Ask Barry Owen..... The fan representing the fans.

Guest sheridans_world

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will only see standing return to UK football grounds when the fans stand up as one voice and ask for it back. Governments tend to change there minds when there seats are under threat.....

Then if clubs don't want it....same course of action....

Agree with what you are getting at, but you have to consider that standing still exists. We're just not allowed to revert back to it and therefore, in my opinion, are at a disadvantage to some rival clubs where it is allowed.....particularly now that we're stuck with 3 sides as a result of the 'downturn'.

Whether or not Latics would want a cheaper standing area for ordinary league games I don't know. Chances are as much revenue would be lost from those migrating from sitting to standing as would be gained from new fans taking advantage of cheaper standing tickets. But if market research indicated that wouldn't be the case, or we got into a position where were selling the seats out, it would be a shame to turn away fans and revenue on the back of an out-dated, rash law which isn't even tailored towards terraces as shallow as what the old Lookers Paddock would be.

Guest sheridans_world
it would be a shame to turn away fans and revenue on the back of an out-dated, rash law which isn't even tailored towards terraces as shallow as what the old Lookers Paddock would be.

Shallow, maybe, but very un-even. That coupled with the expense of installed barriers the full length of the stand and barriers around the 'camera stand' means it probably wouldnt make it very cost effective. Dont forget you would also have to build a refreshment stand and have toilets installed, as both of these are required by law. It all points to having to spend money on something that is only a temporary arrangement.

aka... Whats the boards plan if this crisis does not resolve itself any time soon...

Probably the single most important question regarding our future....unanswered...

And probably unanswerable too. Some people seem to be under the impression that the current financial crisis is simply a blip. So far it seems not...

The club should appeal against this rule. Why should we be penalised as a result of a past status??

Agree ,

Somebody has to make the start.

Its no use just saying rules are rules and accepting it .

What better times than now in these economic difficulties to argue the benefits it would bring smaller clubs.

It has the potential to increase gates and therefore should be considered.

Agree ,

Somebody has to make the start.

Its no use just saying rules are rules and accepting it .

What better times than now in these economic difficulties to argue the benefits it would bring smaller clubs.

It has the potential to increase gates and therefore should be considered.

There is no ability to appeal this rule.

Furthermore, once clubs are promoted to Championship or above level, their grounds/stadiums have to become all seater within 2 years of promotion to that level. The only exception is if the club is having a new stadium built as in Cardiff's case. Once the ground becomes all seater you cannot change back.

Following Hillsborough, it was originally decided that all football league grounds (divisions 1-4 inclusive) would become all seater. After much pressure (2-3 years) divisions 3 & 4 were given the dispensation not be become all seater, but on the proviso that once their stadium was designated all seater following promotion to division 2, then the stadium had to remain all seater even after relegation. As we became all seater in 1994, we cannot change back

Sorry folks but those are the rules. No exceptions or appeals allowed. Don't comply and your safety certificate is withdrawn by the licencing authority.

If you want to change this "law" you need to support the proposal raised earlier in this thread.

Cheers,

Harry

To be frank im busy making sure my own business survives... I know I would be forming some sort of plan B if I ran Latics... I have a plan B, C and D for my business...

Think interms of the development I think we are quite a way down the line now interms of what we want to do with the land Its going to be this development or nothing as to draw up new plans and get planning permission would take too much time and money. I would like to think though that the only concieveable contingency plan that would be being considered is that of a temporay stand on the broadway side of the ground and lets face it that would only be an option if we got promoted as on the current crowds we can't justify extending the capacity.

If we are not going to go with this what could we have as a plan B?

Plan B is to sit tight where we are. What else do people want? Send Jorvik and Futchers' off to the poker table with 7 bottles of Scotch and £16m? The land is the only substantial asset linked to the club. Unless TTA can find someone to pay double the odds for it, or to get someone to donate a suitable site for nowt, or find someone else to stick a wad of money into a loss-making 3rd division football, then maybe they are doing the right thing in sitting tight, reducing running costs as far as they can and trying to support the playing budget as far as they can?

Crazy thinking, I know.

Plan B is to sit tight where we are. What else do people want? Send Jorvik and Futchers' off to the poker table with 7 bottles of Scotch and £16m? The land is the only substantial asset linked to the club. Unless TTA can find someone to pay double the odds for it, or to get someone to donate a suitable site for nowt, or find someone else to stick a wad of money into a loss-making 3rd division football, then maybe they are doing the right thing in sitting tight, reducing running costs as far as they can and trying to support the playing budget as far as they can?

Crazy thinking, I know.

This may be true-but as the club official who spoke at half-time during the Port Vale game following last November's demo more or less stated, without this development, there is no worthwhile future for the club.

The worrying thing is, as others are saying, what happens should this recession turn out to be as prolonged as is being widely predicted right across the political spectrum.

This may be true-but as the club official who spoke at half-time during the Port Vale game following last November's demo more or less stated, without this development, there is no worthwhile future for the club.

The worrying thing is, as others are saying, what happens should this recession turn out to be as prolonged as is being widely predicted right across the political spectrum.

Well, if it all goes wrong in the world, football clubs are going to go down the same as everyone else. We can hardly diversify into Beach Volleyball to suppliment income. Like most businesses, batten down the hatches and cut the cloth.