Shocking statistics

I'm afraid that wasn't Michael Yarwood. And I'm afraid we won't be seeing his match reports again either.

Really? Where's he gone?

Has he been 'offed' for being to joyful and positive in his reporting? I'll be sad if he has as it's absolutely the sole reason why I read it. I'll delete my bookmark if so.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been offed I'm afraid. Redundancy. Along with a few others (don't know who or how many, and I won't be revealing sources either...).

That's pretty sad, he's a great reporter. There's a stark difference between his tongue in cheek humour and Bugby's downbeat cynicism. Always refreshing to read, even after a crushingly boring match.

Hope he gets back working soon.

Yarwood's reports make miles better reading than Bugby's....but Bugby's been at the Chron a lot longer than Yarwood I think, so they wouldn't have to pay out as much redundancy money by making Yarwood redundant.

I wish Yarwood a speedy return to employment.

Jeez, people are being made redundant left, right and centre.

Edited by Yard Dog

The Chron's Michael Yarwood makes the most relevant point about Saturday's game:

'Come the end of the campaign, Athletic may live to regret such results.

What makes it even more frustrating, and annoying, is that the aberrations on home soil have invariably been against teams in the bottom-half of the table.

The likes of Huddersfield, Yeovil and Brighton have all made their mark at Boundary Park, and but for those slip ups, John Sheridan’s side would today be occupying top spot.'

Corporal, if your going to make these comments and quote people, then at least quote the right people. I think you will find that Saturdays report was written by Tony Bugby. :tongue1:

Cheers,

Harry

Edit: Reason for edit - Need to read the full thread and see alll posts on thread to realise that others have already posted my point. Doh :disappointed:

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

Corporal, if your going to make these comments and quote people, then at least quote the right people. I think you will find that Saturdays report was written by Tony Bugby. :tongue1:

Cheers,

Harry

Edit: Reason for edit - Need to read the full thread and see alll posts on thread to realise that others have already posted my point. Doh :disappointed:

It does carry more weight when you have said it, however.

The Chron's Michael Yarwood makes the most relevant point about Saturday's game:

'Come the end of the campaign, Athletic may live to regret such results.

What makes it even more frustrating, and annoying, is that the aberrations on home soil have invariably been against teams in the bottom-half of the table.

The likes of Huddersfield, Yeovil and Brighton have all made their mark at Boundary Park, and but for those slip ups, John Sheridan’s side would today be occupying top spot.'

Regardless of who said it - Damn you league structure! Damn you. :bigcry:

That's about expectation though Stipey. i think most would have settled for a point from the Leicester match pre game. A bottom 4 or 5 team though, with 10 men?

I'd also add huge frustration at the lack of being able to beat teams like Yeovil at home as well.

I'd say those are the games which win you promotions - the bread and butter games I think FMS called them, and indeed the games which end up costing you in the long run should you fall short at the final hurdle (I can't help but be put in mind of the Notts County game where Heffernan scored late on from a needless free kick won by Caskey the jug ear :censored:, and Port Vale, both in the 02/03 play-off season, where those extra 4 points would have seen us into joint 2nd place).

Thing is Dan we as fans only ever analyse stuff if we fall short at the end, and then we analyse away with a chorus of "if only", what we tend to forget is that there will be another 21 teams doing the same. Joe Royle always said you end up where you deserve in the league. As Leicester are top at the mo and on a cracking run its a good bet that Leicester fans ain't bemoaning being 2-0 up against a mediocre team like say, ohhhhhhhhhhh I dunno, Brighton, and losing 3-2, yet if the don't go up there will be fans who'll blame it on that game amongst others.

As for the 02/03 season, yes you could say those 2 games cost us, but then you could also say we were lucky to grab late, late wins at Stockport and Mansfield, what goes around comes around? All games are bread and butter games when you think about it!

Thing is Dan we as fans only ever analyse stuff if we fall short at the end, and then we analyse away with a chorus of "if only", what we tend to forget is that there will be another 21 teams doing the same. Joe Royle always said you end up where you deserve in the league. As Leicester are top at the mo and on a cracking run its a good bet that Leicester fans ain't bemoaning being 2-0 up against a mediocre team like say, ohhhhhhhhhhh I dunno, Brighton, and losing 3-2, yet if the don't go up there will be fans who'll blame it on that game amongst others.

