Peterborough United - Thank you

As most of you probably know, part of the Ernieflag concept this season has been to try and get clubs to run a piece in their programme when Latics come to town.

Without doubt, Peterborough have been the most receptive, requesting a longer piece than the one originally sent.

I have just received a copy of a page from the programme for this coming Saturday.

I hope this shows up OK on here.

PeterboroughProgramme.jpg

Edited by Latics & England

As most of you probably know, part of the Ernieflag concept this season has been to try and get clubs to run a piece in their programme when Latics come to town.

Without doubt, Peterborough have been the most receptive, requesting a longer piece than the one originally sent.

I have just received a copy of a page from the programme for this coming Saturday.

I hope this shows up OK on here.

PeterboroughProgramme.jpg

Christ, that's a photo to scare the kids with.

Well done Mark, it looks really Posh! :)

Just a pity the editor has omitted the explanation of why Ernie "hadn't even finished with that (Rochdale) game", namely:

Being a friendly, there were substitutions galore and after every member of the squad had managed to get some time on the pitch, one of the Oldham players went down with a knock. As the fans looked to the bench to see how Dowie would react, they saw Ernie taking his tracksuit bottoms off, desperate to get back out there.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Great article. It still amazes me that he only started 26 games, it's the mark of the man that we remember him a lot more, and more fondly than many who started a lot more than that. So true about him playing the way you would if you got the chance, there are so many people who coast through sport to whatever level their natural talent takes them, but there are a few who drive themselves up through sheer dedication and desire for the game and play at a much higher level than they might have done. I'm not given to quoting Iain Dowie much, but he described Ernie as, "the best footballer he ever worked with." I doubt he meant passing range or ball control, but I can see what he meant.

Not peeing on your parade but isn't a major concept (and arguably THE major concept) to spread knowledge of the disease that is malignant melanoma? Just that there's not a single metion of it.

E4e

ERNIE

I'm glad you raised this. To clear up the confusion, the article which is shown in this thread is a tribute by Mark, which was requested specifically by Steve Brewer, the Posh programme editor in addition to the normal article which is to be published and reads:

If you take a look at the visiting fans today, you will no doubt notice a flag adorned with the name of ‘Ernie Cooksey’.

PICTURE OF FLAG

The flag belongs to a group of Oldham Athletic fans, who had it made in memory of one of their former players, who died tragically in July 2008 at the age of 28. Ernie, who also played for Rochdale, Boston United and Grays Athletic, died less than a month before the birth of his only child., after contracting Malignant Melanoma, a severe form of skin cancer which is diagnosed in over 8,000 people in the UK each year.

The fans intend to take the flag to every Oldham game this season and a number of other events, both in memory of a player who never gave less than 100%, and also to promote the fight against this cancer which can kill even the fittest of young people.

To find out more about Ernie, Malignant Melanoma and to donate to the fight against it, visit www.ernieflag.co.uk .

The ernieflag site contains a link to the Factor 50 site. I also have the lnk on my 8,500 odd posts on OWTB.

We also have Factor 50 flyers to give out to interested opposition fans who we meet in pubs, when telling Ernie's story.

i think its absolutly brilliant diego.

not one for buying away programmes at games,but is this the first acknowledgement about it on the actual match day?

No, the flag article has appeared before

Been to majority of away. Only programmes I have located are....

Colchester - Yes.

Leeds - Yes

Tranmere -No

Hartlepool - Doesn't appear to be.

Northampton - Yes

Southend - Again, doesn't appear to.

Swindon - Seems not again.

but this is the first time that a separate tribute from a Latics supporter has been requested by a club.

Northampton Town also deserve a mention as their reply included:

"If we can help with the campaign in any other way or with any support for Ernie’s family, please let me know." I passed this offer of help on to 'FrankBunn'sChin'.

Bristol Rovers added a tribute by Ricky Lambert, one of Ernie's teammates at Dale, and Colchester added to the article about Ernie starting out with them as a youngster.

Is it too much to ask that we get the Ernie chant going on Saturday?

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I'm glad you raised this. To clear up the confusion, the article which is shown in this thread is a tribute by Mark, which was requested specifically by Steve Brewer, the Posh programme editor in addition to the normal article which is to be published and reads:

If you take a look at the visiting fans today, you will no doubt notice a flag adorned with the name of ‘Ernie Cooksey’.

PICTURE OF FLAG

The flag belongs to a group of Oldham Athletic fans, who had it made in memory of one of their former players, who died tragically in July 2008 at the age of 28. Ernie, who also played for Rochdale, Boston United and Grays Athletic, died less than a month before the birth of his only child., after contracting Malignant Melanoma, a severe form of skin cancer which is diagnosed in over 8,000 people in the UK each year.

The fans intend to take the flag to every Oldham game this season and a number of other events, both in memory of a player who never gave less than 100%, and also to promote the fight against this cancer which can kill even the fittest of young people.

To find out more about Ernie, Malignant Melanoma and to donate to the fight against it, visit www.ernieflag.co.uk .

The ernieflag site contains a link to the Factor 50 site. I also have the lnk on my 8,500 odd posts on OWTB.

We also have Factor 50 flyers to give out to interested opposition fans who we meet in pubs, when telling Ernie's story.

After reading that I think an even bigger round of applause should go to The Posh, great effort in raising awareness of both the cause and of 'Our' Ernie :applause1:

Is it too much to ask that we get the Ernie chant going on Saturday?

With you there mate, havent heard a good Ernie chant for a while (wasnt at Southend) ... lets get one going Saturday!

Famtastic article aswell, as said above i cant beleive he started only 26 games, what a shame!

Ernie, Ernie, ERNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!