Who scored that Penalty!?

Guest oa_exile
Hey Mark, how did you get the video highlights on your ipod? I have the audio on mine from museumdelatique...

Thanks.

I'm no expert Mart but cant you download futchers briefs link onto your ipod ?

Brilliant day - sureal stood in the Chaddy with sunlight coming down (partial roof removal had started).

All goes tits up and 2-0 down. Long delay to eject Wednesday fans out of the chaddy and march them round the pitch to the cattle pen Rochdale Road end as well (this had an impact for West Ham - see later).

The football league apparently had the Trophy in Birmingham on the day, and with us losing and West Ham winning made the decision to send it down south.

Then the come back - Paul Bernards double deflected goal, Mullet March prods home and then up steps Shez who (honest as the day is long) was so incensed by the referee not seeing the blatant hand ball seconds earlier (Carlton Palmer?) decides to ensure justice is done by hacking down Puddin boy....

I work with a West Ham fan who was at the Boleyn Ground that day. Due to the delay at our game, there was an annoucement at the full time whistle that said over the tannoy "Score at Oldham, two all - West Ham are champions" and the ground erupted, the players celebrating on the pitch, fans running on. Then the tannoy stopped playing the Queen track for a moment to say "We've just heard they are still playing at Oldham we are not Champions yet..........". Followed shortly by "There is a penalty and Oldham.....Oldham score".

I wouldn't have swapped being at BP that day for anything, but I would like to have seen their faces.

As a result we get the trophy with West Ham on it and don't get it presented until the 3-2 win over City in Rogers testimonial.

Back to the penalty - watching on the TV footage, I love that another player (Henry I think) tries to jump on Redders back as he runs away in celebration. Nick does get a good grip round his neck and momentum of the incident sees Henry fly off to the side - and just as it pans out of shot you can see Henry smack full force into a fan and take them out. Whallop.

Hilarious.

This, Portman Road and Southampton home are the 3 greatest days supporting Latics for me.

He's a kid. Wasnt even born at the time. Give him a break.

Now I hope I am wrong, but there could be increasing numbers of Oldham fans who over the years will not have any personal recollection of the 'good times'. I was spoilt, within 4 years of watching Latics I saw the play-offs, 4 years later Wembley, then promotion, Premiership, Wembley again.

Since then I have since 14 years of pretty much mediocrity, interspersed with crapness and relegation and the occasional Cup delight. When my Dad told me at the time to appreciate the Royle era because he'd seen years of football at Latics and never experienced anything like it, I didn't understand.

This, Portman Road and Southampton home are the 3 greatest days supporting Latics for me.

Add 4-1 away at citeh,with the dodgers hat-rick and we only need 1 more for a top 5(old school not Everton)

Now I hope I am wrong, but there could be increasing numbers of Oldham fans who over the years will not have any personal recollection of the 'good times'. I was spoilt, within 4 years of watching Latics I saw the play-offs, 4 years later Wembley, then promotion, Premiership, Wembley again.

Since then I have since 14 years of pretty much mediocrity, interspersed with crapness and relegation and the occasional Cup delight. When my Dad told me at the time to appreciate the Royle era because he'd seen years of football at Latics and never experienced anything like it, I didn't understand.

Thing is, I have 60-70 years of Latics to come. I was born on the day of the 1994/1995 season start.

I'm not a kid ... i'm a young maturing adult :blush:

Edited by OAFCguy

Add 4-1 away at citeh,with the dodgers hat-rick and we only need 1 more for a top 5(old school not Everton)

Add Southampton away in the league cup and you have mine! Tie of the round for me ....... amazing how quick a mid-week journey back (exec coach mind not Barlows) can be after that last minute Stich goal

Ditto .... but don't forget to add two more play-offs and a club on the brink in those 14!

Add Southampton away in the league cup and you have mine! Tie of the round for me ....... amazing how quick a mid-week journey back (exec coach mind not Barlows) can be after that last minute Stich goal

You and Sav just added two of mine!

The city one was classic.........

Though i think you had better luck coming back from the Dell....we were on a trusty Barlows charrabang and 2 punctures later we arrived home at 7 o clock....the following morning :shock: This after my mate had been pad and mick as soon as we set off, 9 hours of sitting on the back row of a barlows coach, covered in shandy and sausage roll sick. :sick01:

It was all bloody worth it!! :grin:

Whilst there have been many memorable victories supporting Latics (and many more forgettable defeats) the reason I pick those 3 days because they meant something in the grand scheme of things.

Promotion / Winning something / And getting another year of top flight football. The couple of last day scraps to stay in this division are close, but the Premiership and Latics seemed so much more important.

Whilst there have been many memorable victories supporting Latics (and many more forgettable defeats) the reason I pick those 3 days because they meant something in the grand scheme of things.

