Ricketts

Please, please tell me they didn't sing 'DIE DIE RICKETTS' again.

It wasn't sung in the Chaddy End and that's where he scored, just like last season. In celebration he ran behind the net across the front of the Chaddy with a massive smile on his face but he didn't loook at the crowd. There were a few moans about his celebration but the vast majority were philosophical about it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He repeatedly pulled off the back 4 into the hole between midfield and attack. No-one really marked him as much, just tried to deal with him if he came close to goal.

It was an excellent tactic by Walsall. If one of the centrebacks pushes out to be with him then the CB leaves a hole at the back and can be dragged all over.

Would be interesting to see Ricketts playing alongside Hughes. Not going to happen but......

Ricketts dropped back a lot and frequently he wasn't picked up. He played some absolute killer passes and was Walsall's main threat. Gregan definately at fault for the goal, although Crossley should have claimed it. I'm probably in a minority of one, but I thought their second goal was extremely well worked and was more down to some perfect passing that poor defending.

Gregan wasn't marking Ricketts at the back post, Jones was.

The reason we conceded that goal was due to Crossley not claiming it as he should have.

Gregan wasn't marking Ricketts at the back post, Jones was.

The reason we conceded that goal was due to Crossley not claiming it as he should have.

In the second half it weas greegs marking Ricketts at corners. Got a very firm grip on him - literally!

Ricketts was different class to most League one if not Championship strikers last night, if he put the effort in week in week out he wouldn't be at Warsaw now. He absolutely ran the show and we did well to contain him last night and limit him to one goal. Hopefully O'Grady was watching closely as he won't get a better masterclass of how to play the lump upfront than Rickettts last night.

I also thought Byfield did a good job of that, won pretty much every ball hoofed up to him, someone get O'Grady a copy of that game and let him study it.

I'll wait for LW highlights but Gregan was defo on the floor back stick when Ricketts scored. So my guess is Gregan marked Ricketts and cannot for the life of me understand it if Latics allowed DJ to mark him and not Gregan. That corner was a practiced set play, no danger of that and measured to a tee. A hard level trajectory right to the back stick same height as the crossbar point blank range header.

Overall I thought Greegs had a decent game - Walsall put in a good performance and came looking for all 3 points.

Ricketts had a great game, but Gregan won the battle of the headers with him.

It was never going to be easy for anyone from the midfield back, but most players handled an awkward Walsall side well.

Ricketts was different class to most League one if not Championship strikers last night, if he put the effort in week in week out he wouldn't be at Warsaw now. He absolutely ran the show and we did well to contain him last night and limit him to one goal. Hopefully O'Grady was watching closely as he won't get a better masterclass of how to play the lump upfront than Rickettts last night.

I also thought Byfield did a good job of that, won pretty much every ball hoofed up to him, someone get O'Grady a copy of that game and let him study it.

Thought O'Grady was brill when he came on - got stuck in - won everything in the air and played some good balls - best have seen him by a long shot!

Ricketts showed his class plenty of times last night, again. I wish we could have made a home for him, despite many of our fans kidding themselves he is crap!

The Die Die chant was started by 5/6 kids of about 14 who sit near me in the RRE - they knew it was wrong but sang it anyway. Gone down in my estimation those brats.

Loving the guy who 'publicised' his sentiments towards the drum. I was dying to do something similar but didn't quite have the balls :lol: Appreciate the drummer is trying to get the crowd behind the lads after going behind but whilst his efforts were sustained they were clearly futile. Nobody was interested. It was just plain annoying at the time, and the drummer should have had a short break.

Thought O'Grady was brill when he came on - got stuck in - won everything in the air and played some good balls - best have seen him by a long shot!

Not a dig at the lad, I quite like him and hope he does well for us. I think Shez brought him in to play the "Heskey" role that Ricketts plays and to some extent Byfield, he can't go wrong with watching how those two did it last night.

He looked very good last night, would love to have a player like that alongside Hughes.

Without wanting to go on about it too much, those songs are an absolute disgrace and the lads doing it need some sense slapping into them. Makes the ‘’Lee Hughes is a murderer’’ stuff seem very tame. And, excuse me if I’m a bit soft, but what exactly did Ricketts do wrong at BP? I know he hardly set things alight for us, but I don’t remember him disrespecting the fans at any point.

Despite him being a big lazy turd, was head and shoulders above anything on the field tonight (Jones' crosses and Hughes' finishing ability apart) and those singing that deplorable song, well see how funny it is when you lose someone close to you, then just maybe you will realise just how sick you are. In fact ricketts is a decent footballer and I do him a disservice in referring to him as a 'turd' as unfortunately the 'turds' where sat in Block 'I' of the Rocky Road. Prats!

apart from his gifted goal he did naff all else he is garbage well rid of the lazy git

I'll wait for LW highlights but Gregan was defo on the floor back stick when Ricketts scored. So my guess is Gregan marked Ricketts and cannot for the life of me understand it if Latics allowed DJ to mark him and not Gregan. That corner was a practiced set play, no danger of that and measured to a tee. A hard level trajectory right to the back stick same height as the crossbar point blank range header.

I'm pretty certain it was DJ Lags, cos I remarked to my brother "why the :censored: is Gregan not marking Rickets?". He may well have back pedalled as the ball came in but Ricketts attacked the ball from beyond the back stick. I'm almost certain Gregan was picking up the man on the front post.

Anyway, it was Norm's fault for not claiming it.

That corner was a practiced set play, no danger of that and measured to a tee. A hard level trajectory right to the back stick same height as the crossbar point blank range header.

I was wondering how to describe it - that's spot on! I got the impression that the trajectory made it too awkward for Crossley to take, and the only person who knew what was happening was Ricketts. The delight on his face was fully justified.

Ricketts was great last night, we didn't know how to handle him for large parts of the game. He looked really dangerous in possesion when dropping off deeper, and had some of his team mates had the same sort of vision as him, we couild have been in real trouble from those little passes he slipped in to the other forwards.

We saw glimpses of that from him a BP; it's a real shame we couldn't get 90 minute performances like that out of him when he was here.

O'Grady has done that before, when coming on late. He's also the perfect man when it's vital to keep possession, and Taylor also loves those situations where it is crucial that the opposition does not get the ball, as the last few minutes are ticking away. At one point Taylor ran diagonally across field to the opposite corner flag, and then protected the ball, at a time when an equaliser would have had a devastating effect on confidence.

What, at crossbar height and straight across the face of goal, a yard out? :unsure:

It seemed much nearer than a yard and my feeling, as the ball came over. was that it was very awkward, and I did not blame Crossley at the time. Need to see it again to fathom out what went wrong, if anything, from a brilliant corner.

At one point Taylor ran diagonally across field to the opposite corner flag, and then protected the ball, at a time when an equaliser would have had a devastating effect on confidence.

That was right at the end - an equaliser then would have had a devasting effect on our points tally too! That run put the gloss on Taylors performance for me. I can't stress how magnificant he was last night - the difference between the teams for sure.

I propose we all agree to stop talking up Taylor in case any scouts check this board :wink: