NHL

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks... me and Dave did the Ducks-Kings at the Dome and it was a great day out. The effort that went into the production was just immense - I was really looking forward to doing it again.

?

Yeah it was quality. NHL games are pretty mega to attend.

They should open the season at the MEN. That would be pretty top!

To be fair, you lost... [put's on Dave's accent - doing a Jersey accent]... TO THE ISLANDERS! :lol:

Well he was gone before today's shambles. Heart says we can make the playoffs, head says we haven't got a chance. Dreadful, just dreadful, season.

Well he was gone before today's shambles. Heart says we can make the playoffs, head says we haven't got a chance. Dreadful, just dreadful, season.

I was going to make a comment, and then the embarasment that was an 8-4 loss to the thrashers happened. Meaning I didnt have the heart to, honestly, turn over the flames on a two game streak and then lose pitifully to that shower... as you say, this is turning into a dreadful season. Giguere's head just isnt in the game, obviously due to personal problems, but it just aint good at the moment....

Yeah it was quality. NHL games are pretty mega to attend.

They should open the season at the MEN. That would be pretty top!

Unfortunately, no chance in hell in that happening, best we can hope for is that they come back to the 02 sometime... but it wont ever come to manchester.

What's reachable for an OWTB road trip then? Flames-Sharks... get BigFin to give us a guided tour?

:lol:

be more than happy to! Havent checked out the website, but i'd imagine it is at the Hartwall arena - which is just fantastic, and the home of the mighty Jokerit Helsinki.... i'd imagine the Stockholm one is at the Globe Arena too, which is also superb, if a little dated now. Two arena's I have been to many times, i've even played hockey on both of them too!

Stockholm is actually by far the easier to get to - ferry or flight... however i'd imagine tickets are pretty hard to come by....

Unfortunately, no chance in hell in that happening, best we can hope for is that they come back to the 02 sometime... but it wont ever come to manchester.

Well I know that! Think there is about 0% chance they would even play in London again. Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the NHL said they only did it in London as they wanted to try playing in Europe, and it would be easier as a test run to do it in an English speaking country. In future it will be in countries where Hockey is poular (last year was Czech and Sweden IIRC). Bascially, no chance of it coming back to England because it isnt popular enough over here (they still should play the MEN though, would be ace!).

Well I know that! Think there is about 0% chance they would even play in London again. Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the NHL said they only did it in London as they wanted to try playing in Europe, and it would be easier as a test run to do it in an English speaking country. In future it will be in countries where Hockey is poular (last year was Czech and Sweden IIRC). Bascially, no chance of it coming back to England because it isnt popular enough over here (they still should play the MEN though, would be ace!).

In it's day the MEN was an awesome hockey venue, one of the best I've been to, and much better than the overly spacious O2 is. The old lights out and thumping music at the MEN made my hair stand on end. Class.

Now that brings back some bloody memories!

All that is missing at the end is the sound of between 6k and 10k people, clapping in a disorganised fashion - in no way at all in time with the final drum beat!

Great stuff....

(but no 'We Are Not Worthy')

Some good times in that building.

Edited by jsslatic

(but no 'We Are Not Worthy')

Some good times in that building.

I cant to any of the impressions of the clips without having in my head the "doush, doush" sound of the panels opening and closing before and after...

Do you remember the fist time they found that "Sheffield - city of the future" clip from the 70s/80's when we played the steelers... was bloody hilarious, until they did it about the 20th time, every time we played them...

All the clips from Happy Gilmour... and of course "I'll be back" .....

Good times. The best saturdays ever were when storm had a home fixture and you would go straight from Boundary Park to the MEN... such different experiences, especially seeing the type of football we were seeing at the time.... to go from that to watching the best hockey this country had ever seen. Very good times. Utterly unsustainable, but great!!

I cant to any of the impressions of the clips without having in my head the "doush, doush" sound of the panels opening and closing before and after...

