NHL

Next four games: Away at the Avs, Away at the Flyers, Home to the Caps, Home to Disney on Ice.

Potential for two points in Colorado, I'd be pleasantly surprised with more than one in the three after.

That would make me 'pleasantly surprised'.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big one tonight: Ducks vs Penguins, Bigfin vs jss, Disney creation vs real hockey...

NHL preview:

The past few weeks have already been difficult for the Pittsburgh Penguins. A growing injury list that now includes captain Sidney Crosby doesn't figure to help them escape their rut.

With Crosby listed as questionable, the Penguins continue a five-game homestand Friday night with a matchup against the struggling Anaheim Ducks.

Defending Eastern Conference champion Pittsburgh (21-20-4) allowed Washington to score four times in the final 20 minutes of a 6-3 loss on Wednesday night to fall for the sixth time in its last seven home games.

The Penguins, who won 4-2 at Atlantic Division rival Philadelphia Tuesday, are 6-14-0 since Dec. 6 and have lost eight of their last 10 overall.

"(Tuesday's game) felt easy. It felt like things were natural and that we didn't have to work that hard to be successful, and when you're playing the right way, that's how it feels," winger Matt Cooke said. "Wednesday night, it felt like no matter how hard we worked, it just wasn't there."

Adding to the disappointment of the defeat was the loss of Crosby, who contributed two assists before being hurt late in the game following a collision with Capitals center David Steckel along the boards.

The fourth-year star underwent an MRI exam and sat out Thursday's optional practice with a lower-body injury - possibly to his left knee - but his status won't be decided until Friday morning. He missed 28 games last season with an ankle problem.

Along with Crosby, defenseman Rob Scuderi (face) and forward Maxime Talbot (undisclosed) were hurt Wednesday. All three are listed as day-to-day.

Considering the Penguins are already dealing with injuries to four other players, coach Michel Therrien expects his club to take these setbacks in stride.

"We face adversity and it seems to be like that since the beginning of the year," he said. "We can't feel sorry about ourselves."

Therrien's squad hopes to capitalize on facing an Anaheim team that's been experiencing its own struggles with three losses in the last four games. Each of those contests was a 4-3 decision, most recently against defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit at home on Wednesday.

Ryan Getzlaf had a goal and two assists, but it wasn't enough as the Red Wings scored twice in a 35-second span in the third period.

Anaheim (22-18-5) had won all 14 games in which it owned the lead after the first 40 minutes, according to the team's official Web site.

"We just found a way to lose," said Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who made 29 saves. "Teams that play with confidence, they find a way to win. I think the Red Wings did that. We don't always do that. It's going to be up to us, the veterans especially, to step up and create something here."

Giguere can start with a solid effort versus the Penguins, against whom he has a 1.50 goals-against average in winning three of four career starts.

Anaheim has won seven of its last 10 versus Pittsburgh with all three losses coming on the road, including 5-4 on Oct. 6, 2007 in the teams' most recent matchup.

The Ducks, opening a five-game road trip, are 2-6-1 away from home since the start of December.

LET'S...GO...PENS...

Edited by jsslatic

The big one tonight: Ducks vs Penguins, Bigfin vs jss, Disney creation vs real hockey...

NHL preview:

LET'S...GO...PENS...

Ho Hoo! Its the battle of the Slumps.... probably will be decides as to whether Giguere wants to actually turn up tonight... and if the Ducks can stop being so bloody awful on the road...

Not confident at all... but hey, if you are going to play anyone at the moment to break a road slump its the pens... mind you, I said that about the Kings and the lightning recently too... :disappointed:

... Ah well... we will see...

:ass3::banana2::banana3::imnotworthy::dance::bblue2:

Walt Disney, Coach Bombay, Conway, Julie The Cat, Knucklepuck guy, Bigfinlatic...your boys have taken one helluva beating...ONE HELLUVA BEATING! :grin:

Tight and hard fought game, delighted that with the result especially with all the injuries we had before this week, plus Crosby out for tonight and Orpik going out in the first period...brilliant performance! All topped off by Geno jumping Perry for some reason at the final horn...

Right, revision time...need to get this done before I hit the hay...so much for being able to work whilst just dipping in and out of the hockey...

:ass3::banana2::banana3::imnotworthy::dance::bblue2:

Walt Disney, Coach Bombay, Conway, Julie The Cat, Knucklepuck guy, Bigfinlatic...your boys have taken one helluva beating...ONE HELLUVA BEATING! :grin:

Tight and hard fought game, delighted that with the result especially with all the injuries we had before this week, plus Crosby out for tonight and Orpik going out in the first period...brilliant performance! All topped off by Geno jumping Perry for some reason at the final horn...

Right, revision time...need to get this done before I hit the hay...so much for being able to work whilst just dipping in and out of the hockey...

His name was Russ Tyler... how could you forget the guy who won the world juniors by swapping uniforms with the goaltender :wink:

Ugh... The Ducks are awful at the moment, losing to the pens reserves, V bad.... After watching the highlights I have to say it looked a pretty even game, however it game down to exactly wha I said... Giguere... three pretty poor goals to give up again... and a couple more he let through the pads, just doesnt have the head in the game at the moment... mind you Hiller isnt much better at the moment either....

Think the old beating that Motodor gave out in the forst set the tone for the night.... I'd even say Perry won that final fight... however that is bugger all consolation...

Get Fit soon Teemu - we neeed you!

Get Fit soon Teemu - we neeed you!

The Islanders! The :censored: ing Islanders....!! Honestly, this seriously cant get any worse... Thank god for the all-star break as this is getting really sodding depressing.... I'm thinking of dusting offf my skates and offering my services to the ducks, bloody hell... we need Selanne back soon, please!

