So Hughes' petulance shows he cares

ok how about this one.

I'm from a certain generation of Latics fan that was lucky enough to see players such as Andy Ritchie, Tommy Wright, Frank Bunn, Ian Marshall etc... on a weekly basis - these guys would get kicked all over the park, week in week out. However, I cannot remember one instance of any of these guys getting involved after they'd been clattered or a team mate had especially after the ref had already given the decision our way, This is why these guys are held in such high-regard 15-20 years after they stopped playing for us - payback for them was to let their football do the talking and invariably it did.

Hughes on the other hand will be remembered as the guy who was given a second chance by the club, played a few games, scored a few goals - spent a fair bit of time out injured and embarassed the club on a weekly basis by his brainless inability to stop himself getting involved in things that frankly have no concern to him. What is even more embarassing is some fans inability to see what a liability this guy has becoming. Craig Davies was hounded out for less...

theres that word again. the use of one word has relegated your thread to the status of brainless post. it will prevent people from responding concisely, on an issue you clearly wish to discuss.

Would that word be 'Liability' by any chance?

ok how about this one.

I'm from a certain generation of Latics fan that was lucky enough to see players such as Andy Ritchie, Tommy Wright, Frank Bunn, Ian Marshall etc... on a weekly basis - these guys would get kicked all over the park, week in week out. However, I cannot remember one instance of any of these guys getting involved after they'd been clattered or a team mate had especially after the ref had already given the decision our way, This is why these guys are held in such high-regard 15-20 years after they stopped playing for us - payback for them was to let their football do the talking and invariably it did.

Hughes on the other hand will be remembered as the guy who was given a second chance by the club, played a few games, scored a few goals - spent a fair bit of time out injured and embarassed the club on a weekly basis by his brainless inability to stop himself getting involved in things that frankly have no concern to him. What is even more embarassing is some fans inability to see what a liability this guy has becoming. Craig Davies was hounded out for less...

Ok, Ok, we hear you... however i'm sorry, if you think football players are the same as those that played in that golden 'era then you are sadly wrong. the late 80s/90s were a time when the big money hadnt quite filtered through the game.... and all players played like they genuinely cared.... i'm sorry, but what Hughes does is nothing compared to what the greedy league superstars to every week, and get away with it time an time again.

I'm sorry, I cant believe in any way shape or form that Hughes is becoming a liability, or in any way is embarrassing this club. I think the inability to see what hughes does for this team goes as strongly both ways to both the people that think he is great, and those who thinks he is satan.

Possibly me and you are at polar ends at that camp - however I do accept that he has moments of stupidity, but no more than a lot of other players at this level and he is a target in this league... and I'd also hope that you could see what he does for the team on the pitch, and the fact he has probably won us 15-20 points this season on his own contribution to the team,

Liability? I'm sorry, just plain ridiculous... troubled, needs to control himself more - yes, The best football player we have in the team - again, definitely yes.

Edited by BigfinLatic

ok how about this one.

Half way through the season ... how many matches has he missed injured this year ? Someone of his age, out of the game for three years was always prone to pick up the types of injuries he's had.

Embarassment for the club, nope the opposite for me. I believe he has been professional through-out, keep himself out of trouble off the field, on the field dealt with a lot of rubbish ............ he his the major target for all opposition fans, players and frankly refs decisions at times.

The refs at this level just don't have the experience to dealt with a player without the standard third tier players brain .......... you watch the relationship with him and the ref when we have one of the top dogs taking the game. He behaves like any other top championship and premiership striker does in ever game and never even get spoken to ......... this is his mindset.

Yep he's picked up a few silly yellows by showing his annoyance to decisions, that he knows was wrong.

Andy Ritchie, Tommy Wright, Frank Bunn, Ian Marshall never involved ... get a grip!!! This is going back over twenty years ago .......... why do you think this respect campaign is all about today. Expected behaviour twenty years ago is a long way from what happens today and just cannot be compared.

Yesterday I was told he got invloved to protect a fellow team mate ....... twice he got taken out late and hit into the ad boards, how did he react to that ?