Do you remember the fist time they found that "Sheffield - city of the future" clip from the 70s/80's when we played the steelers... was bloody hilarious, until they did it about the 20th time, every time we played them...

All the clips from Happy Gilmour... and of course "I'll be back" .....

Good times. The best saturdays ever were when storm had a home fixture and you would go straight from Boundary Park to the MEN... such different experiences, especially seeing the type of football we were seeing at the time.... to go from that to watching the best hockey this country had ever seen. Very good times. Utterly unsustainable, but great!!

The best hockey I've ever seen live, and that includes three NHL games, was the Storm in Europe season... a shirt from which is actually in the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame - the only British representation.

Players like Frankie, Jablonkski and Miller were such a class above anything else. Just stunning hockey.

The best hockey I've ever seen live, and that includes three NHL games, was the Storm in Europe season... a shirt from which is actually in the Ice Hockey Hall of Fame - the only British representation.

Players like Frankie, Jablonkski and Miller were such a class above anything else. Just stunning hockey.

Me and JSS spent an entire "Live Chat" talking about this on PM's... just so much quality in that side it is untrue.... Morrison was IMO the best player we had, just class personified... on a line with Jablonski and Ketola on the wings, just awesome - the best line ever played in this country.

Throw in players such as the skill of Tomlinson, and the finsihing of kelly Askew... then the battling abilities of Ruby and Rick Brebant... what a team that was....

Neumeier, Miller & Robinson at the back, and of course Frankie in nets... i'm honestly stunned we even conceeded a goal in this country, something which we rarely did...

Just absolute class. Good times, will never forget it. I've seen Jokerit win the european cup with Selanne and Kurri in the team (just superb - when they held the finals as a group in 1 week), but I still remember the time with storm in that season as the best hockey i have ever seen.

Me and JSS spent an entire "Live Chat" talking about this on PM's... just so much quality in that side it is untrue.... Morrison was IMO the best player we had, just class personified... on a line with Jablonski and Ketola on the wings, just awesome - the best line ever played in this country.

Throw in players such as the skill of Tomlinson, and the finsihing of kelly Askew... then the battling abilities of Ruby and Rick Brebant... what a team that was....

Neumeier, Miller & Robinson at the back, and of course Frankie in nets... i'm honestly stunned we even conceeded a goal in this country, something which we rarely did...

Just absolute class. Good times, will never forget it. I've seen Jokerit win the european cup with Selanne and Kurri in the team (just superb - when they held the finals as a group in 1 week), but I still remember the time with storm in that season as the best hockey i have ever seen.

Too True!!!

I always have a soft sport for the hard workers. Whatever the sport. Miller, Hoffman and most of all Mike "Mr Manchester" Morin, who you cut open like a stick of rock he'd say Manchester through the middle. Legend.

It's been ten years since...

"Storm.....

· Scored more goals than any other team.

· Conceded less goals than any other team.

· Won more games that any other team.

· Lost fewer games than any other team.

· Have the best Penalty Killing record.

· Have the best Powerplay Scoring record.

· Have the league's best netminder.

· Have accumulated the most points.

· Have the biggest and best support."

Listen to me, I'm so nostalgic! I miss it like I'd miss a long lost friend... you have other friends but there's still a part of you that wants your old friend back. The sensation of walking round to 115, knowing exactly how your seat of 10 years would feel under your backside, knowing the smells, the sounds, the people... damn it I want it back!!!

It was good, in fact it was awesome. But the best line I remember seeing was the Wynne/Courteney/Junkin line the Steelers had, when the three of them ended up as the top 3 in the scoring charts one season.

Some of those players were just amazing...the crap cult heros like Hilton Ruggles, Dale Jago, John Finney, and my favourite for some reason, Mikael Wiklander. The top class players highlighted above plus other such as Jimmy Hrivnak, Trevor Gallant, Alexei Lozhkin, and of course, the great Greg Bullock...the crappy officials - Carson, Hicks, Staniforth...the coaches including the legendary Kurt Kleinendorst...

