Lee Hughes to Doncaster - for 400k

Wow, skim-read through the 7 pages of this thread, i believe if there is a 400k release clause then its bye bye in Jan for Mr Hughes; a chamionship club (be it Donny or some else) will stump up that amount as it makes more sense on a 'proven' goalscorer than getting in a 'maybe' type of striker for more money......

If it is a done deal (as some say) i hope the coaching staff are checking all avenues for a replacement now - a loan signing seeming to be the most logical; but do they go young kid & gamble or old head & gamble??

Out of all the recent loanees, i wouldn't mind Jordan Roberts back, assumeing he's over his injury, as he looked good in his stay with us.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, skim-read through the 7 pages of this thread, i believe if there is a 400k release clause then its bye bye in Jan for Mr Hughes; a chamionship club (be it Donny or some else) will stump up that amount as it makes more sense on a 'proven' goalscorer than getting in a 'maybe' type of striker for more money......

If it is a done deal (as some say) i hope the coaching staff are checking all avenues for a replacement now - a loan signing seeming to be the most logical; but do they go young kid & gamble or old head & gamble??

Out of all the recent loanees, i wouldn't mind Jordan Roberts back, assumeing he's over his injury, as he looked good in his stay with us.

Robertson is currently on loan at Southampton, and according to my Saints supporting mate seems to be pretty handy. Scored an absolute cracker earlier this season. Cant remember if he is on loan till January or if its for the whole season. I would assume that if Shez is aware that Hughes is going then he is exploring other avenues, but unlike some i think Davies will be back in January to fight for his place. A confident focused Davies is like a brand new signing imo

Judging by the fact that Hughsey's kids are wearing Barca and Spain footy kits in the photos on his stalkbook, I'd say he's off to Barcelona in an exchange for Henry come January

Well its clear that Hughesey has no affinity or commitment to the club so i say sell him at the next avaliable opportunity. Forget Henry, Jon Newby would do a job for us

Well its clear that Hughesey has no affinity or commitment to the club so i say sell him at the next avaliable opportunity. Forget Henry, Jon Newby would do a job for us

Brilliant.

great you have come up with that conclusion following some fans specualtion, and the fact we have finally discovered he has a release clause for £400k - which I bet the club put in to cover their own backs...

... yep, no affinity or commitment.... Hughes has not said a word, and neither have we had any sort of indication from the club as to whether they have any interest in keeping him...

How about Corney coming out saying they are doing everything they can to keep our leading goalscrer... he hasnt, because it probably aint true...

Brilliant.

great you have come up with that conclusion following some fans specualtion, and the fact we have finally discovered he has a release clause for £400k - which I bet the club put in to cover their own backs...

... yep, no affinity or commitment.... Hughes has not said a word, and neither have we had any sort of indication from the club as to whether they have any interest in keeping him...

How about Corney coming out saying they are doing everything they can to keep our leading goalscrer... he hasnt, because it probably aint true...

Whooshed?

Brilliant.

Thats because Corney is off to Barcelona as well. He is selling his stakehold at BP and investing it in a little Tapas bar next to the Nou Camp, and a stall to sell Hughes 09 shirts. Its all true, because a waiter in La Tasca told me at the weekend!

Guest sheridans_world
Thats because Corney is off to Barcelona as well. He is selling his stakehold at BP and investing it in a little Tapas bar next to the Nou Camp, and a stall to sell Hughes 09 shirts. Its all true, because a waiter in La Tasca told me at the weekend!

Corney doesnt have a stakehold at BP.

Maybe it is... who knows, as you say...

Have come to the point where i'm a bit indifferent about anything that happens, sell him, dont sell him, sell taylor, dont sell taylor.... whatever... howver if they go, dont throw the toys out of the pram when we lose a few games and end up mid-table...

Its the way of Oldham... we have to sell, however whether that is in january or at the end of the season has to show an indication of what thee TTA (all 4 of them :wink: ) want from this season....

It might be interesting if we sell Hughes for £400k and Byfield... then sell eards and Davies... we could end up in a position where we have balanced the books, and have a couple of hundred thou to spend on a decent goalscorer.... which could be a win win situation...

However... DONT SELL HUGHESY! :wink:

heres another joke you may like lol ,sell hughes for 400k and get porter back for 250k on a five year contract.

