dirty leeds

As much as I love the fact that Leeds got knocked out by a non league team, am I the only fan who wanted them and all the other decent league 1 sides to go through? As we concentrate on the league they get side tracked by their 3rd round games and maybe more after that. At the time when we got knocked out, I wasn't happy. But you look at what would of happened if we would of won and ended up with a draw to Doncaster after a nightmare trip to Morecambe. I just think that the FA Cup this year would be a distraction to us as we must finally get out of this division!

As much as I love the fact that Leeds got knocked out by a non league team, am I the only fan who wanted them and all the other decent league 1 sides to go through? As we concentrate on the league they get side tracked by their 3rd round games and maybe more after that. At the time when we got knocked out, I wasn't happy. But you look at what would of happened if we would of won and ended up with a draw to Doncaster after a nightmare trip to Morecambe. I just think that the FA Cup this year would be a distraction to us as we must finally get out of this division!

In two minds. Living and working on the "darkside" of the Pennines this result and the current league standings is giving me plenty of opportunities for fun with the locals,

But I mentioned in another post about the benefit we could get from being out and others scapping away. A draw would have been the best result meaning Leeds have yet another game.

At least we didn't miss out on a 'big tie'.

Could go one of two ways it could mean like you say that they have no distratction however this result could severley knock confidence and push them through a bad patch and allow the rest of us to steal a march on them. However like us an early cup exit will be long forgotten in may if they win promotion.

I grew up in the 70's, they were know as a hard team ......Hunter,Charlton,Bremner to name but a few,they took no prisoners in them days.

The 70's were full of hard men on the pitch with the likes of Harris,Smith, etc

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............60's I'd have believed you!

Mcallister will be gone by christmas. And i know of a certain ex leeds player making over 230 appearances for them who is managing a fellow promotion chasing league 1 club in 4th place.

Maybe, just maybe...

He'll be lucky to see out the week - I just hope we can keep Shez if/when it happens.

While I have always been totally indifferent to Leeds, I think it dates back to the Don Revie side of the late sixties/early seventies, plus the reputation of a section of their fans for violence, also dating from that time. While some clubs play ugly football but have fairly benign fans (1980s/90's Wimbledon), and others have more than their fair share of obnoxious fans but aren't particularly ugly on the pitch (Burnley, Stoke, Millwall), Leeds managed a unique blend of downright thuggery on and off the pitch.

And any club that manages to make things too uncomfortable for Brian Clough has definitely got something about it.

Brian Clough was appointed as the manager of Leeds after Don Revie became the England manager. His appointment was a surprise given his previous outspoken criticism of both Revie, for whom Cloughie made no secret of his deep disdain, and the successful Leeds team's playing style, which Clough was on record as stating to be not only overly aggressive but also effectively illegal in his opinion.

On his first day with the Leeds players he said "As far as I'm concerned you can throw all those medals you've won in the bin, because you won them all by cheating".

The story goes that Cloughie was laying the law down and telling the senior players that things were going to change big time. One unnamed senior player speaks up:

“Listen, all that kind of bull:censored: might have worked at a small club like Derby County, but you are at Leeds United, a MASSIVE club, what the f**k do you know about Leeds United?”

Cloughie smiles and says “I know this much young man, you’ll never play for Leeds United again” .

Cloughie had a pretty torrid time there. The senior players blanked him and that was why he was sacked after only 44 days. He said that the players were training when Don Revie came by to watch. The players just ignored Clough and went and chatted to Revie. They were in complete awe of Revie and had no respect for Clough.

Cloughie always said that he was financially secure for life with his compensation of £98,000 (a massive amount in those days) from dirty Leeds, which included a new Merc.

Note: The story of his short spell in charge is being adapted into a film called The Damned United for release in 2009, based on a book of the same name.

Leeds’ loss was Forest’s gain as Cloughie transformed them from a Second Division Club into twice European Cup winners.