He's better than this league, he knows it and it's starting to show. All the talk about moving NY will effect him, it will probally be his last contract and he needs to make sure its the rgiht one.

Ok, Ok, we hear you... however i'm sorry, if you think football players are the same as those that played in that golden 'era then you are sadly wrong. the late 80s/90s were a time when the big money hadnt quite filtered through the game.... and all players played like they genuinely cared.... i'm sorry, but what Hughes does is nothing compared to what the greedy league superstars to every week, and get away with it time an time again.

I'm sorry, I cant believe in any way shape or form that Hughes is becoming a liability, or in any way is embarrassing this club. I think the inability to see what hughes does for this team goes as strongly both ways to both the people that think he is great, and those who thinks he is satan.

Possibly me and you are at polar ends at that camp - however I do accept that he has moments of stupidity, but no more than a lot of other players at this level and he is a target in this league... and I'd also hope that you could see what he does for the team on the pitch, and the fact he has probably won us 15-20 points this season on his own contribution to the team,

Liability? I'm sorry, just plain ridiculous... troubled, needs to control himself more - yes, The best football player we have in the team - again, definitely yes.

I've stated this before myself, that imo hughes is the best striker we have had since Ritchie, though his frustration grew as the game went on yesterday, due to a number of things.

1. He received bugger all from the officials - bar waved away protests.

2. He was flagged for offside on at least 3 occasions, that were, let's say "vey close"

3. The service into him was gash!

4. Bundled into the boards (albeit, he did try and make more of it), then resulting in a 10 minute slanging match with their bench, led by their manager

Sometimes, Hughes make little darts/runs around the penalty area that are rarley found by a teammate, he knows his brain is still as good as when he scored so many in years gone by - yet he is playing at a level, where the guys he is playing with are not up to that standard.....very frustrating.

What is even more embarassing is some fans inability to see what a liability this guy has becoming. Craig Davies was hounded out for less...

Normally agree with you wholeheartedly Prozac. But hey, I'll if he's a liability that means he usually costs us points.

Let's face it, we wouldn't have picked up winning points against Northampton, Walsall, Southend... without him.

In any case, I feel he's off in January anyway.

Absolutely the one thing we should do something about.

his bookings are for silly things....but if you take that out of him he loses what he brings to the team...defenders know if they give him an inch he will turn and more often than not work the keeper or score....

chris ogrady put himself about yesterday and did some good work with holding and flick ons,but he isnt the type of striker to play off hughes...allessandra is his partner and it shows when there not on together from the start,hughes is teaching him where to position himself to mop up so to speak..

he isnt a liability and if we do cash in in january and stay down,it will prove how wrong people are for saying get rid hes gash etc etc etc..

if the rest of the team play the ball on the floor instead of mindless wayward thumping it up from the back hughes would be getting near fryatts tally..sadly we arent and he isnt....

ok how about this one.

I fully agree with what your saying. Dicipline starts at the top ie. managers and coaches, and if they allow their players to do what they want on the field, then dicipline and sportsmanship ain't going to improve.

These days people seem to say, " That's the way it is now so we'll just put up with it. "

It doesn't have to be like that..just look at rugby union for example where players don't argue with the referee at all....they just accept the decision and get on with the game!!

These guys are paid a small fortune to compete in the sport they love, the least you should expect from them is that they are good role models for the kids that come to watch.

Didn't go to the game due to work...what was he booked for yesterday?

I fully agree with what your saying. Dicipline starts at the top ie. managers and coaches, and if they allow their players to do what they want on the field, then dicipline and sportsmanship ain't going to improve.

These days people seem to say, " That's the way it is now so we'll just put up with it. "

It doesn't have to be like that..just look at rugby union for example where players don't argue with the referee at all....they just accept the decision and get on with the game!!

These guys are paid a small fortune to compete in the sport they love, the least you should expect from them is that they are good role models for the kids that come to watch.

Didn't go to the game due to work...what was he booked for yesterday?

