Manchester Congestion Charge Referendum

dfOAFC

Congestion Charge Referendum  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Your Vote

• Yes
    • No

Would admin kindly leave this on the main board and, if possible, pin it???

Yes, not directly related to Latics but a massive issue for the town and area.

What are peoples thoughts?? Yes or No???

I'm in the NO camp at the moment.

for 10 years we've been promised a metrolink line to Oldham (albeit running alongside the existing railway line, what's the point in that?) and now we can "secure" £3 billion of funding towards it by paying £5 a day to get into Manchester??

what do I pay road tax, council tax & income tax for??

how many people live in/move to our failing town and commute to work in Manchester?

will they still live here and contribute to the local economy if they have to pay £5 a day to get into the city centre???

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will they still live here and contribute to the local economy if they have to pay £5 a day to get into the city centre???

Just as easy to argue the metrolink would make it more of a attractive proposal....

There is little excuse to live in Oldham and drive to Manchester... Are public transport links with Manchester are already very good...

I see the £5 charge a tax on the ignorant and selfish and I fully support it...

Edited by oafc0000

Don't bother linking it mentally with any other policy that they will do in exchange, just judge it on it's own merits - once the money is out of your pocket, it's gone.

If I were in the area I would vote against. It's a very clumsy tool that attempts to replicate some sort of market pricing scheme but is effectively just a tax to raise revenue. Hundreds of thousands of people's daily lives don't just fit into planners hands like that.

On the other side, could create an attractive employment opportunity for me... :peepwall:

Don't bother linking it mentally with any other policy that they will do in exchange, just judge it on it's own merits - once the money is out of your pocket, it's gone.

If I were in the area I would vote against. It's a very clumsy tool that attempts to replicate some sort of market pricing scheme but is effectively just a tax to raise revenue. Hundreds of thousands of people's daily lives don't just fit into planners hands like that.

On the other side, could create an attractive employment opportunity for me... :peepwall:

Money wouldn't go out of my pockets...when I'm home I get the train from Gatley to Manchester anyway...so those who pay the charge can help fund a better service and an extension of the Metro to the Cheadle/Gatley area. Happy days.

Firmly in the no camp, although I am not against the idea of a congestion charge, but I am against the plans that are being proposed as it will penalise people for local driving, such as ourselves, who live right on the border.

Regardless of whether your in no or yes camp really cant see it getting through, oldham and rochdale could go either way, tameside, trafford plus one other (either wigan bolton or bury, forget now) more or less guaranteed to vote no.

The scheme needs 7 out of 10 districts to vote yes

Money wouldn't go out of my pockets...when I'm home I get the train from Gatley to Manchester anyway...so those who pay the charge can help fund a better service and an extension of the Metro to the Cheadle/Gatley area. Happy days.

Or spend on 1001 other things, or use to prop up their pension scheme, or who knows what? I'm just saying don't assume that they will spend it like for like on transport.

Or spend on 1001 other things, or use to prop up their pension scheme, or who knows what? I'm just saying don't assume that they will spend it like for like on transport.

They cant do that. They have to put 80% of the infrastructure promised in place before they start charging...

They cant do that. They have to put 80% of the infrastructure promised in place before they start charging...

Ah, clearly I haven't read the detail. Mind you, that hugely expensive tram stop beside the Big Top should give you a warning sign about what 80% of the infrastructure is worth.

What Oldham will gain!

Oldham

How the public transport investment would affect Oldham

The Metrolink would be re-routed through Oldham Town Centre. As well as the tram connecting people to more places, improvements would also be made to bus and rail services, Park and Ride facilities and cycling routes.

Metrolink

TIF improvements would include:

• the tram entering the heart of Oldham town centre with new stops at Westwood, Oldham King Street, Oldham Central (Union Street) with a relocated stop at Oldham Mumps
  • on weekdays, trams would run every six minutes from Union Street to Shaw and Manchester city centre
  • an extra station at Kingsway Business Park, between Shaw and Rochdale town centre
  • extensions to Rochdale town centre, Manchester Airport, Ashton-under-Lyne and East Didsbury. Funding has also been earmarked for a potential Trafford Centre extension via the Trafford Park line
  • 62 new trams, 20 miles of additional track and 41 new stops equipped with new ticket machines for ‘Smartcard’ ticketing as well as debit and credit cards
  • there would be a major expansion of Metrolink across Greater Manchester with the capacity to carry an extra 30,000 passengers in each of the morning and evening peak periods
  • Bus improvements

Examples of proposed changes to buses in Oldham include:

• Greenfield – Oldham – Manchester increased from two to four buses an hour, during Monday to Saturday daytimes; it will link to the Huddersfield /Diggle/Uppermill service at Grasscroft to give eight buses per hour to Oldham, continuing via Copster Hill to Manchester. Evening and Sunday services increased to every 30 minutes
  • the existing Shaw – Rushcroft - Buckstones circular service would be increased from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes, Mondays to Saturdays. The service will start earlier, finish later and will additionally operate every 30 minutes on Sunday daytimes to provide a local feeder service for Metrolink at Shaw and Crompton station
  • the Shaw – Oldham – Middleton – Manchester service would increase to every seven or eight minutes during the day between Oldham and Manchester (every 20 minutes in the evenings and on Sundays)
  • West Chadderton – Oldham increased from hourly to every 30 minutes during the day, Monday to Saturday. Would start earlier and would be re-routed to serve Royal Oldham Hospital
  • additional circular (orbital) bus services to connect areas outside the city centre
  • 180 Yellow School Buses would be introduced across Greater Manchester providing customised services to schools, with seats allocated to pupils and drivers dedicated to the service
  • These are just some examples of proposed bus service and facility improvements, with Greater Manchester seeing an overall increase of 10% to bus services with more services starting earlier, running later in the evening and at weekends.
  • Rail improvements
  • Extra carriages would be added on peak-time trains using Mills Hill and Greenfield. Also additional refurbishment would take place at Greenfield station.
To reduce overcrowding, there would be extra rail carriages for services across Greater Manchester with capacity for an additional 2,950 passengers in the three hour morning peak period. This is as well as the additional capacity for 4,100 passengers in the three hour morning peak, which would be funded by the Government without TIF.

