Black Metal

BJBlue

I stopped trying to keep up with the classification of bands years back, when Emo was short "emotional hardcore", so some of these might not count...

I really loved Satyricons' Now Diabolical album, but haven't heard the new one yet, Age of Nero. Is it any good?

Also like Black Dahlia Murder, Job for a Cowboy, Pig Destroyer and you can't beat a bit of Napalm Death.

Don't like the stuff that uses lots of keyboards etc (unless it's full on Ministry / KMFDM / Front 242 etc).

Saw Children of Bodom live for the first time this week (supporting Slipknot / Machine Head - and Jesus did I feel old at that gig!) and they were far better live than recorded.

Can you recommend anything a bit more recent I should check out?

I stopped trying to keep up with the classification of bands years back, when Emo was short "emotional hardcore", so some of these might not count...

I really loved Satyricons' Now Diabolical album, but haven't heard the new one yet, Age of Nero. Is it any good?

Also like Black Dahlia Murder, Job for a Cowboy, Pig Destroyer and you can't beat a bit of Napalm Death.

Don't like the stuff that uses lots of keyboards etc (unless it's full on Ministry / KMFDM / Front 242 etc).

Saw Children of Bodom live for the first time this week (supporting Slipknot / Machine Head - and Jesus did I feel old at that gig!) and they were far better live than recorded.

Can you recommend anything a bit more recent I should check out?

Oh I saw Napalm Death a couple of years back. Although I like the music, I can safely say it was the worst gig I've been to. I don't mind them talkin to the audience or whatever but to stand on stage and tell everyone how much you have politicians and organized religion is bloody annoying!

But yeah, you're not the only black metal fans on here :) can't beat the old stuff though like Emperor, Mayhem and Darkthrone

I've only heard a couple of tracks off 'Age of Nero' but they were good. By all accounts it's better than 'Now, Diabolical' and that was a good album so i'll probabley buy it. There's a band from Manchester called 'Winterfylleth' who have released their debut this year and for a first go it's really good. If you like the more rock type stuff like Satyricon's latest albums i'd recommend Darkthrone's last three albums 'The Cult is Alive' 'F.O.A.D' 'Dark Thrones and Black Flags'. very rocky/punky but keeping the black metal feel. Keeping in the vein of that punky sounding black metal you might like Carpathian Forest, their last album was ':censored: you all' and its quite good. If you want something abit different check out 'Helheim' who are one of my favourite bands at the moment. Their last two albums, 'The Journey's and Expiriences of Death' and 'Kaoskult' are brilliant. They all have myspace pages so you can check them out easily enough. If you're not into the norweigen thing as muc Cradle of Filth have a new album either out or on the way called 'Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder' which is supposed to be their best for a while but i'm not really a fan so i couldn't pass comment on it myself.

As for nalpalm death, i saw them play at Bloodstock in August and to be honest i've never been a fan of grindcore but i thought they were really good and i was suprised how much i liked the performance. I bought Emperor's 'In the nightshade eclipse' last week an it's a great album.

Oh and if you like thrash check out Evile and their debut album 'Enter the Grave'. Althought they are from Huddersfield i can't say enough good things about that band and they are great live.