hands in pockets

I get scoffed at each time I suggest it, but I think the time is now appropriate to change the Club's policy and offer concessions to women aged between 60 and 64 and in receipt of State pensions. The half season tickets at half-price would be ideal for those in that category who cannot afford to attend now after many years of doing so. Every two new half-price attenders at BP will replace one adult who has stopped attending for economic reasons.

I sent an email to Alan Hardy on this and here is his reply:

We can fully appreciate that some people are finding it hard to attend games due the current financial situation and we are trying to encourage more to come by helping as much as we like reducing the prices for the Leyton Orient game foe example.

We are also finding it hard financially in keeping up to date with paying the bills. We have been faced with massive rises on the energy bills, far in excess of the rate of inflation.

However back to your request.

I think we would be on sticky ground for two reasons.

The Football League advise us that we must not discriminate on prices between men and women whether they are in receipt of state pension or not.

Secondly, it is always difficult to change things like this in mid season as some will have purchased tickets at the original price and then see prices reduced and then want a refund.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are just trying to be careful. People have priorities. In normal times Latics would be near the top, but we're in for a struggle so things have to give.

Completely agree!

It's all about priorities for most people.

If I didn't have a pass for home games, I wouldn't go to all of them simply because I couldn't afford it. I don't work at the moment so my other half is supporting the family and paying all the bills and that is our priority at the moment, we are lucky in that we are not struggling but I can imagine the mortgage companies faces if we ever said 'sorry we've not paid this month, we spent £80 getting into 2 Latics home games, £20 on pies, £6.00 on programmes and £60 on 2 full kits for the kidlets for Christmas plus the £60 we spent on the away game' :-)

Completely agree!

It's all about priorities for most people.

If I didn't have a pass for home games, I wouldn't go to all of them simply because I couldn't afford it. I don't work at the moment so my other half is supporting the family and paying all the bills and that is our priority at the moment, we are lucky in that we are not struggling but I can imagine the mortgage companies faces if we ever said 'sorry we've not paid this month, we spent £80 getting into 2 Latics home games, £20 on pies, £6.00 on programmes and £60 on 2 full kits for the kidlets for Christmas plus the £60 we spent on the away game' :-)

I know what they'd say - "part timer"

I know what people are saying and I'm not trying to be clever, but a trip to watch Latics at BP does not mean you have to buy a pie, or a drink, or a programme, or a half-time draw ticket, or stuff from the Club Shop. The Club would like you to do that, but with money so tight, maybe the admission money can be scraped together without worrying about the other peripherals. Just treat it as an outing costing £18 plus transport. If that's still too much then you have to give it a miss and concentrate on the real priorities.

I know what people are saying and I'm not trying to be clever, but a trip to watch Latics at BP does not mean you have to buy a pie, or a drink, or a programme, or a half-time draw ticket, or stuff from the Club Shop. The Club would like you to do that, but with money so tight, maybe the admission money can be scraped together without worrying about the other peripherals. Just treat it as an outing costing £18 plus transport. If that's still too much then you have to give it a miss and concentrate on the real priorities.

Some people cant afford or dont feel that it is a necessity. In the current circumstances or not. That's there own prerogative. I dont see why people cant just accept it instead of going on and telling everyone how to spend their hard earned, thinking it's that simple.

Some people think that Latics is everyone only hobbie/luxury or social activity during the week, because it is for them. I do find it funny when people try to take the 'higher than thou' approach.

I know Latics fans who can have a night in town for £20 and get steaming who pick and choose which Latics games they go to. Ask them what they'd rather spend said £20 on and it wouldnt be sitting at BP. Is that any of your business to tell them how you think they should spend their money. Not one bit.

I find it even more hilarious when people tell those who've got bills to pay and having to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads over Latics. How dare they.

Get a grip some of you.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Some people cant afford or dont feel that it is a necessity. In the current circumstances or not. That's there own prerogative. I dont see why people cant just accept it instead of going on and telling everyone how to spend their hard earned, thinking it's that simple.

Some people think that Latics is everyone only hobbie/luxury or social activity during the week, because it is for them. I do find it funny when people try to take the 'higher than thou' approach.

I know Latics fans who can have a night in town for £20 and get steaming who pick and choose which Latics games they go to. Ask them what they'd rather spend said £20 on and it wouldnt be sitting at BP. Is that any of your business to tell them how you think they should spend their money. Not one bit.