Park and Ride

The TIF proposals would double the existing number of Park and Ride spaces serving Greater Manchester. Money has already been dedicated to this and positive feedback in the recent consultations has resulted in additional funds being set aside in re-allocated Local Transport Plan budgets for further sites across the region – funds that might have been invested elsewhere without TIF.

Park and Ride facilities at Shaw and Crompton would be expanded. The Chadderton area would benefit from expanded park and ride facilities at Mills Hill.

Cycling

Improvements for cyclists with 125 miles of cycle routes and cycle parking across Greater Manchester and cycle hire schemes in Manchester and Stockport. Cycle routes planned for Oldham include:

• cycle facility between Moston and Chadderton for safer cycling away from main roads
  • upgraded route alongside Rochdale canal between the city centre and White Gate
  • a new route between Failsworth and White Gate.
  • there would also be three improved cycle routes crossing the proposed charging rings
  • Improvements for passengers

Further passenger improvements would include:

• a 20% reduction on public transport fares at peak times for low paid workers (statutory minimum wage)
  • better and more timely travel information via real-time electronic displays and improved safety and security with CCTV, help points and better lighting at stops and stations
  • an integrated ticketing and simplified fare structure using a new ‘Smartcard ticket’ would allow prepayment of fares for travel on trains, trams and buses
  • 80% of the public transport improvements would be in place across Greater Manchester with a significant improvement in public transport in Oldham, before the peak-time congestion charge would begin in summer 2013.

Plain scaremongering....

Probably useful if people actually took the time to read: http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/

Can't be arsed really don't agree..definately selfish and ignorant.

Another 'inventive' revenue maker from our great leaders, this time called a congestion charge!

Does enough money not already go in for our 'transport system' or is there a chance that it is used somewhere else?!?!? Perhaps a link pointing to where else our money is spent, would open up some real "selfish and ignorant attitude debate!"

Plain scaremongering....

Probably useful if people actually took the time to read: http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/

I will have a look at that when I can summon the energy. It's hardly scaremongering to point out that they have already built a very expensivetram stop there, complete with fancy artistic sculpture, years in advance of any trams going there? Interest lost on that spending will be worth a fortune, regardless of maintenance and security while it sits there empty.

My parents would have to pay it to take my younger sisters to school, and would have to pay if they continued to attend after school clubs (and as such are considering changing her school, but why should they??). My girlfriend would have to pay to drive to and from my house and me likewise to her house and we live no where near the city centre!

Its a Joke, and it WONT reduce the traffic in manchester city centre! just another way for the government to raise money through motorists yet again, there just crooks.

http://www.stopthecharge.co.uk/

I will have a look at that when I can summon the energy. It's hardly scaremongering to point out that they have already built a very expensivetram stop there, complete with fancy artistic sculpture, years in advance of any trams going there? Interest lost on that spending will be worth a fortune, regardless of maintenance and security while it sits there empty.

Your a fruit if you think that would equal 80% of the funding :lol:

My parents would have to pay it to take my younger sisters to school, and would have to pay if they continued to attend after school clubs (and as such are considering changing her school, but why should they??). My girlfriend would have to pay to drive to and from my house and me likewise to her house and we live no where near the city centre!

Its a Joke, and it WONT reduce the traffic in manchester city centre! just another way for the government to raise money through motorists yet again, there just crooks.

http://www.stopthecharge.co.uk/

It wont reduce traffice in the congestion zone yet you freely admit your parents are planning on changing your sisters school to avoid it :lol:

I doubt everyone can afford a extra £200 a month... There is no doubt it will reduce traffic :)

Edited by oafc0000

Your a fruit if you think that would equal 80% of the funding :lol:

No, but it would account for some %age of it with sod all benefit to anybody except the people who did the work on it. There's no saying that public transport will all be wonderful after 100% of the millions has been spent.

No, but it would account for some %age of it with sod all benefit to anybody except the people who did the work on it.

Surely its a benefit to the people who would us it ?? I can grantee that % will be small...

There's no saying that public transport will all be wonderful after 100% of the millions has been spent.

No... But you can grantee it wont get better if we don't spend anything....

1) Don't trust politicians to deliver on the promises.

2) How many new bus stations has Oldham had in the last 15 years? I've lived in the borough for that period of time and can think of 4 town centre bus station developments in that time. Do we really need to give 'the powers that be' more money to replace perfectly good existing infrastructure?

3) No way in a million years will more early buses and more late buses be sustained beyond 3 or 4 years.

4) Once the 'improvements' are no longer shiny, I don't trust 'the powers that be' to sustain and maintain them appropriately. Local and central government in its various guises is good at collecting tax from the masses. Good at spending it for what they believe is the best reasons. Piss poor at actually delivering the services that the people genuinely need and want. The more you give them the less they deliver.

5) It could be a genuine economic cock up that causes massive damage to the Greater Manchester economy that will cost us all a lot more than a fiver a day in the long run.