memorabilia - any info on this match ?

A woman who I work with recently gave me a big glass paperweight Oldham owl , bout 12" tall, that she said was in her garage. She said it was given to her ex-husbands firm for sponsoring the Latics v Spurs match, wed 20th April 1994 but that the game didnt take place ???. The inscription reads ' OLdham Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur Wednesday 20th April 1994. Oldham Athletic Owl Limited Edition 29/100.

Anyone know result of game and was it postponed ?? - cant remember !

also is it worth out ??

will put photo on linky thing but it dosnt do it justice - no, sorry, cant seem to put pic on, any help anyone ??

A woman who I work with recently gave me a big glass paperweight Oldham owl , bout 12" tall, that she said was in her garage. She said it was given to her ex-husbands firm for sponsoring the Latics v Spurs match, wed 20th April 1994 but that the game didnt take place ???. The inscription reads ' OLdham Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur Wednesday 20th April 1994. Oldham Athletic Owl Limited Edition 29/100.

also is it worth out ??

will put photo on linky thing but it dosnt do it justice - no, sorry, cant seem to put pic on, any help anyone ??

This game was potponed a number of times, the original game was called off because of an FA Cup tie, then it was called off in early March because of a waterlogged pitch, it was arranged for the 20th of April but again it was called off due to the BP pitch becoming waterlogged. Finally the game was played on Thursday 5th May 1994, it was on TV we lost 2-0 and it virtually sealed our relegation.

The programme from that night was from the 20th of April, it was usually normal practice to include an insert, none was printed this time, instead we were charged 20p less on the cover price.

Hope this helps!

Waterlogged pitch, got postponed twice. It's quite unique but not the nicest thing in the world to have as when we finally played them, we lost 2-0 and it effectively relegated us out of the Premiership. I wonder if any other club in the Premiership has played 4 times in 8 days before?

Guest oa_exile

also is it worth out ??

The only reason I can think of is the FA Cup semis which played Manure twice with the replay

semi was on 10/04/1994 & replay 13/04/1994

I have just checked and we played Spurs on May 5th 1994 losing 0:2 Att : 14,283

That was the season were relegated :(

Waterlogged pitch, got postponed twice. It's quite unique but not the nicest thing in the world to have as when we finally played them, we lost 2-0 and it effectively relegated us out of the Premiership. I wonder if any other club in the Premiership has played 4 times in 8 days before?

Do you post without reading what's been put before? LOL!

The only reason I can think of is the FA Cup semis which played Manure twice with the replay

semi was on 10/04/1994 & replay 13/04/1994

I have just checked and we played Spurs on May 5th 1994 losing 0:2 Att : 14,283

That was the season were relegated :(

Original date was for March 12th (Date of the Bolton 1/4 Final)

1st rearranged date i'm sure was March 16th

Guest oa_exile

This was the "mad" run-in we had that season :

09-04-1994 English FA Cup Man Utd 1-1 Oldham

13-04-1994 English FA Cup Man Utd 4-1 Oldham

16-04-1994 English Premier Oldham 1-2 West Ham

23-04-1994 English Premier Newcastle 3-2 Oldham

26-04-1994 English Premier MK Dons 3-0 Oldham

30-04-1994 English Premier Oldham 0-0 Sheff Wed 3

03-05-1994 English Premier Oldham 1-1 Sheff Utd

05-05-1994 English Premier Oldham 0-2 Tottenham

07-05-1994 English Premier Norwich 1-1 Oldham

This was the "mad" run-in we had that season :

09-04-1994 English FA Cup Man Utd 1-1 Oldham

13-04-1994 English FA Cup Man Utd 4-1 Oldham

16-04-1994 English Premier Oldham 1-2 West Ham

23-04-1994 English Premier Newcastle 3-2 Oldham

26-04-1994 English Premier MK Dons 3-0 Oldham

30-04-1994 English Premier Oldham 0-0 Sheff Wed 3

03-05-1994 English Premier Oldham 1-1 Sheff Utd

05-05-1994 English Premier Oldham 0-2 Tottenham

07-05-1994 English Premier Norwich 1-1 Oldham

9 games in 24 days!

wouldn't be allowed now mate

89/90 was a grueller too! although we got a two day extension the FL allowing us to play our last away game at already relegated Bratfurd on th Bank Holiday Monday!