I find it even more hilarious when people tell those who've got bills to pay and having to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads over Latics. How dare they.

Get a grip some of you.

Harsh to link your post to mine.

Some people cant afford or dont feel that it is a necessity. In the current circumstances or not. That's there own prerogative.

Fair enough - they are a lost cause for TTA. Times are very hard and everyone, including TTA, accepts the situation.

I dont see why people cant just accept it instead of going on and telling everyone how to spend their hard earned, thinking it's that simple.

People on here are explaining their financial difficulties and others are joining in the discussion. I was pointing out how to make savings when attending BP, not saying attend BP instead of meeting your financial resposibilities.

Some people try to encourage others to support a failing Club in the interest of (a) getting behind the team towards the goal of promotion and (B) stopping the Club from disappearing altogether.

It's TTA's business and they keep putting ideas forward for discussion on this official message board, to encourage those absent Latics fans to return to BP.

If you're saying some OWTB members tell Latics supporters to put the Club before their personal responsiblities, please point us to those who have said that.

Get a grip some of you.

Did you mean me?

As you linked your post to mine I've added my comments.

If they get Hollands in, I might buy one of those and sit on Sheepfoot Lane for a couple of hours on Saturday

Agreed... those up north just don't know how lucky they are to have the option to actually go out and buy a Hollands pie!!!

Some of us would walk through a pack of wild Millwall thungs baying for the blood of a Northern B''tard to get one ....

Agreed... those up north just don't know how lucky they are to have the option to actually go out and buy a Hollands pie!!!

Some of us would walk through a pack of wild Millwall thungs baying for the blood of a Northern B''tard to get one ....

They're available in all good supermarkets.

P.S. Or am I thinking or Latics players?

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

well ive read everyones posts an it makes for interesting reading,if we spread the 18 pound cost over 2 weeks because thats roughly works out every other sat its a home game its not much to find really, an for those of you really struggling to find that money then my heart goes out to you,you really are hurting financially at the mo,but i know one thing this club is ours really the fans own it an if we win promotion next may the whole town will be lifted an that feel good factor will last all summer,forget about the economy because there aint much we can do about it im afraid an all the stayaways can do just that in my book i dont want them there

well ive read everyones posts an it makes for interesting reading,if we spread the 18 pound cost over 2 weeks because thats roughly works out every other sat its a home game its not much to find really, an for those of you really struggling to find that money then my heart goes out to you,you really are hurting financially at the mo,but i know one thing this club is ours really the fans own it an if we win promotion next may the whole town will be lifted an that feel good factor will last all summer,forget about the economy because there aint much we can do about it im afraid an all the stayaways can do just that in my book i dont want them there

Do you think Simon Corney will think that I think he would be more than happy to welcome back a whole host of stayaways he has to pick up the tab for the clubs losses.

We are in no position to turn down any fans no matter if they are fair weather types its better having people turn up for just the big games than not at all.

Do you think Simon Corney will think that I think he would be more than happy to welcome back a whole host of stayaways he has to pick up the tab for the clubs losses.

We are in no position to turn down any fans no matter if they are fair weather types its better having people turn up for just the big games than not at all.

It's been said time and time again - it's the very people who don't go all the time, and maybe never will, that we have to attract.

glossoplatic im thinking 6000 home fans mate,im on about the people who simply never go, if we do go up then thats about right for a club our size coupled with a good away following in the championship we,ll average about 8500 an thats the answer everyones happy, i just hope so much it happens but i,ll still be there if it doesnt.

glossoplatic im thinking 6000 home fans mate,im on about the people who simply never go, if we do go up then thats about right for a club our size coupled with a good away following in the championship we,ll average about 8500 an thats the answer everyones happy, i just hope so much it happens but i,ll still be there if it doesnt.

I will be there if we don't get to the championship also. The point I was making is that its better to have people that come to say 5 big games a season rather than those same people don't go at all. The challenge ofcourse as LL points out is for those who don't come regulalrly to become regulars which is not an easy thing at all. More stayaways become regulars and our path to the Championship becomes easier.

This has been misquoted so much, wasn't it:

"Someone said 'football is more important than life and death to you' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'."

It's still bollocks.

isn't the whole point with this that it was said tongue in cheek but has been misrepresented in the press (now there's a surprise) over many years? Sort of a footballing 'play it again Sam'