masked owl i work in brighton an read there local rag mate an honestly theyve been so unlucky in matches just like us in the few weve had so as weve played ten an lost only once so far we aint doing to badly really are we.why does all the negativity on this message board overtake the good stuff going on.i was in the chaddy freezing my nads off watching that yesterday,but come the return in april when im watching us go up i,ll remember 06.12.08 an smile.

I wasn't being negative. I just don't think Brighton are a very good side. We should be finishing of teams like that given the circumstances. However, im remaining positive and think we will be up there come the end of the season.

Sorry, can't agree with your opinion of MOM.

O'grady is very good at this level of all things outside the box and it is this part of his play that I can see Shez was impressed with when looking to sign him. He holds the ball up well, can bring the midfield into the play, has a decent first touch and is clearly a team player. HOWEVER, he is a front two player and his play, positioning and intuition inside the box is clearly lacking. This leads to one thing! A lack of goals and I'm afraid that this is where forwards are ultimatly judged. He is no Hughes, Davies or even Alesandra in the box. For that reason, of the four, he would always be 4th choice for me, unless we are 1 up in a game and looking to close it down as at Tranpmere.

It's also interesting to note that Alan Knill, who knew him so well from Rotherham, signed him for a month at Bury, because his front two of Hurst and Bishop had started to fire blanks, and during his month at league 2 (division 4) he failed to score or even start all the matches.

If we were to be promoted this season, O'Grady for me would not be good enough for the Championship and would need replacing.

Cheers,

Harry.

Whilst my post was not intended as a get at COG post, on re-reading I can see why it might be interpreted as such. What I was intending to say was that I can see some of the reasons why Shez liked him enough to sign him, however of our 4 forwards (if you include Davies or Byfield) I believe he is 4th choice, because despite is excellent work upto the edge of the area he looks the least likely to score in that he doesn't do enough in the box.

Shez's comments in tonights rarely wrong back up my line of thinking: -

"Sheridan was pleased with the performance of Chris O'Grady on his return after a loan spell at Bury, but added there is plenty of scope for improvement from the front man.

He said "While Chris worked hard, strikers are judged on the number of attempts they have on goal and I don't think he had any."

"The lad works his socks off and is very honest. I am not trying to put him down but, at the end of the day, it is about scoring goals."

Now I know how I meant to say it.

Cheers,

Harry

Can't see him scoring hatfuls of goals because he just doesn't get into those positions that much. But more than makes up for that in hard graft and physical threat.

We used to have a bloke just like this, who actually did score a few but still wasnt considered good enough. Even got player of season!

Warney anyone?

Warney was a physical threat??? :blink:

Like saying Wolfendens a physical threat init? :lol:

O'Grady. Great to bring on when we're defending a slender lead. Makes the ball stick up top. As many other posters have said he just isn't threatening, I've yet to see him have a shot on target. Good player to have in the squad though.

Brightons front 2 are quality for this division. Forster and Murray. The rest of the team isn't too great though-hence their position. The lad that got sent off probably would have been more use to us on the pitch he was awful. Reminded me of Ian Roper that used to be at Walsall.

Like saying Wolfendens a physical threat init? :lol:

O'Grady. Great to bring on when we're defending a slender lead. Makes the ball stick up top. As many other posters have said he just isn't threatening, I've yet to see him have a shot on target. Good player to have in the squad though.

Brightons front 2 are quality for this division. Forster and Murray. The rest of the team isn't too great though-hence their position. The lad that got sent off probably would have been more use to us on the pitch he was awful. Reminded me of Ian Roper that used to be at Walsall.

Was it Virgo who got sent off for them? My flatmate is a Brighton fan and says hes probably their best player:) Shows how difficult it is to judge players on one game.

Yep thought he did very well, unfortunate that two heavy touchesonly two bad cost him two clear runs on goal and if the lad had pace he'd be one hell of a different dimension. Said before and said it again, he gives us something different - the abilty to hold the ball up, win headers and generally be a right pain in the arse - especially useful away from home.

1) Hire a sprint coach for him, he only needs that extra half a yard of pace, and

2) Put in a bit more work in training on control/first touch

Hopefully then his game will improve

Agree with daz too that although he may only be good for 10 goals a season, I bet he would be good for 20 assists.