Neal Eardley

Hands up who rates Neal Eardley in the £?00,000 bracket?

many moons ago we had two players in the form of Andy holt and Scott McNiven who were very highly regarded in the footballing world, and were expected to leave BP for relatively high sums for us. These days they are plying their trade in the back of beyond, after leaving Boundary park for next to, if not nothing.

Come back to the present day and we have Neal Eardley. Personally I rate him, and his attacking ability is of a very good standard for a full back in this division, but I have this feeling he will become just another name in the Latics Who's who of the future.

Having recently been dropped for Lomax, he has failed to feature in any of the recent games.

There could be another side to the coin however, with the Transfer window looming, is it all just a ploy by Sheridan to make him go unnoticed throughout January?

This can only be answered on Feb 1st, but will he still be here then?

There could be another side to the coin however, with the Transfer window looming, is it all just a ploy by Sheridan to make him go unnoticed throughout January?

Got to say that would be a splendid management technique. Hang onto your best players by not playing them......and reap the added benefits of decreasing their value!

Hughesy and Tayls on the bench Saturday please Shez. Eardley in the midfield please, if you dare show him off.

To be fair to Holt, he left for 150k. Not as much as hoped but he's forged a career out for himself at League One level.

Eardley has made over 100 appearances at 20 years old, captains his national side at under 21 level and on occasions has also played for the full national side. I suspect if he did go, it'd be a decent fee.

To be fair to Holt, he left for 150k. Not as much as hoped but he's forged a career out for himself at League One level.

Eardley has made over 100 appearances at 20 years old, captains his national side at under 21 level and on occasions has also played for the full national side. I suspect if he did go, it'd be a decent fee.

Especially as Wales have a decent crop of youngsters coming through at the moment!

He was , he had quite a few clubs watching him.

Whatever happened to David Beresford?

i seem to remember mcniven being watched by liverpool and celtic at one point and then he went through a phase of everytime he tried to play the ball down the line it ended up in the stand.

sometimes pressure can make or break young players.

i think it did with mcniven and holt but i have a funny feeling that for eardley it will be different in the years to come

Guest oa_exile
Whatever happened to David Beresford?

P.E. teacher at Wardle High School :wink:

I liked Beresford unfortunatly was part of the clear out for quick cash when we were on a downward slope , £350K to Udders ??

never did owt after :( so it was a good deal for us :wink:

Guest sheridans_world

David Beresford left Latics to join Huddersfield in March 1997 for £350k, meaning that we go £6500 for every game he featured in (32 starts, 32 subs), scoring two goals in that time so per goal, thats £175k for every goal he scored for us.

He only featured in 236 league games in total and, despite spending three years and three months at Huddersfield, only played 35 games for them, meaning every game he played for them cost them £10k plus his wages!

He did have a full season at Hull when they were in the third division. Now, even though he is 32, he retired at the ripe old age of 29 after leaving Macclesfield.

David Beresford left Latics to join Huddersfield in March 1997 for £350k, meaning that we go £6500 for every game he featured in (32 starts, 32 subs), scoring two goals in that time so per goal, thats £175k for every goal he scored for us.

He only featured in 236 league games in total and, despite spending three years and three months at Huddersfield, only played 35 games for them, meaning every game he played for them cost them £10k plus his wages!

He did have a full season at Hull when they were in the third division. Now, even though he is 32, he retired at the ripe old age of 29 after leaving Macclesfield.

we got Paul Reid & £350k for Bez

Guest sheridans_world
we got Paul Reid & £350k for Bez

It says on Soccerbase we paid £100k for Reid, does that mean we got £450k for Beresford (effectivley?)

Could hold his ale, Bez!

Eardley is just one of those players you see either one way or another. My suspicion is that with "DJ" certain to go forward all the time Lomax is seen as a slightly more defensive option on the other side. Eardley is the superior player by a long way though, even playing out of position in defence.

i seem to remember mcniven being watched by liverpool and celtic at one point and then he went through a phase of everytime he tried to play the ball down the line it ended up in the stand.

sometimes pressure can make or break young players.

i think it did with mcniven and holt but i have a funny feeling that for eardley it will be different in the years to come

There was talk at the time, that the two clubs mentioned were looking at him...did anybody genuinely rate him that much..... let's be honest,

There was talk at the time, that the two clubs mentioned were looking at him...did anybody genuinely rate him that much..... let's be honest,

at one point he did show great potential, but not good enough for liverpool as his career showed, did think he could have gone on but he seemed to have back look over the years with injurys and didnt he have cancer?

Hands up who rates Neal Eardley in the £?00,000 bracket?

many moons ago we had two players in the form of Andy holt and Scott McNiven who were very highly regarded in the footballing world, and were expected to leave BP for relatively high sums for us. These days they are plying their trade in the back of beyond, after leaving Boundary park for next to, if not nothing.

Come back to the present day and we have Neal Eardley. Personally I rate him, and his attacking ability is of a very good standard for a full back in this division, but I have this feeling he will become just another name in the Latics Who's who of the future.

Having recently been dropped for Lomax, he has failed to feature in any of the recent games.

This can only be answered on Feb 1st, but will he still be here then?

Selling Eardley in Jan would be ideal for us.

Keep Hughes and Taylor and have a better replacement in Lomax.

Championship here we come !

i seem to remember mcniven being watched by liverpool and celtic

I may have been wrong, but when i was on my assesment day for the fire service back in 1996 (i think) i was sure one of the beresford brothers was on it too. He (if indeed it was him) failed. I didnt and have now got 11 years in,whereas he seemed to fade into footballing obscurity. Who'd have thought i made a better career choice than being a pro footballer?! Never looked at it like that before! Wayne Rooney can stick his ferrari's up his ass!

Reason for edit - crap spelling! Probably why i chose not to follow a career path in teaching.........

Edited by BlueJazzer

I remember Beresford for that blinding goal he scored away at Wolves!One of the best goals I`ve seen by a tics player in more recent years.That and Beharall`s goal at BP(think it was against the Pie Eaters)goin past 5 or 6 players & squeezin the ball in via a deflection!

Slightly off topic,but still full back related,Does anyone know if Danny Jones` loan can be extended in January or is it goin to be the same as last year when Bertrand didn`t come back?

I remember Beresford for that blinding goal he scored away at Wolves!One of the best goals I`ve seen by a tics player in more recent years.That and Beharall`s goal at BP(think it was against the Pie Eaters)goin past 5 or 6 players & squeezin the ball in via a deflection!

Slightly off topic,but still full back related,Does anyone know if Danny Jones` loan can be extended in January or is it goin to be the same as last year when Bertrand didn`t come back?

Im sure mr beresford plays for curzon ashton now,if not them im sure he plays for a local part time club