speak it is like how the leage enjoys penalising the likes of Robbie Savage, or off the pitch a Mourinho.. as their reputation preceeds them. he has publically criticised the NHL enough times to mean that something like this will warrant them throwing the book a him...

Sure it will come to the hearing and he will get let off... as you say, it would set a difficult situation for the NHL is they enforce this suspension....

The sloppy seconds image does however create a few interesting connotations when you realise he is actuually referring to Elisha Cuthbert though! :wub:

Ah well... at least it means the stars lose another player for the short term, bloody awful at th moment... strengthening the Ducks position in the Pacific! :)

Avery's a quality player, and he's one of those who opposition fans love to hate, and do so because of his ability...

He's a bit like Ronaldo, major celebrity and undoubted talent...he's been criticised for diving etc (rightfully) but that's accepted by the fans of whoever he's playing for...fans will always support their players...say with the Avery screening Brodeur thing, it's not sporting and due to who he is people kick up a fuss, but really it's quite clever and you'd cheer it if he played for you...a la Dean Windass/Rory Delap warm-up tactic last weekend.

Avery's a quality player, and he's one of those who opposition fans love to hate, and do so because of his ability...

He's a bit like Ronaldo, major celebrity and undoubted talent...he's been criticised for diving etc (rightfully) but that's accepted by the fans of whoever he's playing for...fans will always support their players...say with the Avery screening Brodeur thing, it's not sporting and due to who he is people kick up a fuss, but really it's quite clever and you'd cheer it if he played for you...a la Dean Windass/Rory Delap warm-up tactic last weekend.

That really pissed me off that! Thought it was good that the league acted so quickly to make it illegal after he had done it though.

We are closing in on the Pens in the standings. 2 point behind, with 3 less games played. 8-2-0 in out last 10 aswell.

The thing I dont understand though, how have the Rangers managed to play 31 games so far, but the Devils have only played 25? One or two games difference is ok, but 6 games is a lot!

We are closing in on the Pens in the standings. 2 point behind, with 3 less games played. 8-2-0 in out last 10 aswell.

The thing I dont understand though, how have the Rangers managed to play 31 games so far, but the Devils have only played 25? One or two games difference is ok, but 6 games is a lot!

It's strange isn't it? But not that uncommon. We've played the fewest games in the entire NHL for whatever reason. As long as we keep performing it doesn't matter we have to play more games!

Did you see Gomez for the rangers last night? Beat the piss out of someone then scored the OT winner. Nice days work. I'd love him back. Rafalski is rocking it for the Wings too, and Asham. Seems like one time Devils week on the highlight reels here

Wow. Just watched the highlights from the Devils-Rangers game last night.

Dave, if you're not sure whether to download the game or not...avoid finding the score and watch it in full. I wish I had rather than just watching the highlights. Jeez.

Right, off to Peterborough.

Wow. Just watched the highlights from the Devils-Rangers game last night.

Dave, if you're not sure whether to download the game or not...avoid finding the score and watch it in full. I wish I had rather than just watching the highlights. Jeez.

Right, off to Peterborough.

The site i download the games off doesnt have a capper for this one, so i just watched the highlights....wow. What a game that looked like.

Brian Gionta is the man!

Remarkable result for the Wings last night, they've been in (for them) awful touch of late too.

And back on the Avery thing, the Stars' form since the whole mess has been very impressive, chalked up another W last night too.

Pens win, Flyers lose...and once more all in the NHL seems right again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you missed it....

Linky to Bobby Ryan's Hat-trick goal against the kings.... just simply awesome.... and Bobby is well on the way to competing for RoY at the moment...

360...fake.... In the Net...

Shame about the result though.... two terrible pieces of goaltending cost the game in the first.... however, when God returns at the start of february with him Ryan and Getzlaf on fire it is looking good for the season...

Some discussion about rushing Selanne back for the 16th against the pens.... however the feeling is he will be rested for the harder games at the start of february :wink:

Just in case you missed it....

Linky to Bobby Ryan's Hat-trick goal against the kings.... just simply awesome.... and Bobby is well on the way to competing for RoY at the moment...

360...fake.... In the Net...