English FA Cup Man Utd 2-1 Oldham 11-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Oldham 3-1 Leeds 13-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Port Vale 2-0 Oldham 16-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Plymouth 2-0 Oldham 18-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Oldham 3-0 West Ham 21-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Portsmouth 2-1 Oldham 24-04-1990

English League Cup Nottm Forest 1-0 Oldham 29-04-1990

English Division 2 (old) Oldham 4-1 Oxford 01-05-1990

English Division 2 (old) Oldham 1-1 Wolves 03-05-1990

English Division 2 (old) Sunderland 2-3 Oldham 05-05-1990

English Division 2 (old) Bradford 1-1 Oldham 07-05-1990

11 games in 26 days!

Edited by oafcprozac

Guest oa_exile
9 games in 24 days!

11 games in 26 days!

Looking at them both I went to all them games .......... money to burn in them days :blink: must have cost me a fortune :)

Guest oa_exile
FYI they were copied from the rarely wrong soccerbase :)>>SEE<<

Just to take soccebase to another annoying level :

Type in the Search for box Wimbeldon and drop down to teams > Go.............result :)

..........then do the same with MK Dons ..........and look at their History :shock:

This game was potponed a number of times, the original game was called off because of an FA Cup tie, then it was called off in early March because of a waterlogged pitch, it was arranged for the 20th of April but again it was called off due to the BP pitch becoming waterlogged. Finally the game was played on Thursday 5th May 1994, it was on TV we lost 2-0 and it virtually sealed our relegation.

The programme from that night was from the 20th of April, it was usually normal practice to include an insert, none was printed this time, instead we were charged 20p less on the cover price.

Hope this helps!

You never fail to amaze me! I sometimes wonder whether you have amazing retention skills for facts, or are just a saddo! :grin:

I've got nearly 40 years of Latics memories, but I couldn't tap into any of them at will - they occasionally just appear in my dreams (The naked lady ones soon override them though!)

Anyway, the glass owls were common mementos of match sponsorships - having put my hand in my pocket to sponsor games several times during the Premier League years, I often wonder why I see them at my brothers house, yet none are in my possession <_<:mmm:

Time I had words I think. :argue:

Guest oa_exile
You never fail to amaze me! I sometimes wonder whether you have amazing retention skills for facts, or are just a saddo! :grin:

I've got nearly 40 years of Latics memories, but I couldn't tap into any of them at will - they occasionally just appear in my dreams (The naked lady ones soon override them though!)

Anyway, the glass owls were common mementos of match sponsorships - having put my hand in my pocket to sponsor games several times during the Premier League years, I often wonder why I see them at my brothers house, yet none are in my possession <_<:mmm:

Time I had words I think. :argue:

He's bulky enough to soak up a hell of a lot of information :grin:

Is she fat with a good singing voice? B)

They're generally fat with a persistent nagging voice, and kicking me to wake me, in my experience. *

* Should anyone who knows me point my wife in the direction of this thread, I suggest you watch your back very carefully.... :wink:

1st rearranged date i'm sure was March 16th

It certainly was - I lived in London at the time and got the train up from Euston. Just before the train was due to set off they announced that the match had been postponed. A few Spurs fans got off but I was visiting Irish friends in Manchester for St Patricks Day so carried on. As I was wearing my Latics shirt every time I went to the buffet car or toilet I kept getting stopped by well-meaning strangers telling me the match had been postponed - must have had to explain ten times that I already knew!

As I was wearing my Latics shirt every time I went to the buffet car or toilet I kept getting stopped by well-meaning strangers telling me the match had been postponed - must have had to explain ten times that I already knew!

In those days people recognised the kit, as we were nearly everyone's second team.