Stadium plans shelved

with you on this....... should never have been demolished until the dotted line was signed for a replacement........ typical boundary park blooper ??........or a strategic move of genius ??........as ever, we`ll never really know. but if you think back to how porter was able to just walk away, it may give us a clue as to the reason for the big empty space we are now lumped with down one side of the ground.

i think it was brill idea... crap stand falling down anyway and the RRE is alot better and at least there is abit of athmosphere back at BP :dance:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt the Lookers was pulled down due to financial,mainly maintainance and Insurance reasons ?

I think that's wishful thinking at best...

I don't think the T3As have gone back on there word of anything like that. The development simply isn't going to happen because of the credit crunch etc....

What is for certain is it was a mistake to have pulled it down so soon. But hindsight is a great thing...

What worries me going forward is where all this leaves us. Three stands, housing market on its arse and question marks on where this leaves the 3As....

Three stands: lost revenue possibly in the future due to promotion or drawing big teams in cups...

Housing market: Its going to take several years for the market to recover to the level which will see us being able to build so many houses and sell them high enough to build the stadium etc...

T3As: If the housing market stays the same...surely Latics becomes less and less interesting as a investment... I wouldn't be surprised if they looked to sell....

Few people on here trying to suppress discussion of these matters I feel... With the economy on its arse and the stadium the way it is... The future is looking troubled too me...

I can't see TTA getting shut of the club until the housing market does recover though. We'll have to do that whole planning thing again probably - but it makes me think they are in for the longer haul than was originally planned. Well, unless their own businesses go tits up and they have to sell in desperation.

I can't see TTA getting shut of the club until the housing market does recover though. We'll have to do that whole planning thing again probably - but it makes me think they are in for the longer haul than was originally planned. Well, unless their own businesses go tits up and they have to sell in desperation.

Hope your right...

We don't get all a lot from the club regarding the building work though do we.... I haven't heard anything official about the project being put on moth balls... in fact you rarely hear anything official about the project... I am disspointed at how the club have handled the whole stadium project... Fans are mostly left to work it out for themselves...

Hope your right...

We don't get all a lot from the club regarding the building work though do we.... I haven't heard anything official about the project being put on moth balls... in fact you rarely hear anything official about the project... I am disspointed at how the club have handled the whole stadium project... Fans are mostly left to work it out for themselves...

Mr Corney has said on LW that it isn't going to happen until the market recovers. I think Mr Blitz has done similar...

Mr Corney has said on LW that it isn't going to happen until the market recovers. I think Mr Blitz has done similar...

That is my point...

How many people subscribe to Latics World ? I also hear they are quite talkative at forums etc.... I usually have to wait for one of you guys to report back to find out the latest...

They need to start communicating more about the current state of play and the plans for the future via the main site in my opinion.

We haven't had a Corney blog for some time for sure. I think he's probably waiting for things to settle down behind the scenes before he does so.

Heard a strange rumour last week from a housing bod that we were looking at other sites now rather than redevelop BP. Sounded ridiculous to me at the time as we've already been down that route and come up short.

What makes me laugh is why nobody questioned why the Lookers was knocked down in the summer, we all knew this recession was kicking in. Didnt take a genius to work out did it.

I suspect TTAs knew exactly what was happening. knocked the Lookers down anyway to save on costs of opening the 4th stand this season. Makes financial sense and also stops the fans moaning about moving seats when they dont have a choice because the stand isnt even there.

KNOCK THE CHADDY DOWN TOO THEN LOL

Seeing as though Boundary Park’s going to be a 3-sided fortress for some time to come, I suggest that the club seeks Lottery funding for the landscaping of the Broadway paddock.

I can see it now, a 20,000 sq ft mural of flowers, themed on everyone’s favourite second team (c.1991) – Roger Palmer’s semi-final equaliser in a cascade of blue and red chrysanthemums, Gary Mc’s Everton thunderbolt in a flurry of tangerine tulips and Stitch’s slap-head in a wondrous bloom of cream roses.

Main stand pensioners could shake their walking sticks at the ball boys, as they step carefully through the pansies to collect another clearance or errant pass.

Seeing as though Boundary Park’s going to be a 3-sided fortress for some time to come, I suggest that the club seeks Lottery funding for the landscaping of the Broadway paddock.

I can see it now, a 20,000 sq ft mural of flowers, themed on everyone’s favourite second team (c.1991) – Roger Palmer’s semi-final equaliser in a cascade of blue and red chrysanthemums, Gary Mc’s Everton thunderbolt in a flurry of tangerine tulips and Stitch’s slap-head in a wondrous bloom of cream roses.

Main stand pensioners could shake their walking sticks at the ball boys, as they step carefully through the pansies to collect another clearance or errant pass.

Y'see to the untrained eye, it might look like you are talking out of your azalia, but that's a very good selection of flowers for the football season. The roses from April to September, chrysanths can bloom from September to October, winter pansies don't like heat and can survive the colder months, then the tulips for March/April. Excellent!

Well I do apologise for posting something that I thought may be of interest to some people. Smack my wrist.

thanks for posting it. i was interested. not a good thing that we arent pressing ahead with the development. gives away fans more ammo for their chants of :censored: ground no fans.

we need to progress with the ground to keep the ball rolling and build the club. especially so if we get promotion.