Taylor was brought down for a cast-iron pen. Virgo has a bit of an altercation with Taylor, ref already given the pen. hughes runs 15-20 yards to get involved with the keeper, raises his hands and pushes the keeper = another needless booking from our so called talisman.

I lnow many hold him in very high regard and that's up to them, what I am worried about is that Hughes is a ticking timebomb a real accident waiting to happen. I hope i'm proved wrong but I don't think I will be.

Edited by oafcprozac

Taylor was brought down for a cast-iron pen. Virgo has a bit of an altercation with Taylor, ref already given the pen. hughes runs 15-20 yards to get involved with the keeper, raises his hands and pushes the keeper = another needless booking from our so called talisman.

I lnow many hold him in very high regard and that's up to them, what I am worried about is that Hughes is a ticking timebomb a real accident waiting to happen. I hope i'm proved wrong but I don't think I will be.

Sticking up for his team mates he's entitled to do that and I would expect our lads to look after each other on the pitch they are a team and win and lose together. If you think he is a liability then I would dread to think what you would have thought about their 22 yesterday who got sent off as IMO he was the definition of the word liability he was determind to be the first in the showers yesterday and succeeded.

I don't think his petulance shows he cares, it's the determination to succeed he displays when he's actually playing football that makes me think he cares. His petulance is just a liability and he and OAFC would be better served if he cuts it out. I'm not holding my breath though!

To be fair I think his history draws attention to him and turns some (not all) of the things he does in to a big deal when they would be largely skimmed over it was another player doing the same thing, but that's just all the more reason not to get involved and he needs to cut it out.

I know it's difficult to change somebody who is naturally confrontational but he's got to make more effort than he is doing at present because his unnecessary suspensions have already cost us dear and we don't want any more. But as I say, I'm not holding my breath.

... he's got to make more effort than he is doing at present because his unnecessary suspensions have already cost us dear and we don't want any more. But as I say, I'm not holding my breath.

1. Given the frequency of his avoidable bookings, it's inevitable that our hero will be suspended again for at least one more period this season.

2. Given his importance to the team, not only in scoring goals and in assists, but also in his skill, experience and determination, it's very probable that his absence will prove costly.

3. As the bookings in 1 are avoidable, the ability and responsibility to stop 2 happening rests with our hero.

HUGHESYYYYYYY!

a couple of things on this thread I have issue with - hughes seemed to be supporting taylor against a lad that was throwing his weight around against one of our slighter players. The keeper then exacerbated the situation. Virgo had lost his head at this point and Hughesy wound him up. However 20 mins later they made their peace and were laughing. Hughesy in that 20 mins stood up to a physical battering, won a couple of free kicks and didn't react at all.

The next thing I have an issue with re our heros of yesteryear being compared - is this the same Ian Marshall(a player I loved btw)that gave the v's to the everton fans in the cup replay? Looking back further shall we look at the hero that is Roger who had some questionable smoking habits, was that ok then as he didn't get booked for it though I can't remember if the FL suspended him.

My point is that players through the years have consistently been booked for stupid things including dissent and have had all manner of things going on in the background - lets not kid ourselves about the glory days and the not so glorious days before them. Its a game where emotions and adrenalin run high and sometimes players as we all do in certain situations react in ways we normally wouldn't. Everyone has different tolerance levels to this at different times

Those that point the finger should maybe reflect on their own experience and see if they can identify a moment when they have reacted to something they took exception to and maybe reacted in a less than calm manner(raising your voice counts btw).

If you can't identify a moment like I describe then fair enough(though personally I don't believe you). I have to say there's not many people I know that have never got annoyed and reacted badly to an event that has affected them either directly or indirectly.

Great football innit. How other people view the same incidents completely different. Never a penalty, looked like a complete dive yesterday and confirmed what I saw on the Championship this morning. Taylor well and truly conned the ref, but hey! I'll take that!

I get the feeling you're just trying to prime yourself for a "I told you so" moment somewhere down the line regs to Hughes. No?

all the players from yesteryear could have got involved like hughes did yesterday in the early nineties (defending a team mate) and a card would not have been produced, the game has changed a lot and to compare them is stupid.

a bit like when i was 11 and heard a star player and one of my all time faves use a racist slur towards a black linesman coz he didnt get a throw in

or warhurst handball in the cup final on the halfway line to stop jemson going through...straight red, not then...not even a talking to....check the videos

..... nothing was done or even mentioned....times change.

Edited by palmer1

a couple of things on this thread I have issue with - hughes seemed to be supporting taylor against a lad that was throwing his weight around against one of our slighter players. The keeper then exacerbated the situation. Virgo had lost his head at this point and Hughesy wound him up. However 20 mins later they made their peace and were laughing. Hughesy in that 20 mins stood up to a physical battering, won a couple of free kicks and didn't react at all.

The next thing I have an issue with re our heros of yesteryear being compared - is this the same Ian Marshall(a player I loved btw)that gave the v's to the everton fans in the cup replay? Looking back further shall we look at the hero that is Roger who had some questionable smoking habits, was that ok then as he didn't get booked for it though I can't remember if the FL suspended him.

My point is that players through the years have consistently been booked for stupid things including dissent and have had all manner of things going on in the background - lets not kid ourselves about the glory days and the not so glorious days before them. Its a game where emotions and adrenalin run high and sometimes players as we all do in certain situations react in ways we normally wouldn't. Everyone has different tolerance levels to this at different times

Those that point the finger should maybe reflect on their own experience and see if they can identify a moment when they have reacted to something they took exception to and maybe reacted in a less than calm manner(raising your voice counts btw).

If you can't identify a moment like I describe then fair enough(though personally I don't believe you). I have to say there's not many people I know that have never got annoyed and reacted badly to an event that has affected them either directly or indirectly.

Back in the dodgers days, there weren't many in that team who committed the same type of reckless tackling that he used to do. As well as being very fondly (and rightly so) remembered for his goalscoring exploits, he was pretty well known for his rank bad and at times dirty tackles. Another player who 'quietky' had it has part of his make up. Hughes' plays the game in HIS way and without that, like some have said, we are not the threat that we are with him, that's for sure.

all the players from yesteryear could have got involved like hughes did yesterday in the early nineties (defending a team mate) and a card would not have been produced, the game has changed a lot and to compare them is stupid.

a bit like when i was 11 and heard a star player and one of my all time faves use a racist slur towards a black linesman coz he didnt get a throw in..... nothing was done or even mentioned....times change.

Agreed but adrenalin and sub-conscious reaction may not have

Fair comments...but with Hughesy it's every other week and it's just plain silly!!

Its a game where emotions and adrenalin run high and sometimes players as we all do in certain situations react in ways we normally wouldn't. Everyone has different tolerance levels to this at different times

Yes, but we're not talking about someone who has snapped on the spur of the moment when the red mist has come down. The avoidable bookings to which I referred are those such as blatant handball as a joke; claiming a corner that he knew wasn't one, and then kicking the ball off the pitch; and winding up the ref with acts of dissent.

Rater than uncontrollable moments, I see these as calculated acts of petulance as a dig at authority. Obviously thet gives him some satisfaction but, when they're totted up, they prove costly to the team, his employer and the supporters.

Please cut it out Lee - you're much better than that and we need you on the pitch!

Fair comments...but with Hughesy it's every other week and it's just plain silly!!

Unfortunately recently he has been booked more times than we would like - leicester was well deserved for handball, cheltenham however i believe was contrived, northampton unlucky particularly after seeing on tv(imo), yesterday i have only seen once but at the time thought was harsh(biased fan there - i was reacting to virgo at the time ;-))

I think its obivous that cards are easy to pick up but you have to take the good with the bad with hughes and personally i still think the former far outweighs the latter. His behaviour on the pitch isn't going to change now as despite his enforced employment break the bad bits are still reactive rather than pre-meditated and i think will always be there even when as i suspect he might once he has retired he is playing more for fun than money.