Oldhamers half-hearted over BOGOF offer

Fabulous.

People complain about not enough promotions to attract fans, then when TTA come up with a good one they say it's a plot to give them an excuse to pull out... :blink:

With faith like that I really wouldn't blame them if they did.

Unfortunately it's been stiring TTA in the face since 'Celebration Sunday' that BP will only be full if free admission is offered. :disappointed:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If every ST holder bought two that's 5000 and just £10!

I think you've hit on the solution. If every ST holder bought two tickets for £10 for every home game and gave them to people on a list, comprising those who used to go to BP but will only go if it's free. It's so simple really. ST holders could give up a couple of pints or some cigs to raise on average £5 per week. They would feel better for it and have that charitable glow about themselves. Yes, this must be the way forward - are you with me? :wink:

to be quite honest with you i think its a test from the tta

if we cant pack BP out for next to nothing there prob going to think if they cant be ars** coming to BP with this great offer why should we bother pumping money into this club if the fans cant be ars** then why should we

just my opinion and a few others who i know

the trouble is that the fans can be arsed....hence why we have our hardcore following and 1k floaters every game....the fans isnt the problem..

the problem is the stayaway ex fan who needs tempting back to bp...

the trouble is that people of a certain age have seen the bad times then the good times...then started to see it slip away with a lack of investment and some dodgy managers installed with nothing to spend......and took a decision that if the club cant be bothered then why should we....

tta's are paying the price for that and all that has happened since the pinch me years....

it doesnt matter what they do it is always only going to be the hardcore who appreciate it and back it...the sooner they and others realise this the better...

if they turned round and sai ok ,the leyton game is kids free and everyone else a quid....the place may well be full but they you would have all the season ticket holders moaning that there seat was took...and arguments would ensue...the holier than thou attitude would make the stay aways think boiloks to this,i come to watch a game and get abused,wont do it again....thats just a simple fact of life of how it would be....

if this credit crunch hadnt hit home and the council hadnt been so bloody minded and useless then bp reconstruction would be well underway by now...and on our way to self sufficiency were the owners would offset any loss by the income generated....

when this happens they wont give a flying so to speak if people dont come,it wont be costing them...the manager would have a bigger budget then promotion would see a slight increase...it wont be until were knocking on the greedy league door again that we see bp full in all its splendour

the trouble is that the fans can be arsed....hence why we have our hardcore following and 1k floaters every game....the fans isnt the problem..

the trouble is that people of a certain age have seen the bad times then the good times...then started to see it slip away with a lack of investment and some dodgy managers installed with nothing to spend......and took a decision that if the club cant be bothered then why should we....

tta's are paying the price for that and all that has happened since the pinch me years....

it doesnt matter what they do it is always only going to be the hardcore who appreciate it and back it...the sooner they and others realise this the better...

if they turned round and sai ok ,the leyton game is kids free and everyone else a quid....the place may well be full but they you would have all the season ticket holders moaning that there seat was took...and arguments would ensue...the holier than thou attitude would make the stay aways think boiloks to this,i come to watch a game and get abused,wont do it again....thats just a simple fact of life of how it would be....

if this credit crunch hadnt hit home and the council hadnt been so bloody minded and useless then bp reconstruction would be well underway by now...and on our way to self sufficiency were the owners would offset any loss by the income generated....

when this happens they wont give a flying so to speak if people dont come,it wont be costing them...the manager would have a bigger budget then promotion would see a slight increase...it wont be until were knocking on the greedy league door again that we see bp full in all its splendour

I agree with most of that im sad to say...

The only thing that probably isnt true is about the stadium. May well have been a godsend that development work didnt start all things considered....

Edited by oafc0000

I agree with most of that im sad to say...

The only thing that probably isnt true is about the stadium. May well have been a godsend that development work didnt start all things considered....

yes but talking hypothetically..if the council hadnt messed us about the decision on the ground would of been made 12 - 18 months earlier when the housing market was at an optimum and developers were falling overthemself to buy land and build....

had it been sorted out then tta;s would already have the money banked safe and sound...meaning the only people having it hard would be those that bought the land off them,ie the developers...the lookers would have been down and the new main stand taking shape....

if that was the case some people in the town may well have seen it as a sign of potential and lets go have a nosey,then the knock on effect takes shape..

but you have to also put some blame on this n last seasons playing....which when it has clicked has been nothing short of brilliant...but more often when it hasnt has been very woefull indeed...

i came to see the yeovil game as it was the first game i could afford since getting a job....i spent £30 in total in bp that day and left feeling like i never wanted to go again..it was pathetic and thats being kind....

last week my son mythered me to death to go to bp and watch the game...so again i coughed up another £30 and again left feeling why i had bothered.....

ill go to the orient game and take my dad with me and my son.....im hoping for a great result going into christmas and leaving bp full of joy at a great result....but it isnt guarenteed is it....

so if a lot of floaters have been tempted to come back again,and seen games like that were the players looked dissinterested and so on you really expect them to come back again when they dont need or want to....