Shame about the result though.... two terrible pieces of goaltending cost the game in the first.... however, when God returns at the start of february with him Ryan and Getzlaf on fire it is looking good for the season...

Some discussion about rushing Selanne back for the 16th against the pens.... however the feeling is he will be rested for the harder games at the start of february :wink:

Thanks for posting that, quality goal.

Fair shout at the end, by the way. Another complete capitulation last night.

Next four games: Away at the Avs, Away at the Flyers, Home to the Caps, Home to Disney on Ice.

Potential for two points in Colorado, I'd be pleasantly surprised with more than one in the three after.

After ten months on the road and with only 7 days left I finally got to see my beloved Devils..... Play the worst game of hockey I've ever seen and get shutout at home to freakin Thrashers!!!

Damn you cruel hockey God!!!

After ten months on the road and with only 7 days left I finally got to see my beloved Devils..... Play the worst game of hockey I've ever seen and get shutout at home to freakin Thrashers!!!

Damn you cruel hockey God!!!

I take it you dont want me to download that game and put it on the disc with the daily show then?

Next four games: Away at the Avs, Away at the Flyers, Home to the Caps, Home to Disney on Ice.

Potential for two points in Colorado, I'd be pleasantly surprised with more than one in the three after.

Just watched the highlights.... firstly, all three pens goals are absolute quality, a joy to watch...

BUT... my god the Penguins cant clear thier own net, think everyone has utterly worked out that if you put up a screen in front of them and just rush the net it is so easy to get chances... they just arent going to get anywhere near the stanley cup this year unless they sort that out...

... and having more than one line is also helpful, no matter how good that line is :wink:

Just watched the highlights.... firstly, all three pens goals are absolute quality, a joy to watch...

BUT... my god the Penguins cant clear thier own net, think everyone has utterly worked out that if you put up a screen in front of them and just rush the net it is so easy to get chances... they just arent going to get anywhere near the stanley cup this year unless they sort that out...

... and having more than one line is also helpful, no matter how good that line is :wink:

I've said it before, the media are reporting that the 'slump' continues, it's not a slump...it's a full on collapse. A slump is a few games...this has been a few weeks...and the signs were there early season. 3 up against Washington, lost 4-3. Threw away a 3-0 lead against Philly and scraped through in OT. 5 up against Edmonton with about 21 mins to play...scraped in 5-4 thanks to a couple of lucky breaks in the last minute.

You're right, the defence is not what it should be. Hopefully when Gonchar returns he'll give it a boost...but until something needs to be done. They traded Sydor for Boucher...and it got worse. Plus we're not really scoring anymore...still one of the top scorers but the problems are masked by the fact that we were knocking them in for fun at the start of the year. And as good as the likes of Fedotenko (who's also out now for a bit after breaking his hand in a fight) are, Hossa hasn't been replaced properly.

We don't have one line...it's rare Crosby and Malkin will play on the same line. The problem is those around them, noones consistent...when Sykora's on form, Satan is off...and vice versa. Staal has been awful for weeks until he scored in Nashville, and was promptly rewarded with a $16m contract (although it does appear to have kicked him up the arse!). Kennedy scored his first goal for yonks in Atlanta a few days ago. Dupuis's a shadow of his former self. I miss Ryan Malone.

We don't have one line...it's rare Crosby and Malkin will play on the same line. The problem is those around them, noones consistent...when Sykora's on form, Satan is off...and vice versa. Staal has been awful for weeks until he scored in Nashville, and was promptly rewarded with a $16m contract (although it does appear to have kicked him up the arse!). Kennedy scored his first goal for yonks in Atlanta a few days ago. Dupuis's a shadow of his former self. I miss Ryan Malone.

:lol:

:hooked:

Yeah I know... unfortuntately for the Pens recently it feels like they are playing on the same line due to the amount of time they are spending chasing the game and double shifting... as you say though, the others around them need to perform too if last season is going to be replicated... as you say though, all about playoff hackey and coming good then... I can guarantee no-one in the conference will want to play a low Pens in the first round of the playoffs... especially if they get any sort of run going into the post season...

Corey Perry back for the ducks tonight... :) ... need a win otherwise heading for slumpsville with the Pens....