As for the 02/03 season, yes you could say those 2 games cost us, but then you could also say we were lucky to grab late, late wins at Stockport and Mansfield, what goes around comes around? All games are bread and butter games when you think about it!

I realise other teams will be saying the same thing, but the ONLY team I'm interested in is Latics, and what we do. And I don't agree that we only ever analyse stuff if we fall short at the end. We've put ourselves in a great position with our results against the teams at the top end of the league (by and large) but I for one, am looking at the games where we haven't taken our chances against very average opposition - such as Huddersfield, Brighton, Yeovil, Swindon, Bristol etc.

I'm not saying we aren't gonna have bad days or drop points here and there, course we are, like all teams. The problem is that if you do it enough times (and 'consistency' has been Shez' buzz word 'consistently' this season) it'll bite you on the arse.

And yes, the late wins at Stockport and Mansfield could have been considered lucky - but that's what most promoted sides need to do. Grind out results and nick victories from the jaws of draws/defeats, whilst preventing others from doing the same to them.

I realise other teams will be saying the same thing, but the ONLY team I'm interested in is Latics, and what we do. And I don't agree that we only ever analyse stuff if we fall short at the end. We've put ourselves in a great position with our results against the teams at the top end of the league (by and large) but I for one, am looking at the games where we haven't taken our chances against very average opposition - such as Huddersfield, Brighton, Yeovil, Swindon, Bristol etc.

I'm not saying we aren't gonna have bad days or drop points here and there, course we are, like all teams. The problem is that if you do it enough times (and 'consistency' has been Shez' buzz word 'consistently' this season) it'll bite you on the arse.

And yes, the late wins at Stockport and Mansfield could have been considered lucky - but that's what most promoted sides need to do. Grind out results and nick victories from the jaws of draws/defeats, whilst preventing others from doing the same to them.

And therein lies our problem Dan, we're consistently consistent against the top teams and consistently inconsistent against the lower teams, if we could become consistently consistent over a consistent period that should be consistent with previous seasons and will see this consistence rewarded.

Unfortunately our motto is Keep the Faith, it should be "endeavouring to be consistently inconsistent" or to simplify "OAFC, kicking its regulars in the bollocks since 1895!"*

Edited by oafcprozac

And therein lies our problem Dan, we're consistently consistent against the top teams and consistently inconsistent against the lower teams, if we could become consistently consistent over a consistent period that should be consistent with previous seasons and will see this consistence rewarded.

Unfortunately our motto is Keep the Faith, it should be "endeavouring to be consistently inconsistent" or to simplify "OAFC, kicking its regulars in the bollocks since 1895!"*

LOL!

I think it was RoytonBlueLad who last season suggested we change our motto to

"OAFC wdlwwlldldw - it's how we roll"

:laught16::applause1:

Edited by ghostofcecere

Yes Dan I'm only interested in Latics too, but then we are playing in a league with 23 others you can't view us in isolation. At the end of the day the point was that Forest went up by winning 22 games, less than half and it matters not a jot if they won 22 by beating the top 11 home and away or the bottom 11 or a raggedy arsed selection across all 23! They won 22 and went up, it also means they drew and lost to teams that were average, it happens, its happened for the last 120 years or whatever it is Football League wise.

I know Shez bangs on about consistency and we all know why, but what else should he say. Fact remains that he can say it until he's blue in the face but it won't change the fact that players in this division are playing at the third tier of English football, and playing there by enlarge for a reason. Hell the so called top 4 in the Premiership ain't always consistent, what can we expect.

Btw Dan I well remember thinking when we beat Sheff W on 91 that I wasn't gonna celebrate cos that home defeat by Hull could have cost us!!! ;-)

Yes Dan I'm only interested in Latics too, but then we are playing in a league with 23 others you can't view us in isolation. At the end of the day the point was that Forest went up by winning 22 games, less than half and it matters not a jot if they won 22 by beating the top 11 home and away or the bottom 11 or a raggedy arsed selection across all 23! They won 22 and went up, it also means they drew and lost to teams that were average, it happens, its happened for the last 120 years or whatever it is Football League wise.

I know Shez bangs on about consistency and we all know why, but what else should he say. Fact remains that he can say it until he's blue in the face but it won't change the fact that players in this division are playing at the third tier of English football, and playing there by enlarge for a reason. Hell the so called top 4 in the Premiership ain't always consistent, what can we expect.

