hands in pockets

bigfin i respect what you say on here mate ive read your posts,but things will come good again,it goes round in a big circle the economy,why do you think tta are still here? their sat on a load of profit there not daft mate.

Profit, I'm not so sure about I think the best they will do is break even, (other people might make money though). However in these strange financial times breaking even is good, imagine if they had all the money they've put into Latics invested in any number of companies that have gone bust (or lost a large % of their value) they would be less well off.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is anyone on here actually feeling this financial crisis?

has anyone lost there job?

or know anyone who is/has?

Absolutely I am.

For the last few weeks we have had one or two days worth of work for which a few months ago would have been a 24/7 operation. It is actually getting worse, next week so far we have 7 hours worth of work purely because our customers have no orders.

I am a planner and controller on not a bad wage and spent all day today with a brush in my hand cleaning the factory as there is that little real work to do. You can get a kid to do that on minimum wage.

Those on high in Germany have said enough is enough, they have already cut their mainland Europe operations down to 3 days a week from 7, we are next and we have cut everything to the bone. Next step is redundancies.

I am cutting my cloth so tightly that I consider even travel to BP is a choice I don't want to make despite the fact I have a season ticket.

I just can't afford to spend the extra few quid to get there at the minute. I have a mortgage and debts to look after first, have just got married and not yet moved in together because we are both feeling the pinch and can't get a sale on either house.

Whilst Latics are really important to me, bricks and mortar are far exceeding that want.

KtF,

Derek.

Edit to add that I am still owed a months wage, and am not the only one, because the UK arm of the company has no liquidity. We buy in Euros and sell in pounds, the last few months have been a nightmare. Projected losses this year on exchange rate alone are a million quid.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

I lost my job earlier this year but have found a new one recently which will allow me to go to Posh Crewe and hudds attendences are always at their lowest at this time of year mainly because of the weather and secondly its just before christmas so people are putting money a side for that.

I think the effect of the credit crunch are only just starting to effect the real economy and will have a bigger effect on peoples employment next year and possibly going into 2010 but by the end of that year we it should start to turn better and thats when the ground redevelopment will begin IMO of course.

2 people I know lost their jobs. One down south - one in manchester. One is a latics fan.

Quite a few of my workmates are at risk of redundancy. Tough times ahead, and tough to remain impartial as well. My job's safe... for now. You never know what's around the corner, do you?

God knows the next Latics game I'll be able to make it to.

My job is safer than houses for the next 4.5 years, but the terms and conditions are accordingly crap. I'm looking elsewhere, it's one of those chances you have to make a call on every once in a while. It will take a while for the job losses currently happening to work through. Several hundred thousand bankers not paying tax bills and spending huge amounts of money will feed back in all sorts of unforeseen ways.

18 quid in advance this weekend for me an 5 other lads the same,my mrs an my mam an dad goin as always,ive bought a book from latics for them for xmas an im getting a new away top off them, get spending you lot an stop trying to get cheap ticket prices out of the club? they need your dough more than ever or cut back on something else.

do you have any idea about financial responsibillities , times are hard for most and 18-20 quid to go and watch latics is riddiculous . I had been a season ticket holder for 12 years and this is the first time i'v been priced out of going. I love latics and it kills me to miss the games but if you'v not got the £ ,you cant go. It would be nice to see some help from the club in this time of financial strugle. You will notice a difference in the crowd for the leyton orient game because those prices are reasonable. And why they cant drop the prices altogether and boost the crowd is beyond me. They would rather see us play infont of 3500 fans and get their 20 a head , the way i see it is 3500 fans paying 20quid is about £70000, But 4500 paying 15 is £67500, thats only a loss of 2500 and that is not a high price to pay to get the fans back through the gates.

Absolutely I am.

For the last few weeks we have had one or two days worth of work for which a few months ago would have been a 24/7 operation. It is actually getting worse, next week so far we have 7 hours worth of work purely because our customers have no orders.

I am a planner and controller on not a bad wage and spent all day today with a brush in my hand cleaning the factory as there is that little real work to do. You can get a kid to do that on minimum wage.

Those on high in Germany have said enough is enough, they have already cut their mainland Europe operations down to 3 days a week from 7, we are next and we have cut everything to the bone. Next step is redundancies.

I am cutting my cloth so tightly that I consider even travel to BP is a choice I don't want to make despite the fact I have a season ticket.

I just can't afford to spend the extra few quid to get there at the minute. I have a mortgage and debts to look after first, have just got married and not yet moved in together because we are both feeling the pinch and can't get a sale on either house.

Whilst Latics are really important to me, bricks and mortar are far exceeding that want.

KtF,

Derek.

Edit to add that I am still owed a months wage, and am not the only one, because the UK arm of the company has no liquidity. We buy in Euros and sell in pounds, the last few months have been a nightmare. Projected losses this year on exchange rate alone are a million quid.

Derek, I wouldn't worry. The government has got it all sorted out mate.