Great memories, but who'd have thought it now...ice hockey regularly pulling five figures in Manchester...

Edited by jsslatic

Those European nights were great...even getting beat by outstanding teams...it's a shame they were always played in front of such paltry crowds...

Surely the best though was winning in Prague. The old man was on the team bench that night, defines it as one of his favourite sporting moments.

It was good, in fact it was awesome. But the best line I remember seeing was the Wynne/Courteney/Junkin line the Steelers had, when the three of them ended up as the top 3 in the scoring charts one season.

Some of those players were just amazing...the crap cult heros like Hilton Ruggles, Dale Jago, John Finney, and my favourite for some reason, Mikael Wiklander. The top class players highlighted above plus other such as Jimmy Hrivnak, Trevor Gallant, Alexei Lozhkin, and of course, the great Greg Bullock...the crappy officials - Carson, Hicks, Staniforth...the coaches including the legendary Kurt Kleinendorst...

Great memories, but who'd have thought it now...ice hockey regularly pulling five figures in Manchester...

Cournteney was a cracking player, again one of the best in this country. That line wasnt as good as that storm line though, points may say differently. I always, always thought Jablonski should have broken every single scoring record in this country, but somehow never really got going... played games a a canter, just really doing as much as he needed. The steelers just relied on that line, it was almost as if the storm that season just didnt want to steal anyones glory so shared the points around!

John Finney... ahh... awesome. When he came in League 1 he was the best keeper by a clear distance, had sod all to do... remmeber him doing the YMCA in one game, then we went up, and we were getting absolutely stuffed every game and the fact he has great reactions but absolutely no positioning skills really got shown up. Still never forget his save in the game where we lost 8-3 to the basingstoke Bison, when he played the puck straight to a forward from way out to the right of his crease.... the forward just hammered a slap-shot in, and Finney seeemed to dive from the side of the ice to stop it... just awesome. Then the contrast between him and frankie, who like all good GT's - never seemed to move but stopped everything.

I saee Kurt is still the coach of the Devils AHL affiliate... the whole fact we even got him coaching here was one hell of a coup... fantastic coach, actually got the north american style to work on european rinks, which is something very few coaches get to work...

All the officials... actually the only good thing about watching the current Bristish matches is that Andy Carson still seems to referee every game!

Listen to me, I'm so nostalgic! I miss it like I'd miss a long lost friend... you have other friends but there's still a part of you that wants your old friend back. The sensation of walking round to 115, knowing exactly how your seat of 10 years would feel under your backside, knowing the smells, the sounds, the people... damn it I want it back!!!

I know what you mean matey... every time I go to the MEN i have to walk round and sit In block 104, Row X, Seat 21... will never forget that seat, whcih is weird, as never actually remember what seat i sit in at latics, even though i sit there every game! The smell as well... always the same... and as you say, I knew everyone who was sat around me - just something I never have at home games at latics...

I want it back too... unfortunately it will never happen, I cant watch British hockey now, its soooo poor. That is understandable... however I think we just have to keep the storm memories locked away in a safe place... it will never happen again in this country.

I do envy the Steelers though... used to hate them, but they knew how it was done. Still 10 points top of the league now. Used to think it was such a big rivalry but them (and the panthers) could see us as a flash in the pan... and are still supportinmg thier teams now....

Edited by BigfinLatic

Some of those players were just amazing...the crap cult heros like Hilton Ruggles, Dale Jago, John Finney, and my favourite for some reason, Mikael Wiklander.

Give over. Hilton Ruggles was one of the most successful players in British hockey for years. I know the standard was lower and he passes his best whilst with us, but he was class. :)

The top class players highlighted above plus other such as Jimmy Hrivnak, Trevor Gallant, Alexei Lozhkin, and of course, the great Greg Bullock...the crappy officials - Carson, Hicks, Staniforth...the coaches including the legendary Kurt Kleinendorst...