We have to be realistic here, if the man hadn't been in prison there's no way he would have considered playing for Oldham in the second division.

We have to be grateful to the TTA and Barry Owen for making it happen.

Lee wants another crack at the championship and the last chance of a lucrative deal in what will probably be his last money spinning move he'll get and who can blame him.

If we'd gone up last season he may well have signed a longer improved contract but we didn't and if he goes then good luck to him.

As has been said earlier the 400K clause was probably put in there for our own benefit and to stop another Porter debacle.

The only other possibility I can see is by offering him a 1 year extension on his contract now at championship wages, if we go up it will have been a good deal and if we don't then we sell him to the highest bidder in May.

If that did happen then Taylor would almost certainly be on his way in January.

All of our players under the scrutiny of other sides are not going to lose value at the end of the season, and in reality will probably be worth even more.

This is possibly our best chance ever at getting out of this division, so, do TTA shell out more money and go for it, or do we cut our losses now and risk the possibility of many more seasons in this god awful division.

I think the big question is, how badly do TTA want promotion!!!

Reuse the Hughes money to bring in Bishop from Bury??

Good shout Frankly.

As for Hughes, yes we know he would like one last hoorah and there's been a bit of a you scratch my back etc.. with this whole deal. What is disappointing is that like the Porter situation (who had scored more than Hughes by now) we have a striker who spent most of his first season crocked, then manages to put 10 games together, bangs a few in and has his head turned a little. Although Hughes himself is being true to his word, he did say he would love to play in the Championship with Latics but if not then he would move on. It seems because a new lucrative contract has not been offered, he's thinking "sod you, thanks for taking all the flak, i'm off back to the promised land",

I would like him to stay but not at the cost of bankrupting the club and £400k for a guy nigh on 33 is not a bad deal at all. If i'm honest he won't cut it at Championship level, a workmanlike Hudds marked him out of the game and he struggled like hell vs Leicester. He does a good job against the poorer/average teams but his outstanding performances vs better opposition are few are far between. (Everton and Leeds apart)

The one guy I don't want to leave is Taylor, Oldham through and through and has been our talisman all year. a winger with 8 goals already and most of them away from home (7 is it? and one at home?) NOW HE WOULD BE THE REAL LOSS. Given Shez's record in bringing strikers in i'm sure (I hope!!!!) there may be a plan b.

Now I know TTA would be willing to offer him a new deal, but similar to the one he's on. I for one don't blame them, his injury problems mean it is too much of a risk. Knowing our luck he'll break down vs Carlisle, the £400k will go begging and he'll bugger off for nowt in the summer. But sell Hughes over Taylor anyday. Hughes despite being decent at this level, is a has-been.

if he goes then good luck to him,its been said before 400 grand is a lot of money for a 33year old,what if he does'nt go and after the window shuts he gets injured and misses the rest of the season we'll be bolloxed and can't get a replacement in,this way if he goes it gives us enough time to get a list of replacements together and start making inquiries instead of repeating the shambles of last january,i would'nt mind seeing that lad from carlisle think he's called graham or summat like that also joel porter.ktf.

:wink:

:lol:

I was waiting for whom would be first to mention the Bishop link... very surprised it wasnt you Mark!

Wouldnt be a bad trade off... he looks like a reasonable goalscorer, and him and Byfield wouldnt be half bad...

... who knows what is going to bloody happen.... its latics, ai'it...

:lol:

:unsure:

I was waiting for whom would be first to mention the Bishop link... very surprised it wasnt you Mark!

Wouldnt be a bad trade off... he looks like a reasonable goalscorer, and him and Byfield wouldnt be half bad...

... who knows what is going to bloody happen.... its latics, ai'it...

didn't I mention it on here a few weeks ago.... or was that just to you ?

Ive been told that Hughes will be offered a Contract by the end of this month a contract that would suit both parties should things not work out has planned.

TTA know that Hughes is important to the team not only for his contribution on the pitch but how he helps bring on the other forwards at the club in games and in training.

Within every organisation there are often conflict of opinions, its hoped that these opinions can be worked on so everyone is happy.

Several Clubs have wanted to talk to Hughes since he started to bang in the goals, nothing has changed - Its only now since the private terms of his contract have been made available that clubs have come sniffing.

Hughes by all accounts is happy where he is living, he just wants to make sure that the BEST last deal for him is given !