Btw Dan I well remember thinking when we beat Sheff W on 91 that I wasn't gonna celebrate cos that home defeat by Hull could have cost us!!! ;-)

Aye Stipe. Back onto the Forest thing, I think the key for them going up was dragging themselves out of slumps sooner rather than later. A string of bad results and they usually came out of it with a gritty, ugly win somewhere and got another little run going.

So far this season, IMO we've had one slump, of which we dragged ourselves out of it with a string of unconvincing, battling wins against Northampton, Southend and Walsall. That's exactly what my expectations were at the start of the season. Now the key for us is try not to get too frustrated when teams come to us, sit back and try and hit us on the counter. It's gonna happen all season like, more so when we're playing those bottom of the table troublesome (for us) sides. We'll drop more points against those, of that I'm quite sure.

And all the talk about only being interested in Latics? Hmmm, and all of us don't check the League 1 scores avidly at full time, to see how our competition went on? Do a little 'yay' when the likes of Leeds, Scunny, Millwall drop points? yearight.

And all the talk about only being interested in Latics? Hmmm, and all of us don't check the League 1 scores avidly at full time, to see how our competition went on? Do a little 'yay' when the likes of Leeds, Scunny, Millwall drop points? yearight.

I don't check the other scores avidly at this stage of the season - may do later on when it starts to have a more direct impact - but that wasn't what I was talking about J as I suspect you know full well.

What I am on about is the fact I don't give a crap if other teams are bemoaning their own :censored:ty results here and there, I really couldn't give a stuff about them. We have put together a squad which is more than capable of getting out of this division IF they can get their act together. The point is that if we can take the opportunities like Brighton et al, it reduces the risk of us being thrown into the lottery that is the play-offs.

I don't check the other scores avidly at this stage of the season - may do later on when it starts to have a more direct impact - but that wasn't what I was talking about J as I suspect you know full well.

What I am on about is the fact I don't give a crap if other teams are bemoaning their own :censored:ty results here and there, I really couldn't give a stuff about them. We have put together a squad which is more than capable of getting out of this division IF they can get their act together. The point is that if we can take the opportunities like Brighton et al, it reduces the risk of us being thrown into the lottery that is the play-offs.

Fair enough Dan, but at this level in football no team is ever going to take all their "opportunities" and anyway we get 46 opportunities per season, if we start singling out teams like Brighton then don't we sound like we're being a bit superior, and a tad like the fans of "big" clubs might? There is very little between top and bottom in this league as results this season show, any team on there day seems capable of beating any other, best thing to do is keep picking up points and see where we are with 5 or 6 games to go.

Players might be plying their trade in the third-tier for a reason, but it in no way follows that they can't become a consistently winning unit when they're pitting themselves against other teams made up of players who are plying their trade in the third-tier for a reason. After all, plenty of teams at this level have managed it, past Latics sides included.

They might be thrid-rate, but then they're not facing the likes of Robinho and Ronaldo every week.

Players might be plying their trade in the third-tier for a reason, but it in no way follows that they can't become a consistently winning unit when they're pitting themselves against other teams made up of players who are plying their trade in the third-tier for a reason. After all, plenty of teams at this level have managed it, past Latics sides included.

They might be thrid-rate, but then they're not facing the likes of Robinho and Ronaldo every week.

When or if you played football I bet you the one who'd have a shot for goal and it'd go out for a throw in.

Well that clearly explains why a team can't become consistent when facing players of roughly the same ability.

Thank the Lord for Mr Logic.

One does apologise again, just using a metaphor to illustrate that you were missing the point, unusually for you, and as you've missed it there is little point pursuing it further.

One does apologise again, just using a metaphor to illustrate that you were missing the point, unusually for you, and as you've missed it there is little point pursuing it further.

Point (us. acc. by missed): Poor excuse, trotted out when somebody's argument is proven to be full of holes. (Oxford English Dictionary.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Point (us. acc. by missed): Poor excuse, trotted out when somebody's argument is proven to be full of holes. (Oxford English Dictionary.)

What's that rustling I can hear, oh aye its the Corp clutching at straws.

At which point I shall bid you adieu, wouldn't want to get too excited in my replies.