another opportunity lost...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am happy with 1-1 today Brighton are in a false position.

lets be honest would we have scored if we hadnt got the penalty???

there keeper even rhough he was a time wasting to$$er pulled off a string of fine saves to deny our strikers...

when the other team go a man down its the golden rule you put 2 players out wide and splay the ball around to tire them out then pounce when the oppertunity arises...far too many sideways passes and no real urgency from some players....

thought brighton deserved a point,once down to ten men they didnt crumble they took the game to us and it was always at the back of my mind they could nick one at any point...

thought ogrady did well at winning balls and holding up...but again we resorted to pumping long high balls upfield....but when we passed it across the floor on 4 or 5 occasions we beat them everytime.....

The liner on the mainstand side wouldnt give us anything. at all. There was a second penalty claim where their player hacked down ogrady, but he wasnt giving it - awful decision. The FA should also pass a new bill whereby each official has to learn the offside rule. mad.

The ref was a shocker! Not in a match changing kinda way, but just so poor.

As for Latics, a lot of the football was ok, but that Brighton defence was full of holes and we failed to put the ball through them.

The Taylor/Jones link should have been used so much more after the red card. Why wasn't it?

Liddell coming off? Well if he's tired, fine. What's the attacking option that's going to break down 10 men? Was Lomax told to 'bomb on' down the gap on the right? Didn't look like it.

10 points out of 12 is fine.

Convincing it isn't.

The ref was a shocker! Not in a match changing kinda way, but just so poor.

As for Latics, a lot of the football was ok, but that Brighton defence was full of holes and we failed to put the ball through them.

The Taylor/Jones link should have been used so much more after the red card. Why wasn't it?

Liddell coming off? Well if he's tired, fine. What's the attacking option that's going to break down 10 men? Was Lomax told to 'bomb on' down the gap on the right? Didn't look like it.

10 points out of 12 is fine.

Convincing it isn't.

they should of seen how it went for 10 mins then bring allessandra on for whittacker..and go for it with three strikers.liddel was finding a lot of space yet nobody was running into gaps to break them down...10 men will always defend well when you just fire in high ball after high ball with not a lot of accuracy...

Crossley - decent game - not sure why Gregan gave him an earful for the goal.

Lomax - okay game, doesn't look comfortable supporting Liddell.

Jones - didn't work that left flank well enough with Taylor, even though they lost a man on that side of the pitch.

Hazell - probably best Latics player on the pitch without having to do much.

Gregan - will give him the benefit of the doubt on the goal - looked like a slightly unfortunate bounce.

Taylor - didn't look as interest as usual. Despite that won the penalty (why were they arguing over that?) and hit two decent efforts that were beaten away by the keeper.

Allott - better game defensively, but rarely seemed to pick out the right pass going forwards ... not giving the ball away, just choosing the wrong player.

Whitaker - looked good on the ball, but had a nightmare passing game.

Liddell - decent game and cool penalty.

O'Grady - nice touches, looked promising, not sure how he will fit in alongside Hughes though. Still prefer Alessandra.

Hughes - awkward as ever, but poor service today. Made all the right runs and rarely received the right pass. Arse of a booking - a red card for Virgo may have happened if Hughes had kept away.

Edited by opinions4u

I thought Taylor was pretty much his usual self - always the biggest threat. O'Grady was magnificant in my opinion, fullstop. Lomax was :censored:e - too many of his trademark 'here ya go keeper' floated crosses and no willingness to bomb on and attack (which is all he is good at!). Eardley next week please.

Was a good game first half. The red card at the start of the second ruined it. Disapointing, frustrating, cold afternoon.

1-1 against 10 men then swaps Maher for Liddell??

That bemused me as well. I don't think Maher did much wrong but that particular reshuffle was not what sprung to mind when we were struggling to break down a team with 10 men.

As somebody else said, against 10 men you want to play with plenty of width and stretch them, especialy if they go 3 across the middle which is what Brighton did until late on, so to move move a central midfield player (Whitaker) on to the wing did seem strange.

It's a pity Smalley wasn't on the bench because pace out wide is even more valuable than normal against 10 men and that would have been a useful change to make at that stage.

One of our strengths this season with the bigger squad is that we've often had players on the bench that you felt could change a game but it occured to me when I saw the team that we lacked any real impact players amongst the subs today. They are all decent players, it's not their ability that concerned me, but none of them are really the kind of player that you look at and think well I could bring him on and he'd give Brighton a different type of problem to deal with. If you've got a big muscular fella or somebody with bags of pace or whatever then you can see how they might force Brighton to adapt the way in which they are defending thus altering the pattern of the game. Just look at the impact O'Grady's physical presence had against Walsall. But the lads we had on the bench today didn't really offer anything like that.

I'm surprised therefore that neither Smalley nor Byfield were named amongst the subs because they both offer you an injection of pace, one from a wide area and one through the middle and as much as I think Alessandra and Maher are good players I'd much rather have been able to bring Smalley or Byfield on in that last 25/30 minutes.

I can appreciate that you need to try to cover all positions in case of injury hence why you might want Maher there as cover for Allott and Whitaker but did we really need 2 defenders on there?