What a week for the teams I support... Oldham get pasted by Hereford, Celtic get beaten by Gary Mac, and the Ducks lose to the islanders....

:disappointed:

The Islanders! The :censored: ing Islanders....!! Honestly, this seriously cant get any worse... Thank god for the all-star break as this is getting really sodding depressing.... I'm thinking of dusting offf my skates and offering my services to the ducks, bloody hell... we need Selanne back soon, please!

What a week for the teams I support... Oldham get pasted by Hereford, Celtic get beaten by Gary Mac, and the Ducks lose to the islanders....

:disappointed:

Lol, the Islanders. One of the couple of NHL games I've been to was Devils v Islanders, which the Islanders won 2-1. With about 2 mins to go, a devils fan behind me shouted, in disbelief, "we're losing....to the ISLANDERS!" It was then that I realised, they musn't be very good.

Gutted for ya Ack...I've seen Marty play ;)....but we lost. Must have been a bad loss because there was a guy behind me who proclaimed rather loudly:

"We're losing....to the ISLANDERS!"

Lol, the Islanders. One of the couple of NHL games I've been to was Devils v Islanders, which the Islanders won 2-1. With about 2 mins to go, a devils fan behind me shouted, in disbelief, "we're losing....to the ISLANDERS!" It was then that I realised, they musn't be very good.

It's getting boring now :wink:

Still in disbelief at result from Tuesday night. We're 3 from 4 including a great win in Philly, a shut-out against the Rangers and the routine defeat of the Ducks...the slump is over...and then lose at home to the bloody Hurricanes and slip to tenth in the Conference.

Definately now a four team struggle for the last two playoff spots between the Pens, Carolina, Florida and Buffalo.

It's getting boring now :wink:

Still in disbelief at result from Tuesday night. We're 3 from 4 including a great win in Philly, a shut-out against the Rangers and the routine defeat of the Ducks...the slump is over...and then lose at home to the bloody Hurricanes and slip to tenth in the Conference.

Definately now a four team struggle for the last two playoff spots between the Pens, Carolina, Florida and Buffalo.

Haha...thought id told that one before!

Haha...thought id told that one before!

I've heard it about 10 times Dave - you 'kin love that story!!

I should also point out the Devils - after getting stuffed 4-0 on my only visit - are now topping the division with yet one more game in hand on the Rangers!

If you can find one person who predicted that when we lost Marty I'll show you someone who's mentally ill!!

LETS GO DEVILS!

Ps. Bigfin - hahahahahahaaha :lol:

I've heard it about 10 times Dave - you 'kin love that story!!

I should also point out the Devils - after getting stuffed 4-0 on my only visit - are now topping the division with yet one more game in hand on the Rangers!

If you can find one person who predicted that when we lost Marty I'll show you someone who's mentally ill!!

LETS GO DEVILS!

Ps. Bigfin - hahahahahahaaha :lol:

I knew it would be a good thing...Marty aint all that! (and if you believe that, you will believe anything)

Who did we lose to when you went? Maybe we shouldnt go over to see them again, bit of a curse....we even saw an end to the LA Kings unbeaten start last season!

I knew it would be a good thing...Marty aint all that! (and if you believe that, you will believe anything)

Who did we lose to when you went? Maybe we shouldnt go over to see them again, bit of a curse....we even saw an end to the LA Kings unbeaten start last season!

We lost to the then second bottom Thrashers when I was there.

If we make it out we need to aim for when they have a double header weekend or when they have a Thursday/Saturday home and home so we can double our chances of a win.

We could also get tickets for the first game and then go down on the day for the second game, 'cos 4hrs before the game starts they sell off tickets for $10 for the upper tier.

We lost to the then second bottom Thrashers when I was there.

If we make it out we need to aim for when they have a double header weekend or when they have a Thursday/Saturday home and home so we can double our chances of a win.

We could also get tickets for the first game and then go down on the day for the second game, 'cos 4hrs before the game starts they sell off tickets for $10 for the upper tier.

Thats a plan...now I just need to find a new job!

Thats a plan...now I just need to find a new job!

Yeh, the complete lack of money does some what hinder our eveil plans...

Maybe next season eh.

We should have a Playoff party if our respective teams match up.... JSS, BF... you in?

Yeh, the complete lack of money does some what hinder our eveil plans...

Maybe next season eh.

We should have a Playoff party if our respective teams match up.... JSS, BF... you in?

If I'm in Manchester, why not.

No need to ask BigFin though...as if the Ducks are going to make the Stanley Cup final... :shock::unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the Superbowl and the talk of the game at Wembley this year made me wonder about the NHL Europe openers this year. So a quick google search and lo and behold...announcements have been made today that the Chicago have been invited to face Florida in Prague (NHL relaying story from Chicago paper), and the San Jose website claims the Sharks have also been invited.

If they're 3...then who will be the other? One wouldn't expect it to be any of the side from last year. There are some reports of the Blues being asked...but I don't get why the NHL would want to send them over...hardly the biggest draw (although neither are the Panthers). One would expect that asking the Wings to play would capture the imagination a bit more wherever the game's played.

Then again:

Calgary - San Jose (Helsinki)

Detroit - St Louis (Stockholm)

Chicago - Florida (Prague)

CBC

That sucks... me and Dave did the Ducks-Kings at the Dome and it was a great day out. The effort that went into the production was just immense - I was really looking forward to doing it again.

What's reachable for an OWTB road trip then? Flames-Sharks... get BigFin to give us a guided tour?

• 2 weeks later...