Mr Hardy said: “It is just a temporary thing until the economic situation improves."

Well this economic situation may well not be temporary. That's kind of my worry. There is a strong belief in the city that the housing market and general economic situation may never return to its previous levels. While inflation continues to rise.... That would create a bad picture for any stadium development based on housing.

I suppose in this situation the whole plan would need to be scaled down...and would that be as attractive to the 3As...

Not sure we'll ever know whether the decision to knock them Lookers stand down was paritally driven by the need to save some operating expenses at the club with little / no reduction in revenue.

I believe that TTA are genuine in their drive to complete a stadium development project for Oldham Athletic which will also result the in the sale/development of the land near BP for income to cover (and perhaps some more) the cost of the stadium. The demolition of the Lookers was the first stage in this.

However before the Lookers was taken down I do think that the club were aware that the project was on hold due to finances. There is a question as to whether they had already committed to the contractor for the demolition before the 'on hold' decision was made - if so it might have cost the club money to NOT knock it down and get out of the deal.

There is no doubt from the LW interviews that for the same attendances we are spending less money to maintain the stadium at the moment - the Lookers seems to have been expensive to keep going (another poster has made similar comments in this thread). So perhaps they had the chance to not pull it down but decided to anyway to save money? The reduced running costs would have already been included in this seasons Business Plan, so keeping it open would likely have put more pressure on monies.

Yes the ground looks a bit of a mess with 3 stands, but in the end if it helps the financies and we still get a new ground eventually - I'll be happy enough.

the Lookers seems to have been expensive to keep going (another poster has made similar comments in this thread)

I have not yet see anything to back this point of view up other than the overall reasoning for building a new stand. I doubt it was a real factor in the removal of the stand. I would imagine having one full house in the cup would more than cover any minor maintenance work to such a stand. I think the housing market only took a real dive with no hope of recovery any time soon in the last couple of months since the credit crunch took a real hold..... Before then opinion was divided.... I think we simply got caught with our pants down....

Edited by oafc0000

I have not yet see anything to back this point of view up other than the overall reasoning for building a new stand. I doubt it was a real factor in the removal of the stand. I would imagine having one full house in the cup would more than cover any minor maintenance work to such a stand. I think the housing market only took a real dive with no hope of recovery any time soon in the last couple of months since the credit crunch took a real hold..... Before then opinion was divided.... I think we simply got caught with our pants down....

Simon Corney states that its saving money on one of the LW interviews with Alan Hardy is present. It was not long after the visit of Leicester and they say we didn't fill the ground for that game, and speculate that perhaps Leeds or a cup game might fill it and therefore mean we lose out on revenue. But Simon cleary says that one or two games of missed revenue does not counter act the savings made from not running the stand.

Its simple really - we have reduced maintenance costs (perhaps the highest of the 4 stands), reduced electricity / water consumption, reduced the need for staff on match days (turnstiles, bars etc), and pretty much maintain income.

Would they have knocked it down without a stadium development? No. But to postpone this aspect of the project because yopu are postponing the other - doesn't make sense.

Pain may come in the future if we go up and full houses become regular occurences. Then we may see a Macclesfield-style temporary stand for away fans.

Thats a very real worry isnt it....

Perhaps yes - but then again would we have had a fully opened stand for next season anyway if we'd started construction? Not sure on the timetable before the delay. Also after one was build, presumably we'd have knocked down another, so a 3 sided ground for a while was going to be the norm.

And if we have a crappy scafold temp stand for away fans - so what. Make sure it has "poor acoustics" and we'll fill the "ampifying" RRE - and we'll have an intimerdating atmosphere

Guest oa_exile
Thats a very real worry isnt it....

Depends how you look at it , how many :censored: hole, open to the elements stands have we had to endure over the years ?

If push comes to shove put in temp stands and make the away fans sit in it.

Edited by oa_exile

Exactly, we could do a Blackpool. That stand would have been eating a fair amount of money. Not just water, electricity, but heating as well in the bar. Believe it or not there was a frost thermostat, it would have been coming on for fun recently. Then there's the maintenance. Replacing light fittings, repairing dripping taps. Also cleaning. Disposal of rainwater to the drain from the roof. Bar staff wages. (Obviously minus any profits got from the bar)

I think as well that it gave a signal to the fans and people of Oldham that the club were serious about actually moving along with the development. Things just got a bit tough with the housing.

I personally think they did the right thing.

I wasn’t sure about this, so checked up. If you are looking for a moment in time that signalled brown underpants in the housing and financial markets, then I would go for the run on Northern Rock, which I was surprised to see happened back in Sept 07. Remember also that Hillstones was widely suspected to be the most likely candidate to build the houses but TTA presumably had an inkling they were in financial difficulties and the warning signs have been there for a good while. Remember it’s not about whether they thought the economy would hold up but about whether they could find a deleloper who was confident they would be able to sell the flats at a high enough price a year or two down the road and who was able to raise the finance for the project at a time when banks were holding onto their cash due to being pushed to the brink because of unwise lending in the US housing market.