Kelvin Lomax

Lomax has his die hard fans but I really feel that unless he works on his distribution , especially crossing, he detracts rather than adds to the team.

He must have put at least ten balls into the box, all very poor. Lofted, easy to defend. He never seems to drive the ball positively, always on his heels rather than over the ball. By now he's had long enough to get this right. The substitution I'd have made with 30 mins left was to bring Eardley on for him. Brighton were compressing their defence in the middle, giving us more space on the flanks - Lomax got the ball many times but the deilvey was always missing...

Edited by LaticsPete

Lomax has his die hard fans but I really feel that unless he works on his distribution , especially crossing, he detracts rather than adds to the team.

He must have put at least ten balls into the box, all very poor. Lofted, easy to defend. He never seems to drive the ball positively, always on his heels rather than over the ball. By now he's had long enough to get this right. The substitution I'd have made with 30 mins left was to bring Eardley on for him. Brighton were compressing their defence in the middle, giving us more space on the flanks - Lomax got the ball many times but the deilvey was always missing...

Lomax dispalys the same weakness' that Eardley has been absolutely slated for, but Lomax is not an international i guess and certainly never likely to be.

Eardley brings far more quality to the team, time to bring him back in i think.

Lomax dispalys the same weakness' that Eardley has been absolutely slated for, but Lomax is not an international i guess and certainly never likely to be.

Eardley brings far more quality to the team, time to bring him back in i think.

yes but in defence or midfield???

i havent got a problem with lomax defending,he is more than capable....so to have a go at his crossing baffles me,yes he lofted them in,but the forwards either went near or far post,just as he was kicking so he has already made his mind up its going into the middle were if a fumble occurs we get a knock down and a chance....

its all well n good somebody firing one in,but if nobody gambles on it then it is a wasted cross...

if you want to have a go at anybody for poor distribution then it has to be whittacker on yesterdays showing.

i havent got a problem with lomax defending,he is more than capable....so to have a go at his crossing baffles me,yes he lofted them in,but the forwards either went near or far post,just as he was kicking so he has already made his mind up its going into the middle were if a fumble occurs we get a knock down and a chance....

its all well n good somebody firing one in,but if nobody gambles on it then it is a wasted cross...

if you want to have a go at anybody for poor distribution then it has to be whittacker on yesterdays showing.

our out ball from centre half is so often to the right back because eardley when playing always demands it .... so to say that our right backs distribution isn't important is baffling - Eardley is far better at everything than Lomax barring Lomax's pace ... and those that say Lomax is better defensively look at wot shez says about Lomax's weakness !!!

Eardley was lambasted by fans left right and centre for his distribution and Lomax's is 10times worse and no-one complains at all b/c he's a "young lad" yet 2yrs eardley's senior !!!!

Get Eardley back in NOW !!!!

Bit difficult to gamble on a ball that either goes straight into the keeper's arms or ten yards behind the touchline...

Edited by garcon

Nowt wrong with the strikers gambling on where the ball is going to go most coaches do tell strikers do that so that they can get a yard on their markers its upto the other players to give them that killer ball.

Read an intterview with Gary Neville recently and he's talking about how the modern full backs are expected to step into midfield and that their distribution is key. Lomax is alright but he needs to do some work on his crosses get them going in with pace and bend and make sure their flat aswell then it only needs a touch towards goal and its in the back of the net.

lomax's distribution was nothing short of diabolical yesterday.

Lomax's passing has been off for at least 5 weeks now, he again failed to regularly find a team mate, and his aimless dinks into the box were very frustrating.

He did defend fairly well though, making a couple of interceptions & tackles.

Don'tget me wrong, i like Kelvin - but i fail to see that he is a better player than Eardley & holding the RB slot on talent & merit. Neal should have been in the side 2-3 weeks ago; when Lomax's passing & positioning were starting to go pear shaped.

Eards back in for this saturday for me.

Also, whilst we're on Full-backs, i thouh Jones had another solid game, to add to that he produced vs Walsall. He seems to getting better at defending (which he needed to do) & is looking a more complete LB than he has done in his earlier games.

The rumour is that Eardley has been sold for a fair amount of cash (obviously to be revealed in Jan) and part of the deal is he doesn't play so he can't be injured.

Now that puts a slightly different angle on it!

I hope 'a fair amount' is the TTA's valuation and not some yorkshire penny pinching chairmans idea! :wink:

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron, Shez says:

“Kelvin is a very intelligent footballer, but is another one who needs to have more belief in himself, something which I think is now gradually coming.

“We know he has to work on the defensive side of his game, but he is doing that well at the moment.

“He is a good passer of the ball and he also has a good touch. He is keeping a very good player in Neal Eardley out of the side.

“He deserves his place in the team because he is playing well — and hopefully he will continue to do so.

“I have to admit, I have unfairly left him out of the side on occasions.

“But he is not the type of lad who will come knocking at my door, asking why he is not playing, which is something I would like him to do.”

“Kelvin is a very intelligent footballer, but is another one who needs to have more belief in himself, something which I think is now gradually coming.

“We know he has to work on the defensive side of his game, but he is doing that well at the moment.

“He is a good passer of the ball and he also has a good touch. He is keeping a very good player in Neal Eardley out of the side.

“He deserves his place in the team because he is playing well — and hopefully he will continue to do so.

“But he is not the type of lad who will come knocking at my door, asking why he is not playing, which is something I would like him to do.”

So basically Shez has a completely opposite opinion of him than us =/

Just a couple of things:

It's not just Lomax, because our flank play when we're not countering is as frustrating - silly, inaccurate long balls because the fullbacks lack confidence for some reason. However, it's even more annoying when I see Liddell do it. I know he doesn't have the legs for it, but his distribution at times is just as bad.

We've never seen Lomax run with the ball which is a shame.

Also, I saw something tactically interesting on Saturday. I think for the first time, a team have come here with an intelligent plan. They played our weakness very, very well. Long balls from the centre to the flanks which exploited our positioning. Lomax/Jones were stuck in no man's land, bringing Gregan and Hazell also out of position - who lack the pace to recover back to the centre - then that little lad would burst forward from his attacking midfield role. Clever stuff because it caused problems all afternoon.

Edited by UpTheLatics

“But he is not the type of lad who will come knocking at my door, asking why he is not playing, which is something I would like him to do.â€

Translation: Bye bye Neal

Edited by Roger Ritchie