Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent! He can go and Join Chris Taylor, he has joined Donny about 17 times already according to the red tops...!

Sounds feasable... we will see.... as I've said all along, he will go and we will suffer, and then everyone will be whinging that he should never have gone, but are all too ready to have a pop at him when he is here...

Certain threads have been started on this before... but TTA and Corney seem intent on selling hughes, it may do little difference but lets at least show on here that we know without him we can kiss goodbye to promotion....

...as you can tell, I hope he doesnt go... however I think it is probably a done deal... Donny or whoever...

I cant see doncaster having 400k to spend. They have just taken Steve Brooker on loan with a fee agreed for January! Plus they are already 5 points from safety, and looking favorites to go down, so would they want to be taking on 33 year olds on decent contracts, and would hughes want to go to doncaster with a good chance of em coming back down in a few months time, when he could just wait to see what the situation is at end of season and get at least a season with us, or a few good offers from other clubs.

Excellent! He can go and Join Chris Taylor, he has joined Donny about 17 times already according to the red tops...!

Sounds feasable... we will see.... as I've said all along, he will go and we will suffer, and then everyone will be whinging that he should never have gone, but are all too ready to have a pop at him when he is here...

Certain threads have been started on this before... but TTA and Corney seem intent on selling hughes, it may do little difference but lets at least show on here that we know without him we can kiss goodbye to promotion....

...as you can tell, I hope he doesnt go... however I think it is probably a done deal... Donny or whoever...

Where have you got ,.......the " TTA seem intent on selling Hughes "....from?

For me, and probably most on here, Taylor and Hughes are the key to automatic promotion.

If both went, do we think the same promotion push could be maintained with, for example, Daniel Jones and Darren Byfield staying in the squad until the end of the campaign? There's a small part of me that says 'maybe', but I'm an eternal optimist!

This is a big call for TTA. If they genuinely want the prize of promotion then they mustn't sell either. Equally, fans need to recognise the economic realities of the times. If they can cash in on Davies (per other post) or Eardley (perennial rumour) that's a more palatable option.

It's going to be very interesting to see who leaves in January. Somebody will.

For me this does not add up.

If Hughes was going to Doncaster, I think he would have already gone "On loan with a view to a permanent transfer in January" and it would have been done at the time Byfield came to us. That would have made more sense. Doncaster don't loan out one of last seasons league 1's top scorers and not have a replacement lined up.

The added fact of the Brooker deal suggests that this story has little foundation.

Cheers,

Harry.

unless we get an offer of £500k + for eardley and £1mill+ for taylor we keep everyone. We'd never know what might have been if we let hughes/taylor go in jan.

Id rather hughes left for free in june having had a full season with us, if we dont go up thanks lee good luck, sell taylor etc.

Yes if hughes has said he doesnt want to sign a new deal whatever the situation then by all means sell, if he is waiting to see what league we're in come may then do as above

I.E. DO NOT SELL!!

P.S. Why would hughes go to donny anyway? besides a big pay cheque if he wants to play in the chapionship next year theres a good chance donny are coming back down, and if they did stay up they'd be down again the following year.

But what can we do about he stays and goes, all we can do is hope.

Edited by shefflatic

Good business financially in the short term....will it cost is chance of promotion, more than likely, unless a bloody good goalscorer is bought (and they're not exactly ten-a-penny are they. Therefore that is bad businees financially long term AGAIN!

The one thing that can be said if he does go, is that things don't change at ISZ do they?

I'm a big Lee Hughes fan but £400K is a great deal for a 32 year old at this level.

It's a big call for Hughes this, firstly he has to consider who has the best chance of playing in The Championship next year, us or them? Secondly, and maybe most importantly, he is out of contract in the summer and where can he get the best deal. He lost quite a few years salary in the clink, so maybe he's looking for that last big contract before he finishes, if we went up maybe it would be us, but sadly the safest bet is Donny where he can get on Championship money now.

But maybe, just maybe he feels an affinity to the club that were willing to give him a go after he was realised.......... lets hope so

I cant see doncaster having 400k to spend. They have just taken Steve Brooker on loan with a fee agreed for January! Plus they are already 5 points from safety, and looking favorites to go down, so would they want to be taking on 33 year olds on decent contracts, and would hughes want to go to doncaster with a good chance of em coming back down in a few months time, when he could just wait to see what the situation is at end of season and get at least a season with us, or a few good offers from other clubs.

That to me sums why I could see it happening. They are in trouble so will be ready to take a punt to try and stay up - Mr Moneybags there has invested enough already that he's not going to see them go down without an effort. They need someone proven in, not some kid who might or might not help them. They ain't going to get someone who is up to it from their own division, they ain't getting anyone from Leeds, or Posh. Hughes could well be the best CF they could sign without spending millions. £400k to us, double Hughsey's wages for 6 months with an option for a year and a signing on fee, if his goals get them up 3 league places they will be quids in.

As for us - I would be gutted to lose the best centre forward we've had for 10 years. It wouldn't necessarily all be lost though. When Byfield is fully fit he will score and create goals and the money might allow us to keep Taylor and maybe get one more player in if we need to. We'd still have done very well getting a player like Hughes for a year and a half and selling him for less than we've spent on his wages.