Lozhkin was, for me, the most skillful player to ever play in Britain. If he'd had another 5 inches in height he'd have walked into any NHL team, just didn't have the size. He'd make Gionta look like a giant!

The free ticket deals helped, there's no denying that, but it still pulled hugely impressive crowds. And the fact that they could shut the upstairs and keep the atmosphere tight made a huge difference.

Surely the best though was winning in Prague. The old man was on the team bench that night, defines it as one of his favourite sporting moments.

What does/did your dad do then?

I always, always thought Jablonski should have broken every single scoring record in this country, but somehow never really got going... played games a a canter, just really doing as much as he needed.

If Jabba had put even 50% effort in he'd have scored 5 goals a game. He just didn't try. My favourite was the way he skated sideways, just so that he could rotate around and hit a wrist shot into the corner. Class. Lazy as hell, but class.

John Finney... ahh... awesome... Still never forget his save in the game where we lost 8-3 to the basingstoke Bison, when he played the puck straight to a forward from way out to the right of his crease.... the forward just hammered a slap-shot in, and Finney seeemed to dive from the side of the ice to stop it... just awesome.

haha I remember that... he'd headed to the bench for some strange reason to clear the puck... beyond the faceoff circle... and he just slid it to their forward and then did an immense superman dive to block it! I pissed myself laughing! Everyone did, it didn't even matter that they scored about 10 seconds later, we were all still laughing.

Then the contrast between him and frankie, who like all good GT's - never seemed to move but stopped everything.

I got a little over excited when I saw the Cup in Toronto, as it's got Frankie on it... I have a picture, but I've forgot my Flickr login details so I can't put it online. The only Cup winner to ever play in Britain. A god amongst men, just class. No player in Britain has ever been close to Frank in terms of skill in their position.

I see Kurt is still the coach of the Devils AHL affiliate... the whole fact we even got him coaching here was one hell of a coup... fantastic coach, actually got the north american style to work on european rinks, which is something very few coaches get to work...

He's the reason I'm a Devils fan, when he moved out to be their assistant coach. A class act. He tried to create a full US structure to the team, with youth and affiliate setups, but the sport just wasn't ready for what he wanted to do. There was only shallow financing, covering the debts etc and no real long term investment.

He's struggled a little in Lowel, but they're not especially well supported by the Devils. I think he could have a future in the NHL, but then sometimes you drop back from the assistant positions and never get back.

I know what you mean matey... every time I go to the MEN i have to walk round and sit In block 104, Row X, Seat 21... will never forget that seat, whcih is weird, as never actually remember what seat i sit in at latics, even though i sit there every game! The smell as well... always the same... and as you say, I knew everyone who was sat around me - just something I never have at home games at latics...

I've never had a seat at Latics since the actual seating went in. But 115, row X, seat 1. Never actually sat in the seat, stood with my arse resting on the back of it. Sat during the period breaks to read the program whilst all the on ice shenanigans happened and Jack pottered about looking spooky.

I want it back too... unfortunately it will never happen, I cant watch British hockey now, its soooo poor. That is understandable... however I think we just have to keep the storm memories locked away in a safe place... it will never happen again in this country.

Yeh, hockey in the UK is awful. Just seeing it on Sky, or on the official Phoenix site, and you see how terrible it is. But it's reasonably sustainable now, and has found it's level. There will never be a Storm team again in the UK. It's just not realitic. I'm very happy to have been there for the glory years, the time when the sport carried dreams with it that it could be a huge sport... those days are long gone, which is a shame, but that is life as they say.

du-du-du-du-du--STORM

PS. What the frig is it with the Devils? We rock it for a month at a time and then get molested by awful teams.

I've never had a seat at Latics since the actual seating went in. But 115, row X, seat 1. Never actually sat in the seat, stood with my arse resting on the back of it. Sat during the period breaks to read the program whilst all the on ice shenanigans happened and Jack pottered about looking spooky.