...it wont be until were knocking on the greedy league door again that we see bp full in all its splendour

So is "the holier than thou attitude that makes the stay-aways think bolloks to this, I come to watch a game and get abused, wont do it again.." which you claim going to stop suddenly when we're knocking on that door?.

and back in droves, with their gold bracelets, cigars and middle class football talk come the hanger onners and even quicker pisser offers!!!

Not forgetting their thick-skin, so they're not put off by the claimed holier than thou attitude that makes the current stay-aways think bolloks to this, I come to watch a game and get abused, wont do it again.

What is really the difference between when we had 4 sides? (I speak as someone who used to sit in the Lookers and had the stand knocked out from under him) Apart from the Chaddy and the RRE the ground was already pretty embarrassing, it is only now that I sit in the RRE that I have seen the slope in what remains of the Lookers and can see what oppo fans would have seen for years and don't get me started on the main stand.

Even for all it's faults it is still the best ground in the country because it is home.

If ever there was a chicken and egg question this is it - will latics get success before more crowds or will more crowds come before success?

Of all the points I made, the one you highlight is hardly the crucial one. The only reason I made it was that having a three-sided ground highlights how far we've fallen behind other clubs, in similar towns, even more than BP did when the ground was still wholly intact. That is slightly embarrassing. Or to me it is, anyway.

Some excellent points there.

Not forgetting their thick-skin, so they're not put off by the claimed holier than thou attitude that makes the current stay-aways think bolloks to this, I come to watch a game and get abused, wont do it again.

I didn't see a great deal of the premiergreed days, due to playing competitive saturday football at the time, which for those couple of years certainly didn't make me any less of a fan in my eyes and any of my friends who were still regularly attending...since then there has still been the odd season, where I have played and therefore missed some games, however my love for Oldham could be no greater if i had never missed - My point is not made from a 'holier than attitude point of view' and those who abuse these turning up for one off games do so because that's how they feel about them personally - rightly or wrongly.

My point was based around the clubs attitude towards the 'type' of fan that they wanted to attract at the time - the corporate one - and a number of close family and friends i know who have been going since the 60s, never went during them years, because of their 'new fan focus' and it seemed that those who had been with them through thin and thin for years in the lower divisions, were given no thought, when dishing out tickets etc.

They have been st holders with the club since dropping back in the 3rd division - back to where they started many years ago - do they and I want success for the club - of course - would they want it whilst having to put up with some of the prats that came for 4 years, 16 years ago (where are they now!' ) - i doubt it.

If that is 'holier than thou' then so be it, but i feel the description may need a change.

The home capacity of BP is about 8,750 (unless we give the big side of the RRE to the oppo which makes it about 7500). When TTA tried £2 games near xmas a few years ago (thanks mainly to the Hillstone people- who probably wish they had kept their money) we got 10,000 in. But that was £2 on the gate not £10 for 2 in advance and we weren't in a credit crunch. We will certainly have more fans in than we would have if the prices had been the standard but I'm not sure we'd fill it (our bit anyway). When booked in advance it looks great value for money (you'd struggle to see Curzon Ashton for that price and might struggle to go the cinema as well), however, the Oldham public will NOT buy tickets in advance unless its a big game as if the weather is :censored: which it more than likely will be some of them won't come and therefore will have wasted their money. I applaud TTA for trying to increase the fan base and this is a good idea, and maybe just maybe a few of those who come because its cheap will stay. Plus I bet there are a few season ticket holders who still moan because the price they paid for their season ticket is now £10 worse off.

Having not been in the Manchester area can I ask how much promotion of this great value for money deal has been done outside Oldham? I've said time and time again on here the Chron is useless for promoting Latics, most of the people who read the Chron will go to Latics if they want to and most that go to Latics go regularly that this deal is already known about, and NO ONE outside of Oldham reads the Chron who isn't a Latics fan. The Rev is alright but it suffers from the same sort of problem in that it's main base is in Oldham and so doesn't do a great deal in terms of adding new fans. Having looked at the fixture list, only Bolton and Stockport in Greater Manchester are at home, Rochdale and Bury are both away down south (Bournemouth and Exeter), City aren't playing until the Sunday and PLC aren't playing in the League at all (I think they are playing in the World club thing). The timing is right and I remember as a youngster going to watch Bury because Oldham were away and I wanted to watch some football on a Saturday, I'm sure other youngsters might feel the same about their first teams and Oldham. Instead of focusing on the apathetic stay aways of Oldham why not have a go at getting some people in from the likes of Rochdale, Manchester and Bury. That means TTA there is little point having people in Oldham town centre trying to promote the game, you'd be much better off having someone stand by the Arndale Centre in Manchester, the Wheatsheaf in Rochdale, Spindles in Bury or the Trafford Centre to promote the game. Get fans in on the cheap schemes work as well as they are promoted but it doesn't take a marketing genius to work out that the Chron is fairly hopeless in this regard. If we are to survive at a higher level than we are at we need more fans than would be willing to come on top of what we have from Oldham but still the club insists on focusing its attention on promoting itself in Oldham. If you keep flogging a dead horse it doesn't make it less dead and I believe (and I will admit to a bit of non-Oldham bias) that we need to find a new horse and flog that to death and maybe just maybe with a good run of form and a promotion under our belt the old horse might get a new lease of life.

it'll be reet. we all know lapsed fans, weve all told them the deal. if anything its a test of us who say we would fill the ground at a tenner. if we lose saturday i still expect 8500+. will defo have an effect on a lot of key peoples views, even the players who may be going.