I don't want to be too critical of today's performance because we won't be only team chasing promotion this season that dominates a home game and fails to break their opponents down and at least we still got a point, in many a season gone by it would have been an equaliser we were chasing in those circumstances rather than a winner and if you get a point the majority of times youd don't play well you'll have a good season.

But if we are going to be up there this season we'll have to get used to teams coming here and playing the way Brighton and Cheltenham did in the 2nd half of those games and we'll have to find a way of combating that and I think better use of the bench could be one such tool.

I'm surprised therefore that neither Smalley nor Byfield were named amongst the subs because they both offer you an injection of pace, one from a wide area and one through the middle and as much as I think Alessandra and Maher are good players I'd much rather have been able to bring Smalley or Byfield on in that last 25/30 minutes.

As has been said, Byfield was out injures with a the infamous toe stubbing incident, whilst swinging his daughter around the living room. Just another brilliant example of our luck with loan signings.... i'd only assume Smalley was out injured. I dont think Shez would play without the natural 60 minute replacement for lids.

You are right, we lacked any sort of impact player today. I'm still dubious about Whits. Starting to think Maher is the starter, and the impact player is exactly his role. Alesandra on his own wont turn a game, but throwing him and whits on together would.

... as has been said, add it to the long list of mediocre home performances. Looking forward to peterboro again when the real latics may turn up.

Shez still hasnt cracked his tactics against this type of team... two and a half years and counting...

Guest sheridans_world
two and a half years and counting....... ?

Shocking game today. Why oh why did Shez wait until the 86th minute to bring Alessandra on? They were down to ten men for 42 minutes! We should be winning games like today. Unfortunatley, not enough were at the races, Gregan, Maher and Whits did themselves no favours today. Everyone else was barley mediocre apart from O'Grady and Taylor.

I thought O'Grady, who hasnt had a run in this team yet, played well. He is a good strong centre forward and a compliment to the team. Taylor, wish the lad could get a goal, he has traded his six yard boots for a pair of shooting boots this season and he tested their keeper at least twice today. Either of which could have gone in.

Anyway, not saying too much, just hope Shez sorts it out before he finds himself in trouble. As he said on GMR '6th and 6 points off the top at half-way aint bad'. I say, correct, but unless you want to win three playoff games, I'd get the team in shape. Two points dropped rather than one point gained.

Anyway, not saying too much, just hope Shez sorts it out before he finds himself in trouble. As he said on GMR '6th and 6 points off the top at half-way aint bad'. I say, correct, but unless you want to win three playoff games, I'd get the team in shape. Two points dropped rather than one point gained.

Is that what he said? Oops, sounds slightly defeatist to me.... sure the TTA will be loving that we are aiming for 'aint bad... also, thought the leage was 46 games... still a few to go John... and we still havent figured out how to beat mediocre teams at home (lets be honest - we could have lost to walsall too)... Leyton orient and the toothless carlisle will be licking their lips.

Also... the way leicester are playing... think we are going to be far further than 6 points away from the top very soon...

Ah well, as john has said, 10 points from the last 4 "aint bad" ... and looking forward to Posh, seems to be the type of game we enjoy. However, the locals will be getting restless again soon enough with results like that..

The second spot in this league is utterly up for grabs. However the other teams around us have the ability to beat crap teams at home. Sod this false position for brighton lark... they have lost thier last 4. Should have been 5.

Edited by BigfinLatic

As has been said, Byfield was out injures with a the infamous toe stubbing incident, whilst swinging his daughter around the living room. Just another brilliant example of our luck with loan signings.... i'd only assume Smalley was out injured. I dont think Shez would play without the natural 60 minute replacement for lids.

I see, I hadn't heard about the Byfield toe incident.

Smalley was fit again though wasn't he? Official site said a while ago that he was back in full training and he played 90 minutes for the reserves in midweek. Unless he's "done a Byfield" it sounds like he was just left out.

Another oppertunity lost and another shocking ref. Their 23 should have gone in the first half for the challenge on hughes and we should have had a second penelty which the ref just refused to give when O Grady was tripped from behind. Moments later he gives a free kick for a tackle from behind against Hazell who won the ball!!!!!

Shocking game today. Why oh why did Shez wait until the 86th minute to bring Alessandra on? They were down to ten men for 42 minutes! We should be winning games like today. Unfortunatley, not enough were at the races, Gregan, Maher and Whits did themselves no favours today. Everyone else was barley mediocre apart from O'Grady and Taylor.

I thought O'Grady, who hasnt had a run in this team yet, played well. He is a good strong centre forward and a compliment to the team. Taylor, wish the lad could get a goal, he has traded his six yard boots for a pair of shooting boots this season and he tested their keeper at least twice today. Either of which could have gone in.

Shocking game..really?

Should be winning games like today..why?

I thought the same as most about Mahers substitution when it was made, however after 5 minutes of him being on imo it was more than justified. The first 15 minutes of the second half (not for the 1st time this season and more than likely not the last), we were so overun in midfield. Whitts doesn't have enough quality to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and the balls, generally from Lomax, Greags and Jones were not good enough or short enough, playing a 50 yard ball up to a centre forward whose midfield is 30 yards off him is absolutely baffling! yet we continued to do it.

Saying that, we got a point, didn't get beat by a poor side, who won't be far off relegation imo and we are still "up there"

Are we good enough to go up/stay up...doubt it.