225 members have voted

1. 1. Your Vote

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will affect businesses and big stores too, as it did in london, a few examples:

:Shops and businesses are reported to be heavily affected by the charge, both in terms of lost sales due to reduced traffic and increased delivery costs, as recognised by the London Chamber of Commerce.

:In August 2003, the John Lewis Partnership announced that in the first six months of the charge's operation, sales at their Oxford Street store fell by 7.3%

:another report stated that there had been a reduction in some employment in the charging zone.

:A report in May 2005 stated that the number of shoppers had declined by 7% year-on-year in March, 8% in April and 11% in the first two weeks of May.

:At the same time a London Chamber of Commerce report indicated that 25% of businesses were planning on relocation following the charges introduction

:The Centre for Economics and Business Research predicted that the West London extension in February 2007 would cause 6,000 job losses

:In May 2007, a survey of 150 local businesses stated they had seen an average drop in business of 25% following the introduction of the charge.

At work we have a one man band metal basher who operates inside the ring. Going to work will cost him as he needs his van for tools. Steelwork deliveries will be more expensive. He already has to be ultra competetive in his pricing, how can he cover the extra costs?

I own a small business... I operate in Manchester.... Im not worried....

How exactly is this going to effect a small business ? Surly if your preaching it you can explain it ?

Then it's interesting that you were complaining in another thread about not being able to get to night games, when you get the train into Manchester, yet I manage it with a good hour or so to spare...............

But as i said earlier. The train doesnt stop near my house and i dont want to catch 2 buses to get to work. And thirdly, as an emergency services worker i cant get to work late because of public transport and make up for it by staying late on other nights. I dont drive out of principle, i drive out of neccesity. Bored of ur pompous attitude now, i'm off.

All economic change happens at the margin. Any increase in the cost of doing business will cause companies which were already close to the edge to fold, or relocate, or not locate there in the first place, or reduce their activity. We are not talking about a small amount of money here, so we are not talking about a small effect on business levels. Once again, I can only declare myself utterly amazed not that you have the views you do, but that you are so utterly arrogant and dismissive of the views of others despite you not understanding the simplest of economic principles.

There will most certainly be some negative impact on some businesses in some areas, but if Oldham, Rochdale etc are to aspire to be more than they currently are and want to attract more and bigger and better businesses - which are the key to regenerating the areas and creating more wealth in the area - the transport infrastructure needs to be improved. It could be argued that the TIF proposals will have a positive impact on employment levels and prosperity in the local areas.

Then it's interesting that you were complaining in another thread about not being able to get to night games, when you get the train into Manchester, yet I manage it with a good hour or so to spare...............

I cant go night game because the wife...not because of the transport :)

:lol:

You cant answer me can you... You cant point out a business that will be effect or how it will be effected :lol: Yet you still believe it will ??

As for being arrogant and dismissive... Its hard not to be when people clearly dont know what they are talking about....

Let me spell it out then, maybe you will get it before MOTD2 as I find it boring giving you the attention you thrive on. I enjoyed it a previous time when you mocked my simple definitions of political terminology even after learning about my qualifications in the field, well I am starting to tire of being told about GCSE level economics when I am qualified to a rather higher level in that field as well, and about the parking industry, which I currently work in in London.

So..... read, and absorb, rather than just replying with a smiley.....

Q) - Who will be driving into the C-zone in rush hour?

A) - People doing so in the course of their business

Q) Who covers the costs of people doing business? (Ultimately that is - refer to Ricardo's theory of derived value if you think costs will be paid for by the source user)

A) Businesses

Q) What happens when you increase the cost of any activity in the world?

A) Less of that activity is carried out.

Any closer?

At work we have a one man band metal basher who operates inside the ring. Going to work will cost him as he needs his van for tools. Steelwork deliveries will be more expensive. He already has to be ultra competetive in his pricing, how can he cover the extra costs?

Delivery wont rise by much... Delivery companies will improve there routes.... Delivery companies will no doubt spread there cost over the entire business and are unlikely to raise local costs....

He also has a number of years to work things out...

Delivery wont rise by much... Delivery companies will improve there routes.... Delivery companies will no doubt spread there cost over the entire business and are unlikely to raise local costs....

He also has a number of years to work things out...

While trying to work out how to survive the current problems.

Q) What happens when you increase the cost of any activity in the world?

A) Less of that activity is carried out.

Any closer?

Yes... People will be driving less :) I doubt people will be doing business less... They will just find other ways to do business :)

Luckly I have a degree in Business and can beyond the GCSE level understanding you have :lol:

While trying to work out how to survive the current problems.

Its called running a business... The risks are great but the potential is great... Its the price you pay for being a business...

I have a action plan for the current crisis and for the future congestion charges (if they happen) to allow my business too survive...

I believe my business could become more profitable...

Edited by oafc0000

Yes... People will be driving less :) I doubt people will be doing business less... They will just find other ways to do business :)

Luckly I have a degree in Business and can beyond the GCSE level understanding you have :lol:

Just goes to show that you can throw money into education as well without seeing anything other than shoddy low quality output. I don't think I can help you, I did try.

Just goes to show that you can throw money into education as well without seeing anything other than shoddy low quality output. I don't think I can help you, I did try.

You tried to prove your point but came up short :)

You actually proved that the congestion charge will work :)

I don't have a degree......but have been priviliged to see the world as part of my work, quite a few countries put our transport system to shame. Unfortunately no political :censored:e will alter that fact.

As a side point, just to show how far behind we can be on sensible issues, 18 years ago I was using the bins I have just been issued with in Germany. I suppose we are getting there, but very slowly.

You tried to prove your point but came up short :)

You actually proved that the congestion charge will work :)

I barely tried at all as I didn't want to make it any harder for you than I needed to. What you are fundamentally missing is that there are other things that will shift other than the mode of transport people choose to make for a pre-ordained journey. But you aren't clever enough to see that. Oh well.