They have cut 2.5% off the VAT, so if you continue to SPEND £150 a week, you should actually SAVE enough money to pay your share of the minibus :lol:

Seriously though, some of the lads have been driving of late - less money in fares, less money on drink, more lurve from the missus - so let me know if you are after a lift and I am sure we can sort something (not from Leeds though). :wink:

mark do you not think though that latics in uncertain times have a bigger pull than ever just to get away from it all for 90 mins

TBH the OASIS lads and Bigfin etc must spend a fortune every season getting to BP as often as they do, not to mention the time spent travelling aswell.

If I lived in Bristol or London I don't think I'd get to BP anywhere near as often as the lads on here do.

I work for a Quarring company and I look after the sales accounts for several large Merchants in the NW.

So far this month (DEC) I have had 4 companies stop trading and go into administration owing us tens of thousands.

The present climiate is crap, nothing really is being built so from the people like us who make the materials to build the foundations to the carpenters who finish off the projects any work is hard to find.

One of my best mates for over 22 years last week lost his Business, a Business that he and his dad has working very hard over that period of time to build up. The reality is that people cant afford to buy and do what they did a year ago or even 6 months ago.

2009 is going to be difficult for EVERYONE .. with the exception of Jonathon Ross :unsure:

bigfin i respect what you say on here mate ive read your posts,but things will come good again,it goes round in a big circle the economy,why do you think tta are still here? their sat on a load of profit there not daft mate.

Thats ok mate, just had an interesting day a work - in my role I have a lot of direct contact with those who have recently been mde redundant, its not a pretty world out there at the moment, and I speak to a lot of people every day who's lives have been ripped to shreds recently...

Of course the econmomy is cyclical - however unfortunately we have not hit the worst of it yet, I speak to a lot of managing directors and HR directors whom are just getting to christmas, then the order book dries up - there are going to be a lot of hard conversations in the new year. So far, we have predominantly seen the banks and big businesses make cuts, frequently (especially with the housebuilders) using the 'credit crunch' as a cover for bad management and radically overstretching themselves, and seeing a way out with an excuse. After christmas a lot of the smaller businesses that have been trying so hard to survive will go to the wall, unless something radical happens in the lending and utilities pricing... and even then it will be 6-12 months before public spending returns.

Every person on this board will get to latics as much as possible, to even log in on here means you love the club - whether your situation/means results in you going once a season or 46 times a season... however I'm sure for us all that number is being reduced for everyone at this moment... for the first time ever I have asked for Crewe and Hudds tickets for xmas, otherwise I probably wouldnt have been going as december is so tight.

Edited by BigfinLatic

I get scoffed at each time I suggest it, but I think the time is now appropriate to change the Club's policy and offer concessions to women aged between 60 and 64 and in receipt of State pensions. The half season tickets at half-price would be ideal for those in that category who cannot afford to attend now after many years of doing so. Every two new half-price attenders at BP will replace one adult who has stopped attending for economic reasons.

I get scoffed at each time I suggest it, but I think the time is now appropriate to change the Club's policy and offer concessions to women aged between 60 and 64 and in receipt of State pensions. The half season tickets at half-price would be ideal for those in that category who cannot afford to attend now after many years of doing so. Every two new half-price attenders at BP will replace one adult who has stopped attending for economic reasons.

I agree...

We have just had 7 laid off,strangely all local people been on short time for a while.Unfortunatly know a lot off others who have been laid off,and of people we do work for closing down and going on 5 hour days and 3 day weeks.

Its all looking very very grim.

Guest sheridans_world

I'm fairly resistant to the overall economic change.

I live with my parents and I work in the public sector.

That said, I still seem to be worse off at the moment. I travel 50 miles a day going to work, so the petrol price a few months ago really hurt, its got better since but I still seem to be a little worse off each month.

I can totally appreciate the situation that other people are in. Latics is a luxury and should be sacrificed before anything else (thats critical!).

Wish Simon Corney knew of these profits he's sitting on JW.... <_<

You rarely need reminding to sit down Diego

I was sat down, with Police blessing, when I was ejected (with other law-abading Latics supporters) unjustly from the pub at Southend for supporting the wrong team. Does anyone care, is anyone sending emails, or lobbying on my behalf about a grave miscarriage of justice? Not so far as I am aware. :disappointed:

not lost my job but feeling the pinch not been to tics since bindippers away as just cant afford it anymore 2 x £18 for me and my lass 2 x £3 for the kids parking pie drinks etc soon mounts up when your on a fixed income and everything is costing more maybe in the new year when i get a pay rise attend regulaly again

tho having said that am going sat lol

I have my season ticket, and if it wasn't for that I don't think I could afford to go to all home games. I'm having to pick and choose away games. I have a Northern Rock mortgage and am in negative equity. My priority is my mortgage. The roof over my head.

My job appears to be secure, but I work for a construction type company and there have been people laid off. Luckily we're more involved with non-domestic construction, so haven't been directly affected yet. But that's not to say it won't come through.

People are just trying to be careful. People have priorities. In normal times Latics would be near the top, but we're in for a struggle so things have to give.