Ahh anothe rof the Row X crowd - the best seats in the house for the reasons you state, could just stand/perch all game. The only annoying thing was when you got some absolute pissed up nobs in the exec box behind you, who had never been to a game before, and decide to be incredibly loud and patronising for the whole game...

du-du-du-du-du--STORM

PS. What the frig is it with the Devils? We rock it for a month at a time and then get molested by awful teams.

Mate, you are talking to Ducks and Penguins fans here? Give it a rest... our hearts bleed! :wink:

Edited by BigfinLatic

Give over. Hilton Ruggles was one of the most successful players in British hockey for years. I know the standard was lower and he passes his best whilst with us, but he was class. :)

He was distinctly average in a crap league. When we moved up from the second season he was shown up...

What does/did your dad do then?

He held the key and influential position of...team dentist. Can't remember the ins and outs but either the club paid for the treatment, or he gave it them for free, in exchange for a couple of advertisements in the programme and on the arena boards, and STs for our family...and they invited him out for the Prague trip. Some of the old players are still friends/patients of his.

If Jabba had put even 50% effort in he'd have scored 5 goals a game. He just didn't try. My favourite was the way he skated sideways, just so that he could rotate around and hit a wrist shot into the corner. Class. Lazy as hell, but class.

A god amongst men, just class. No player in Britain has ever been close to Frank in terms of skill in their position.

Agreed. Who'd have thought the man who pulled off 'The Save' would play in this country?!

Yeh, hockey in the UK is awful. Just seeing it on Sky, or on the official Phoenix site, and you see how terrible it is. But it's reasonably sustainable now, and has found it's level.

It is terrible. Have only had the inclination to go to a handful of games since the Phoenix came back...one game here in Nottingham just for old times sake, and the two playoff games in Altrincham in the last couple of years. Those games were both second legs...and I had a genuinely good night, both exciting and both only lost by one goal. But the quality was dreadful. It's sad...I mean I looked at the Phoenix forum after the Steelers playoff tie last year, and the fans were saying how if that won't bring fans back then nothing will...well it didn't bring me back, and I love my hockey. The quality is just awful - there's no way I could sit and watch that every week. I'll probably turn up for the playoffs again this year, but I doubt I'll be going again until the same tie the year after. Still, always check the results to see how they've got on!

I'm with BigFin on this one, it must be so tough to have had the season you've had...:unsure::wink:

Edited by jsslatic

Check out Jabba's two goals on this... just sums him up entirely... absolute class... but looks as if he is in slow motion!

Just amazing... how did this guy play for us??!!??!

I'm with BigFin on this one, it must be so tough to have had the season you've had...:unsure::wink:

Yeah its really tough. The last 15 or so years have been a constant struggle for Devils fans. ;)

BTW, is it just me, or has losing Brodeur for such a large part of the season turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened for us? Clemmensen has been good, but we realised we needed to open up and attack teams more to win games, and thats what we have done. Now Marty will be back soon, and we will have a more potent attack with the best goalie ever at the back.

..... the best goalie ever at the back.

Now theres a statement worth debating.... not to sure, I cant look much further than Patrick Roy... with the Dominator close behind him... Roy is the greatest for me, his cockiness and absolute ability in himself made him a bigger force between the pipes than his ability makes him everything you want in a 'tender... and its widely acknowleged that if it wasnt for Roy, you wouldnt have a Brodeur... he has copied his style virtually exactly.

Brodeur will probably break Roy's win record (possibly even a debatable statistic due to the amount of ties that Roy has on his record) - however for pure ability to win matches (and stanley cups) on his own - Roy hands down for me.

... but the dominator... the greatest reactions and flexibility i have ever seen... no-one could make the saves he made... or atleast in the way he made them... and the creator of the 'hasek roll' - I frigging love that...

But as a Devil... i'm sure you will say brodeur hands down...

Mikka Kiprusoff anyone??? :wink: