My MOM yesterday. Was awesome and deserved more after the effort put in. Looked a right handful and made that ball stick up front. Also, had a stonewall penno turned down after getting his heels clipped in the first half.

Can't see him scoring hatfuls of goals because he just doesn't get into those positions that much. But more than makes up for that in hard graft and physical threat.

Well done him.

should also counteract a lack of gols with a high number of assists

Yep thought he did very well, unfortunate that two heavy touchesonly two bad cost him two clear runs on goal and if the lad had pace he'd be one hell of a different dimension. Said before and said it again, he gives us something different - the abilty to hold the ball up, win headers and generally be a right pain in the arse - especially useful away from home.

My MOM yesterday. Was awesome and deserved more after the effort put in. Looked a right handful and made that ball stick up front. Also, had a stonewall penno turned down after getting his heels clipped in the first half.

Can't see him scoring hatfuls of goals because he just doesn't get into those positions that much. But more than makes up for that in hard graft and physical threat.

Well done him.

Sorry, can't agree with your opinion of MOM.

O'grady is very good at this level of all things outside the box and it is this part of his play that I can see Shez was impressed with when looking to sign him. He holds the ball up well, can bring the midfield into the play, has a decent first touch and is clearly a team player. HOWEVER, he is a front two player and his play, positioning and intuition inside the box is clearly lacking. This leads to one thing! A lack of goals and I'm afraid that this is where forwards are ultimatly judged. He is no Hughes, Davies or even Alesandra in the box. For that reason, of the four, he would always be 4th choice for me, unless we are 1 up in a game and looking to close it down as at Tranpmere.

It's also interesting to note that Alan Knill, who knew him so well from Rotherham, signed him for a month at Bury, because his front two of Hurst and Bishop had started to fire blanks, and during his month at league 2 (division 4) he failed to score or even start all the matches.

If we were to be promoted this season, O'Grady for me would not be good enough for the Championship and would need replacing.

Cheers,

Harry.

O'grady is very good at this level of all things outside the box and it is this part of his play that I can see Shez was impressed with when looking to sign him. He holds the ball up well, can bring the midfield into the play, has a decent first touch and is clearly a team player. HOWEVER, he is a front two player and his play, positioning and intuition inside the box is clearly lacking. This leads to one thing! A lack of goals and I'm afraid that this is where forwards are ultimatly judged. He is no Hughes, Davies or even Alesandra in the box. For that reason, of the four, he would always be 4th choice for me, unless we are 1 up in a game and looking to close it down as at Tranpmere.

It's also interesting to note that Alan Knill, who knew him so well from Rotherham, signed him for a month at Bury, because his front two of Hurst and Bishop had started to fire blanks, and during his month at league 2 (division 4) he failed to score or even start all the matches.

If we were to be promoted this season, O'Grady for me would not be good enough for the Championship and would need replacing.Cheers,

Harry.

Despite us being 6th Harry, I don't think this is a genuine concern. The team is far too inconsistent at the moment and if we do lose a few faces in January i'm afraid mid-table beckons - especially if we continue to underachieve vs the Divisions strugglers. So far we've dropped points against Colchester, HUddersfield, Hartlepool, Swindon, Brizzle, Yeovil and Brighton - all in the bottom half. Ok we've a great record against the top half but its the bread and butter games that get you promoted. 4 points from 21 not good enough i'm afraid. Saturday is a massive game for us a chance to reign in the top 4.....

If Hughes goes, Bishop is someone we should be looking at...

Edited by oafcprozac

Well done him.

Definately J, he's the kind of player we need in this division. Well done COG!

But there's the big debate again! Goal scorer or Work Horse? Because if he's both, you won't find him in division 3! We need the workhorses for this division, we need the players to put it in - the goals will come from somewhere if you work hard enough.

Yesterdays performance in general was a tactical blunder from the men who make the decisions, the lads on the pitch had to work with it - ultimately it nearly completely blew up in our faces.

Definately J, he's the kind of player we need in this division. Well done COG!

But there's the big debate again! Goal scorer or Work Horse? Because if he's both, you won't find him in division 3! We need the workhorses for this division, we need the players to put it in - the goals will come from somewhere if you work hard enough.

Yesterdays performance in general was a tactical blunder from the men who make the decisions, the lads on the pitch had to work with it - ultimately it nearly completely blew up in our faces.

Goalscorer or workhorse? you need both but not necessarily in the same player having a poacher and a bruiser like we had with COG and Hughes yesterday does bring results because their games will complement each other.

This debate about talent or hard work the reality is you need both types of players to get out of this division you need that balance to succeed at every level Heskey has been of great benefit to England since hes come in as like Ogrady he will do the hard graft which benefits the other players.

I've been saying all season, and last, that we were crying out for a big lad up front that would win some headers and hold the ball up. All the talk about O'Grady when he first signed suggested he was exactly that type of player but in the pre-season friendlies and fleeting league appearances he'd made until recently he just didn't look like the that sort of player at all to me. He looked like another one that for the most part wanted to play on the last man and try to get in behind and we already had enough of those (I should qualify that by saying I was told he did more of a hold up job at Tranmere, which is the only game I haven't been to this season).

However yesterday, and when he came off the bench against Walsall, that's exactly the type of player he looked, and he did the job well. I'm not going to get too carried away with one and a bit matches in terms of judging his ability but at least he's shown that he can play that kind of role so at last we do have one at the club which I'm very happy about. I hope he maintains his form.

He's got a bit of pace to go with it as well which never does any harm, although on the downside, and to steal a phrase from Shez, I thought he chose the wrong option too. And whilst appreciating the contradictory sounding nature of this next comment, I thought there were a few occasions when he held on to the ball a bit too long. He'd done his job by making the ball stick but then didn't let go when the easy ball was there to be made. If you could combine his physical presence with Alessandra's craft then..............well we'd never have seen him at this level would we!

On the whole he did well and it's a welcome relief to finally know that we have a player able to perform that function.

If we were to be promoted this season, O'Grady for me would not be good enough for the Championship and would need replacing.

Cheers,

Harry.

100% agree - good summary of his abilities/restrictions

Bloody Hell!!!

Give the lad a chance, he's had a very good game and a half and people are already saying he's not up to the mark.

O'Grady and Hughes have hardly had an opportunity to develop a partnership. Given a couple more games together, they should compliment each other's game better.

agree with most o,grady my m o m aswell won everything in the air and a right handfull, as a team we struggled with just passing the ball to eachother but were up against a very good side in albion thought they looked good.we may look back on this as a point gained but it doesnt feel like it at the mo

agree with most o,grady my m o m aswell won everything in the air and a right handfull, as a team we struggled with just passing the ball to eachother but were up against a very good side in albion thought they looked good.we may look back on this as a point gained but it doesnt feel like it at the mo

the table doesnt say they are a very good side.

O Grady I agree, works hard and seems to give 100% every time I've seen him.

By the way his best game was at Burnley when he started up front on his own.

Unfortunately if your are a forward / striker you need to either score goals or create them and he has done neither with us or with Bury this season.

Hope he starts to prove me wrong but he has all the qualities of a central defender...strong,tall,good in the air and brave.

Career stats prove it - 120 games 18 goals about 1 goal in 10.

O Grady I agree, works hard and seems to give 100% every time I've seen him.

By the way his best game was at Burnley when he started up front on his own.

Unfortunately if your are a forward / striker you need to either score goals or create them and he has done neither with us or with Bury this season.

Hope he starts to prove me wrong but he has all the qualities of a central defender...strong,tall,good in the air and brave.

Career stats prove it - 120 games 18 goals about 1 goal in 10.

But can he tackle?

Hmmmmmmmm. :wink:

masked owl i work in brighton an read there local rag mate an honestly theyve been so unlucky in matches just like us in the few weve had so as weve played ten an lost only once so far we aint doing to badly really are we.why does all the negativity on this message board overtake the good stuff going on.i was in the chaddy freezing my nads off watching that yesterday,but come the return in april when im watching us go up i,ll remember 06.12.08 an smile.

COG, held the ball up excellently. No one could get near him for strength. He does a lot of chasing too putting pressure on defenders when he will never get the ball.

My only problem with his is that he never looks like scoring a goal. I can’t recall ever seeing him have many shots and those he has had have been from bizarre angles and usually end up going over.

What O' Grady lacked on Saturday was close midfield support, Whitaker in particular was very disappointing in this aspect, its no use an attacking midfield player spending much of his time on the half way line with the ball constantly going over his head.