Best OG

I'm sure there have been plenty but one that sticks out in my mind is 'Killer' Kilclines at Elland rd.

back in the late 80s early 90s.

He headed the ball with such power past Jon Hallworth (i think) he didn't have a cat in hells chance of stopping it.

Can anyone provide a video link to that goal? it would be good to relive my horror..... :(

===========================================================

I'm sure there have been plenty but one that sticks out in my mind is 'Killer' Kilclines at Elland rd.

He headed the ball with such power past Jon Hallworth (i think) he didn't have a cat in hells chance of stopping it.

Can anyone provide a video link to that goal? it would be good to relive my horror..... :(

spot on cant remember any better OG than that one

Wasn't a header, he sliced it straight into the top corner!

Milligan's diving header at Barnsley in march 1990 was a beauty, (3 days after we destroyed Villa at BP)

Not a Latics player but Stimson's og for the Toon past Budgie at the Chaddy NYD '91 in injury time was awesome!

If we're talking about best ever own goals involving the Latics, it has to be Bobby Moore's diving header at the Chaddy End.

Most people remember him as being the only England captain to have lifted the World Cup but, for me, this goal was the defining moment of his career. :)

Agree about Killer's against dirty Leeds.

Best og by opposition has to be 6ft 7in Kevin Francis for Birmingham. After half-time he'd forgotten they'd changed ends and, as a Latics corner came over, he drew back his neck to power a header into the Chaddy End net to cries of "One Kevin Francis!" from the Latiics Faithful. Priceless!

He was substituted immediately afterwards. :grin:

If we're talking about best ever own goals involving the Latics, it has to be Bobby Moore's diving header at the Chaddy End.

Most people remember him as being the only England captain to have lifted the World Cup but, for me, this goal was the defining moment of his career. :)

have to agree also a good quiz question "which world cup winner scored for latics"

have a vague recolection of keith hicks scoring a brace of own goals against hereford can any one confirm think we lost 5-3

Guest oa_exile

I actually remember that ! I was stood in the Chaddy that day,must have been very late 70's - 1978-79 ?

My personal favourite OG for us was Yeovil last season. Overhead a woman with 2 kids asking for directions to BP at Werneth station on the way to the game and offered to walk them to the ground. She turned out to be Lee Peltier's mum. I'd like to think his OG for us was karma.

I actually remember that ! I was stood in the Chaddy that day,must have been very late 70's - 1978-79 ?

Possibly a couple of years earlier. '75/'76?

And it may have been the same season they took us apart at Craven Cottage with George Best leading the way in front of the MOTD cameras. 5-0, I think it finished. We played in tangerine shirts and white shorts.

have to agree also a good quiz question "which world cup winner scored for latics"

have a vague recolection of keith hicks scoring a brace of own goals against hereford can any one confirm think we lost 5-3

I definitely remember that match. I took my Derby supporting mate along (Derby were a BIG club at the time) convinced that he'd see us take apart a Hereford team who hadn't won a match for four years and were ninety points adrift at the foot of the table. He's never let me forget it!!

As for Keith Hicks, I honestly can't remember but it wouldn't surprise me!!

As far as own goals in general are concerned, the best has to go to Jamie Pollock scoring in his own net against QPR. Think I saw on TV that to show their gratitude for ensuring their Premiership status, the QPR fans voted him the most influential man of the last 2,000 years, beating Jesus.

For comical value, Chris Brass putting into his own Bury net against Darlo tops the bill.

Both are worth youtubing if you haven't seen them before.

Agree about Killer's against dirty Leeds.

Best og by opposition has to be 6ft 7in Kevin Francis for Birmingham. After half-time he'd forgotten they'd changed ends and, as a Latics corner came over, he drew back his neck to power a header into the Chaddy End net to cries of "One Kevin Francis!" from the Latiics Faithful. Priceless!

He was substituted immediately afterwards. :grin:

i,am sure he got 2 own goals in that game,pretty sure birmingham wore our away kit in that game.

i,am sure he got 2 own goals in that game,pretty sure birmingham wore our away kit in that game.

The other og was by Gary Poole mate, the game they wore our kit was the season after, a night mact and we drew 2 a piece on our way down this crap hole of a division.

As for the Andy Barlow og, I was stood in the Kop that day with ScouseLatic. I was gloating at the fact Brucey had dropped a goolie in order to let The bear put us in front late on from a corner (yes a corner, I kids ye not!) In a final desperate throw of the dice going into injury time Souness but that big bruiser Ruddock up front, he flicks one on for Fowler to bag his first ever league goal then causes enough uncertainty straight from kick off to ensure Barlow slices into his own goal. Devastated and surrounded by 20,000 Scousers, then had one gloating all the way home. Not my fondest memory!

Are you sure? Can anyone confirm?

=======================================

Trust me mate, I am a more than reirable authority on all things Latics over the last 20 years. If I don't know it, it aint worth knowing. That's not being arrogant that's fact!

Joe Royle quipped after the game despite Killer slicing it into the top corner, "That's the first time he's hit one straight, and look where it ended up..."

Thats the one that came to mind straight away when i read the thread title.

Thats the one that came to mind straight away when i read the thread title.

Think I've got it on a vhs somewhere, no idea how to convert the bugger, (although I might have some software somewhere - although I haven't the time to do anything at the moment) next time I see Glynn I'll have a chat, he's all things authority on converting owd crappy vids into tinternet media friendly vids...

Possibly a couple of years earlier. '75/'76?

And it may have been the same season they took us apart at Craven Cottage with George Best leading the way in front of the MOTD cameras. 5-0, I think it finished. We played in tangerine shirts and white shorts.

It was 74/75, Our first season in the then Division 2.Played Sunderland at home a few week later then United on Boxing Day a couple of weeks after that.

The other og was by Gary Poole mate, the game they wore our kit was the season after, a night mact and we drew 2 a piece on our way down this crap hole of a division.

As for the Andy Barlow og, I was stood in the Kop that day with ScouseLatic. I was gloating at the fact Brucey had dropped a goolie in order to let The bear put us in front late on from a corner (yes a corner, I kids ye not!) In a final desperate throw of the dice going into injury time Souness but that big bruiser Ruddock up front, he flicks one on for Fowler to bag his first ever league goal then causes enough uncertainty straight from kick off to ensure Barlow slices into his own goal. Devastated and surrounded by 20,000 Scousers, then had one gloating all the way home. Not my fondest memory!

Francis definitely scored 2 ogs that day. I'll never forget him being substituted to a standing ovation from the latics fans.