Guest oa_exile
Makes it worse as both Manure and Citeh have no fixture on that day either.

........ I take your point, but if City or United were offering half priced tickets would you go? I know I wouldn't........

Think you may have missed my point actually, usually the Oldham Reds and Sky Blues turn out for these sort of cheap games when they are not on the Sky :wink:

The is due to the fact that not many Oldham Reds and Sky Blues actually go to O.T. or the Council House.

So is "the holier than thou attitude that makes the stay-aways think bolloks to this, I come to watch a game and get abused, wont do it again.." which you claim going to stop suddenly when we're knocking on that door?.

probably not...but again thats down to the club to inform people buying tickets that you can sit anywhere except a reserved seat occupied by a season ticket holder...

you always get season ticket holders coming into the ground 5 mins before kickoff.as there concerned there seat is there regardless...they have prepaid for it in advance at a reduced rate....but this in itself causes a problem as if someone buys a ticket that says unreserved seating..thats the green light to sit where you want....

that is were you get the stand off with a st holder arguing because they have sat there come hell or high water for the last 20 odd years and wont be dictated too by some fly by night fan who has only come because its a couple of quid.

they may have only paid a couple of quid,but if they have a good day and the team play good stuff and get a good result they are more likely to return and pay a bit more..but not if they have someone moaning at them there in there seat and have no right to be here......

one difference if we are in the championship and going for the greedy league is that we should have a higher percentage of season ticket holders,and maybe the new stand built where the club could initiate something like season ticket holders only in the new stand,then there wouldnt be any argy bargy...

BP for the Orient game looks like being only half full. :disappointed:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...tickets-liftoff

"Athletic are dissapointed with the response to their christmas ticket giveaway."

What a load of sh*te. I finished at 5pm today. How many people have time to go down during the week and get a ticket? I certainly dont.

probably not...but again thats down to the club to inform people buying tickets that you can sit anywhere except a reserved seat occupied by a season ticket holder...

you always get season ticket holders coming into the ground 5 mins before kickoff.as there concerned there seat is there regardless...they have prepaid for it in advance at a reduced rate....but this in itself causes a problem as if someone buys a ticket that says unreserved seating..thats the green light to sit where you want....

It's not the green light to sit where you want. It's quite simple - if your ticket says "unreserved" then don't sit in a sit marked "reserved". If you go into a restaurant, you don't argue about sitting at the table marked "reserved".

Everyone is welcome at BP - the more the merrier and better the chance of the Club surviving, but avoid the agro by avoiding seats marked "reserved". ST holders don't ask for much, but draw the line at losing their seat.

It's not the green light to sit where you want. It's quite simple - if your ticket says "unreserved" then don't sit in a sit marked "reserved". If you go into a restaurant, you don't argue about sitting at the table marked "reserved".

Everyone is welcome at BP - the more the merrier and better the chance of the Club surviving, but avoid the agro by avoiding seats marked "reserved". ST holders don't ask for much, but draw the line at losing their seat.

Its not quite as simple as that. Many season ticket holders don't actually sit in their seats so its a bit unpractical to just avoid all the reserved ones. BUT if your sat in a reserve seat and a season ticket hold turns up and asks your to move then you should do so. I think sometimes Some ST holders can be quite confrontational when asking to people to move though which never helps either. On the flip though, people should respect ST holders more than they do I feel.

Its not quite as simple as that. Many season ticket holders don't actually sit in their seats so its a bit unpractical to just avoid all the reserved ones. BUT if your sat in a reserve seat and a season ticket hold turns up and asks your to move then you should do so. I think sometimes Some ST holders can be quite confrontational when asking to people to move though which never helps either. On the flip though, people should respect ST holders more than they do I feel.

Chicken and egg!! You're spot on though. As everything in this beautiful little world of ours, there's a way of a asking!

im a season ticket holder and DONT sit in my seat... i not bothered if someone does ill just sit else where the RRE has a good view where ever you sit and im easy going and ill stand all game aswell which most will...

all these stay away fans who come up these c**p excuses obviously dont care much about the club as we do... PPL MOAN AT ME SO IM NOT COMING BACK... nah im having none of that

but are away support is top class an average of about 4300 each week at home in which 4000 went to wigan 3200 went rochdale 6000 to everton 1800 tuesday night to leeds in the carling cup i dont think any other clubs who get the same as us at home can take what we take away...

once a blue always a blue ill never be anything else... cmon oldham

and thats in the same division for about 10years image we went up, new grounds new divison

WE WOULD BE TOP CLASS...

oh when the blues!!! do do de do :grin: