Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

According to someone I know at the club only Donny have made an offer for TAYLOR. £1MILLION plus Byefield.

Seems they are determined to sign all our team if the Hughes story is true,which I doubt.

My source says Taylor has refused.Donny have no money for buying players let alone two.

Tbh I'd take £600,000 plus Byfield and Wellens. So if Doncaster Rovers are desperate enough to accept that offer then let's have it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£400k? I think an offer like that would force TTA's hand. I doubt it's true about Donny, and not only that they're certs (in my eyes) to be back in this division in 6 months time. That will come into Hughes' thinking if an offer was on the table. A bit of a conundrum.

But, if we do decide to sell Hughes, it's simple. We have to invest it back into an equally potent player. He is the difference in us being up there and being mid-table also-rans. It's black and white; evidence from the games like Walsall, Southend and Millwall suggests as much.

£400k? I think an offer like that would force TTA's hand. I doubt it's true about Donny, and not only that they're certs (in my eyes) to be back in this division in 6 months time. That will come into Hughes' thinking if an offer was on the table. A bit of a conundrum.

But, if we do decide to sell Hughes, it's simple. We have to invest it back into an equally potent player. He is the difference in us being up there and being mid-table also-rans. It's black and white; evidence from the games like Walsall, Southend and Millwall suggests as much.

We could always buy Rickets back from Warsaw. :wink::peepwall:

After all, he does seem in the habit of finding the net at Boundary Park.

Cheers,

Harry

Given Hughes is out of contract, you are talking about having maybe £12k a week to spend on replacements (plus Hughes' wages saved). That's why I'm not unlacing my boots and looking for a high rafter. Even if he were under contract for next year we'd get little for him, I always felt it would be a desperation signing if he were to go. Enter stage left, Donny looking at the drop but with time to save it and an emotionally involved rich Chairman.

Whilst I can understand discussion on whether Hughes should be sold in general, I'm not sure why people are giving this credence. As I showed earlier, the OP has sensationalised the story, the one sentence that TM wrote never said he'd actually signed or he'd officially gone.

Anyone who thinks that a one line story on a man found guilty for death by dangerous driving being sold for 400k, that can't even make it onto a tabloid's website, has any sort of factual basis needs their head checking...

Edited by jsslatic

Whilst I think it would be good business if he went for TTA with byfield coming this way, i would be gutted to see him go.

If hughes is moving to donny for championship football, it would be nothing short of stupid, and a big gamble, as even with a hefty budget, they have struggled this yr and will be lucky to stay up. Same applies to taylor, he can do better than doncaster if he wants to leave here.

If hughes is moving to donny for money, then fair enough, good move, they can afford to pay him more than what we can.

Although this story is just a rumour, all of us know that there'll be interest from clubs for both Lee Hughes and Chris Taylor. That's just inevitable. Should either player be sold, Shez's job is safe come the end of the season, whether or not we get promoted.

However, Corney or whoever isn't gonna sell a player behind John's back - his opinion will obviously be valued highly. If Shez is brave enough and confident enough in his own ability to lead us to the Championship with the current squad, he'll ask Corney and Co. to hold back and not sell. No promotion, and the axe will fall on Shez's head.

Money or a stable squad with a well-liked manager. Tough call.

Firstly, I know there is some truth in this!!!! I trust TTA to do the right thing, I dont want Hughes to go, and would love him to pen a extension on his deal, but lets be honest £400k is alot of money for a 33 year old who is out of contract in 6 months. Just hope any changes are thought through. I for one dont like all this talk about transfers, I think it unsettles people.

Although this story is just a rumour, all of us know that there'll be interest from clubs for both Lee Hughes and Chris Taylor. That's just inevitable. Should either player be sold, Shez's job is safe come the end of the season, whether or not we get promoted.

However, Corney or whoever isn't gonna sell a player behind John's back - his opinion will obviously be valued highly. If Shez is brave enough and confident enough in his own ability to lead us to the Championship with the current squad, he'll ask Corney and Co. to hold back and not sell. No promotion, and the axe will fall on Shez's head.