Promotion / Winning something / And getting another year of top flight football. The couple of last day scraps to stay in this division are close, but the Premiership and Latics seemed so much more important.

thats why I added S'ton away. That last minute goal just gave the whole club such a huge sense of belief that just got bigger and bigger

thats why I added S'ton away. That last minute goal just gave the whole club such a huge sense of belief that just got bigger and bigger

My claim to disdain is the fact I had enough money from my paper-round to go to either the 'Boro game or the Sheff Wed game. Having been to Meadow Lane on the Satdy and our complete inept, "can't be arsed we're already up attitude" from the team that day, my 14 year mind decided the title had gone, so might as well go to the 'Boro game, a rather straight forward 2-0 win ensued with the highlight being the Chaddy end inviting Becky Want to get her tits out for the lads. at 2-0 down on the Satdy, I felt vindicated and whilst it could never make up for not being there, sat at home living through a roller-coaster of emotions through Pykey's commentary was an amazing experience!

My top 5:- (in no particular order)

from the pinch me years

City - Maine Road Sept '91

Wembley 1990

Semi-Final at Maine Road 1990 (3-3 draw)

First Home Game back in the top-flight v Chelsea

Southampton Great Escape

Top 5 during the years of mediocrity (surprisingly the crapper you are the more highlights you think of, grabbing of straws and all that!)

Swindon 24/4/04 Phew!

Wigan 7/1/00 Duxbuuuurrrreeeee

City 13/3/99 "We're :censored: and we're 2-0 up.........."

City 8/1/05

Everton 5/1/08 & West Ham 6/11/02

Edited by oafcprozac

Everton away when the school of science had to kick us to bits to get a draw.

City away so many times, and likewise L**ds away.

Typically though I am going to go for a defeat.

Liverpool away just because I was there. You had to be there to believe it was happening.

For the happy clappy lot, Villa away or Liverpool at home in the great escape season.

For the less well known jollies, QPR away when we won 3-1 and Swindon away (JJ super goal season).

KtF,

Derek.

You and Sav just added two of mine!

The city one was classic.........

Though i think you had better luck coming back from the Dell....we were on a trusty Barlows charrabang and 2 punctures later we arrived home at 7 o clock....the following morning :shock: This after my mate had been pad and mick as soon as we set off, 9 hours of sitting on the back row of a barlows coach, covered in shandy and sausage roll sick. :sick01:

It was all bloody worth it!! :grin:

I think we just about beat you home - we were on the Latics special train that took forever to get back. It stopped for ages at one point. Add to this that some of those who were sat with us had decided to got for a pre-match pint... and didn't get in the ground... So we had to 'calm' our celebratory mood out of sympathy!

In tems of the number of league places between Latics and the opposition, the greatest result in the Club's history was last season's win at Goodison Park. So the relatiive newcomers have already shared in the Club's glorious historical moments.

As I've said before, after 58 years of keping the Faith, I can count on two hands those other glorious historical moments.

My claim to disdain is the fact I had enough money from my paper-round to go to either the 'Boro game or the Sheff Wed game. Having been to Meadow Lane on the Satdy and our complete inept, "can't be arsed we're already up attitude" from the team that day, my 14 year mind decided the title had gone, so might as well go to the 'Boro game, a rather straight forward 2-0 win ensued with the highlight being the Chaddy end inviting Becky Want to get her tits out for the lads. at 2-0 down on the Satdy, I felt vindicated and whilst it could never make up for not being there, sat at home living through a roller-coaster of emotions through Pykey's commentary was an amazing experience!

I wasn't at the game either. With Mr and Mrs Sideburns stopping over in Oldham for Roger Palmer's testimonial the appeal of having the house to myself was too much for this 17 year-old.

:drinking::gorgeous::bblue2::naughty::dance::drinking45::drinking66::smoking:

In the days before the delights of Roy and Gordon I had to listen to the last few minutes on Clubcall - Diego really would be angry if he knew that he was paying for a premium rate phone call all through the delay before the penalty!!!!

:peepwall:

Another line.....The Ref delayed the penalty so that he could book Danny Wilson for encroaching into the area.

I was at a do the following week and Redfearn was there. I asked him why the ref had booked Wilson and he said that as he prepared to take it Wilson walked past him and said, 'miss it you :censored: !!'

I had to listen to the last few minutes on Clubcall - Diego really would be angry if he knew that he was paying for a premium rate phone call all through the delay before the penalty!!!!

:peepwall:

There are exceptional times when expense is justified, even when caused by the barsteward in black. As I've said repeatedly, I can count those times on the fingers of both hands over 58 years.

P.S. What's Danny Wilson's address so I can send him my phone bill?

I was at a do the following week and Redfearn was there. I asked him why the ref had booked Wilson and he said that as he prepared to take it Wilson walked past him and said, 'miss it you :censored: !!'

That's quality! I love finding out things like that - it makes it more enjoyable watching it again... and again... and, you get my drift!

Its amazing to see that crowd when u watch the utube clip. Looks like there isnt enough room to squeeze a rizla paper between the fans! Quality, dont think we'll ever see it like that again. Actually, we wont, the seats put paid to that!

My years of supporting Latics have been: Lost Play-offs, No promotion, Near Administration, No promotion, Lost Play-offs.

Look at me and Sav, and realise that there is an answer to the pain, especially now you are old enough :wink:

No, happiness in the victories that do come our way as well as the memories. Only today I was talking to a girl in our office who is a proper Hammers fan (she does some work for the club and has followed them all over forever). I said that a point wasn't a bad result for them last night. She agreed, and said that it had started off looking like they might lose 6 - 0

For the younger viewer - what happened next? :grin: