225 members have voted

1. 1. Your Vote

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have voted 'Yes'. The proposals should help Oldham and Rochdale etc regenerate, improve and prosper. It's not often this amount of money comes around for investment in transport services, so we should grab it whilst we can.

It's a shame that the Transport improvements cannot go ahead without the Congestion Charge, and to some degree I feel we are being held to ransom. But I will still vote yes.

There are pros and cons to most aspects of the congestions charge, ultimately in the case of the majority, people will vote according to how the situation will affect them personally. I expect the No vote to win. It is a shame that a lot of those voting No will do so because they are not properly informed and think that the Congestion Charge is a blanket one in operation at all times when in fact it is only in operation for about 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening on weekdays only.

Of course i get it you arrogant bastard. Will the charge actually affect you? After all it says next to your post that your from Warrington.

The tram is going to replace an existing train that is of no use to anyone in Royton. Bypassing it thru the town centre isnt going to help. And do u really think that you will get all these new buses. There was an article from an mp in the chronicle (thats an oldham newspaper, not sure if u get near liverpool) that the quoted number of school buses fro the oldham area is just one more than what we already have. I'm not adverse to change or progress, i just think there are other ways to raise the revenue without taxing motorists that are alreading being bled to death with reported 500 quid road taxes and ridiculous fuel duty. And please dont bring up the petrol prices coming down, cos thats due to a fall in the price of oil, nothing to do with the government.

OAFC0000, how many countries bus services are as fragmented as ours? I worked for a Bus company shortly after deregulation, and to be honest it was a bad day for public transport in this country. My sons buy weekly savers for their work/college journeys. They can't hop on any bus they like, as the fare isn't valid on all operators. To obtain a network wide pass becomes expensive, and as has already been said the service is poor.

http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/

Im sorry but system on is not expensive....

I do agree deregulation was the wrong way to go....

Son number 2 was on the bus to college, when the bus broke down. Another bus (different operator) turned up and my son asked the driver of the broken bus if he'd be able to continue his journey on that bus. The driver said yes, but you'll have to pay your fare again. My son argued they are obliged to conclude his journey at no extra cost, the driver said 'yes I know.......the replacement bus will be here in half an hour'. To avoid being late he had to fork out the new fare.

Wouldnt have a problem if he had a system one pass....

Yet we have people here stating for a fact it will effect small business....

They are correct, and you continue to be wrong (and possessed of a belief in the superiority of your intellect that I cannot for the life of me understand the basis of). You asked how many businesses in London went bankrupt, and it is impossible to give a numerical answer to that. It is however possible to demonstrate that businesses will close and jobs be lost.

No for me at the moment.

Ive heard the tram line will replace the rail line at mumps is this true?? - if so thats pointless y replace the train line that runs well and quick and then replace it with a metro that will take the same time as bus (give or take a few mins)

I can confirm that the train services from Rochdale to Manchester via Oldham will cease as of October 2009 and will not recommence for 3 years, so those of us who use the train already to go to work are being forced onto the roads while they convert the line. Incidentally, the stopper from Oldham Mumps to Manchester Vic take 19 mnis and all but the Autumn timetable. Anyone confirm how much longer the tram will take to make the same journey?

PS Funding is ALREADY| in place for the Metrolink extension from Manchester To Rochdale, it's only the extra section which diverts through the town cente which is subject to TIF.

Edited by danoafc

They are correct, and you continue to be wrong (and possessed of a belief in the superiority of your intellect that I cannot for the life of me understand the basis of). You asked how many businesses in London went bankrupt, and it is impossible to give a numerical answer to that. It is however possible to demonstrate that businesses will close and jobs be lost.

Utter scaremongering.. All the same arguments spouted when london got its charged and all proved to be bollox....

No viable business will go...

Please demonstrate a type of business that will go and why....

Congestion Charge is a blanket one in operation at all times when in fact it is only in operation for about 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening on weekdays only.

For how long though? as soon as the public votes yes and the government/council get that vote, they change it how they like! I bet you after 2-3 years its an all day charge, a bigger zone and a bigger charge!

I have yet to meet anyone who is voting "yes".

I want the extension but not at the cost that is being proposed. Vote "yes" and you will pay a tax that will be increased both in cost and time as the years go by. If it works, then IT WILL BE EXTENDED TO INCLUDE OLDHAM AND THE SURROUNDING TOWNS!

And London is counting the cost of it.. they are currently removing the western part of it as it has damaged business.

Also, if the Government can find mega-billions for loss making banks, why should we have to also pay for a better transport system? Our politicians should be beating a path to 10 Downing Street demanding a grant for all of it.

Utter scaremongering.. All the same arguments spouted when london got its charged and all proved to be bollox....

No viable business will go...

Please demonstrate a type of business that will go and why....

All economic change happens at the margin. Any increase in the cost of doing business will cause companies which were already close to the edge to fold, or relocate, or not locate there in the first place, or reduce their activity. We are not talking about a small amount of money here, so we are not talking about a small effect on business levels. Once again, I can only declare myself utterly amazed not that you have the views you do, but that you are so utterly arrogant and dismissive of the views of others despite you not understanding the simplest of economic principles.

I own a small business... I operate in Manchester.... Im not worried....

How exactly is this going to effect a small business ? Surly if your preaching it you can explain it ?

i wasn't "preaching" it, i was answering your question.

All economic change happens at the margin. Any increase in the cost of doing business will cause companies which were already close to the edge to fold, or relocate, or not locate there in the first place, or reduce their activity. We are not talking about a small amount of money here, so we are not talking about a small effect on business levels. Once again, I can only declare myself utterly amazed not that you have the views you do, but that you are so utterly arrogant and dismissive of the views of others despite you not understanding the simplest of economic principles.

:lol:

You cant answer me can you... You cant point out a business that will be effect or how it will be effected :lol: Yet you still believe it will ??

As for being arrogant and dismissive... Its hard not to be when people clearly dont know what they are talking about....