Money or a stable squad with a well-liked manager. Tough call.

maybe the club have offered him a deal already and he has said i will not sign anything until end of season until i know how we have done or see what offers come in...that his perogative..

if hughes was to go to donny and keep scoring then it would be certain they would stay in the championship,thats the incentive for them,a gamble to stay in a higher division.

if thats the case the 400k should be spent on a replacement and keep taylor...

the thing this season is were out of all the cups with no extra income coming until the televised game against leeds....so the owners either take it on the chin and we go up,or they let 2 players,maybe 3 if davies goes leave the club and we stay put.

whatever happens if we miss promotion this squad will be ripped apart,there have to my recolection been been tepid offers for

hughes

taylor

eardly

lomax

smalley

maybe the club have offered him a deal already and he has said i will not sign anything until end of season until i know how we have done or see what offers come in...that his perogative..

if hughes was to go to donny and keep scoring then it would be certain they would stay in the championship,thats the incentive for them,a gamble to stay in a higher division.

if thats the case the 400k should be spent on a replacement and keep taylor...

the thing this season is were out of all the cups with no extra income coming until the televised game against leeds....so the owners either take it on the chin and we go up,or they let 2 players,maybe 3 if davies goes leave the club and we stay put.

whatever happens if we miss promotion this squad will be ripped apart,there have to my recolection been been tepid offers for

hughes

taylor

eardly

lomax

smalley

From what I understand, Hughes wasnt very happy at Davies being offered a new deal. And Im pretty sure he hasnt been offered a new contract. I think Donny are interested, but also think this could be Hughes trying to play TTA hand. AGENTS! AGENTS! AGENTS!

All points aside i think this is a load of bollocks.

Hughes has not set the world on fire this season in terms of goals. We have seen him week in week out and we know he has been very unlucky, other teams, especially ones outside this division are unlikely to know this.

Is any team likely to take a gamble on Hughes based on his record in the Championship before he went to prison? Also adding in the bad publicity the move will get their club? Anything less than around the 400k mark isn't likely to tempt us into selling before the end of the season either so for any club in the championship it is a MASSIVE gamble to take compared to other options out there.

Myself personally would take it as a bit of an insult from Hughes if he wanted to move before the end of the season. After giving him his chance to revive his career for him to simply bugger off half way through our promotion push season would piss me off a little and I wouldn't have fond memories of him if he chose to leave in that way.

Still, its a load of bollocks.

All points aside i think this is a load of bollocks.

Hughes has not set the world on fire this season in terms of goals. We have seen him week in week out and we know he has been very unlucky, other teams, especially ones outside this division are unlikely to know this.

Is any team likely to take a gamble on Hughes based on his record in the Championship before he went to prison? Also adding in the bad publicity the move will get their club? Anything less than around the 400k mark isn't likely to tempt us into selling before the end of the season either so for any club in the championship it is a MASSIVE gamble to take compared to other options out there.

Myself personally would take it as a bit of an insult from Hughes if he wanted to move before the end of the season. After giving him his chance to revive his career for him to simply bugger off half way through our promotion push season would piss me off a little and I wouldn't have fond memories of him if he chose to leave in that way.

Still, its a load of bollocks.

Its not bollocks!!!!!!!

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but have you noticed that Hughes doesn't seem to respond to the fans in the same way anymore when he scores a goal.

I don't know if it's true, but I heard from a good sauce that he'd stopped doing his goal celebration after failing the audition for 'Strictly Come Dancing'.

no latics fan wants to see hughes or taylor leave in january and im sure neither do shez or tta.

but if the offers come in they feel it is right for the business as a whole not just the football side of things then they will sell.

i will be upset if either go but i would rather the club started to make a proffit and help us build for a stronger future.

players come and go (good players or not) but oldham athletic will be here longer...hopefully

and in todays climate we might just HAVE to sell

in the tta we trust even if we dont go up this season............but please dont sell them :wink:

P.S. If Hughes doesn't go to Doncaster for £400,000 in January, I think Messrs oafc lover and Eddie m'curk owe us an apology and an admission that it was, after all, nothing but tabloid paper talk that only an absolute fool would treat as gospel.

As far as I'm concerned, tabloid stories and forum claims are completely meaningless. I will believe it if and when it happens.

And if it does happen, we will not be promoted.

Edited by garcon

The best senerio for me would be Davies to be sold cos I don't think he'll be back anyway, hopefully 150K plus (this window). Eardley to go to a championship club who'll take the chance on him, purely because he'll be the easist of our saleable assets to replace (the end of the season). Hughes to pen a further 12 months now and give it a right good go this season with Taylor and co.

Hughes can go — if the price is right

Reporter: MICHAEL YARWOOD

Date online: 01/12/2008

TOP scorer Lee Hughes can leave Athletic for £400,000 during next month’s transfer window.

A release clause in the striker’s contract allows him to quit Boundary Park if any club comes up with the minimum offer.

The decision would be taken out of Athletic’s hands and, although no bids have been received, there is a distinct chance of rivals teams exploiting the situation.

Championship strugglers Doncaster are among the clubs watching Hughes (32), who has hit nine goals this season and is due out of contract in June.

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy admitted: “It could well be the case that Doncaster are interested in Lee, and I suppose a lot of clubs should be because he’s a good player.

“We wouldn’t want to sell any of our good players while we are challenging for promotion, but it looks like clubs have been made aware of the release clause in Lee’s contract.”

Hughes has spent most of his career in the top two divisions and is keen on a return to the Championship.

If any clubs trigger the clause by offering £400,000, Athletic will be powerless. And unless there is a bidding war, they will not receive a higher fee.

Alternatively, Hughes could wait until his deal runs out next summer and then walk away as a free agent.

Athletic, however, hope he will stay throughout their promotion push and fulfil his Championship ambitions at Boundary Park.

The former Coventry and West Brom star – who once commanded a transfer fee of £5million — is settled in the area and has rebuilt his career since leaving prison.

But Athletic are bracing themselves for a busy transfer window as offers are also expected for winger Chris Taylor, and possibly other members of the squad.

Meanwhile, the home league match against Leeds United has been brought forward 24 hours to Monday, March 2, and will be live on Sky Sports.

WHICH IDIOT PUT A CLAUSE IN HIS CONTRACT!! You'd hope he shows loyalty by staying til june, then if we go up/dont go up and he wants to stay or go then we can part on amicable terms.

A mate of mine says Donny couldnt afford 400k but we'll wait and see. Im just sick of football, as soon as we have something good at this club it gets broken up.....

"TOP scorer Lee Hughes can leave Athletic for £400,000 during next month’s transfer window.

A release clause in the striker’s contract allows him to quit Boundary Park if any club comes up with the minimum offer.

The decision would be taken out of Athletic’s hands and, although no bids have been received, there is a distinct chance of rivals teams exploiting the situation.

Championship strugglers Doncaster are among the clubs watching Hughes (32), who has hit nine goals this season and is due out of contract in June.

Athletic chief executive Alan Hardy admitted: “It could well be the case that Doncaster are interested in Lee, and I suppose a lot of clubs should be because he’s a good player.

“We wouldn’t want to sell any of our good players while we are challenging for promotion, but it looks like clubs have been made aware of the release clause in Lee’s contract.”

Hughes has spent most of his career in the top two divisions and is keen on a return to the Championship.

If any clubs trigger the clause by offering £400,000, Athletic will be powerless. And unless there is a bidding war, they will not receive a higher fee.

Alternatively, Hughes could wait until his deal runs out next summer and then walk away as a free agent.

Athletic, however, hope he will stay throughout their promotion push and fulfil his Championship ambitions at Boundary Park.

The former Coventry and West Brom star – who once commanded a transfer fee of £5million — is settled in the area and has rebuilt his career since leaving prison.

But Athletic are bracing themselves for a busy transfer window as offers are also expected for winger Chris Taylor, and possibly other members of the squad. "