jsslatic

Mr Jamelia  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Darren Byfield: Stay or Go?

• Stay
    • Go
    • Stay, but only if he scores against Posh

Guest oa_exile
.......And O'Grady must feel very unlucky after recent good performances.

If you think that O’Grady is the answer then we are in trouble as he is also not good enough,in my humble opinion of course ^_^

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did Shez say before dropping COG (again)? Something along the lines of "...he works really hard but unfortunately strikers are judged on goals..."

Well seeing as I don't go that much can someone do the math for me...Darren Byfield, goals per game?

E4e

HEHAW

Done booger all since coming. Strolls around like he's better than he is. Another CD if ever there was one, but not half as good and that's saying sommat with my views of CD.

Never rated Byfield and never will going off what I've seen.

E4e

PONCE

agree nick never beat the good old johnny johnny eyre.....never as popular either i mean byfield doesn't get his name plastered all over virgin trains...eh

What did Shez say before dropping COG (again)? Something along the lines of "...he works really hard but unfortunately strikers are judged on goals..."

Well seeing as I don't go that much can someone do the math for me...Darren Byfield, goals per game?

E4e

HEHAW

Tell you what.....you respond to Harry and I'l do your maths for you :wink:

:lol:

E4e

HEHAW

Ah was waiting for that reply.

You want to get into goals scored. Big mistake, huge. Check out Byfield's and O'Grady's career stats and goals per game ratio's and you will see why.

On a previous O'Grady thread I made the exact same comment that Shez came out with and over half a season and the number of games he has played for us and on loan at Bury COG has not yet hit the back of the net in a league game. He has come from League 2 and and he has so far failed to make the grade in the goalscoring department, although other aspects of his game look generally good. Now turning to Byfield we are looking at a player who last season was top scorer for Bristol City in the Championship, a team that finished in the top 6 and went all the way to the playoffs final. The man has a proven track record at this level and above and from the 4 games he has played for us to date, looks like he still has it. The fact that he hasn't scored yet although slightly concerning is not a major worry as I am sure Shez will be wanting to judge him over a longer period i.e hopefully another month or so.

It is also interetsing to note that Hughes has hit 5 goals in his 4 games partnering Byfield, which I believe is his best return of the season with any strike partner over a 4 game period. Byfield takes so much attention from opposition defenders that some of the focus goes off Hughes. His leading of the line yesterday was an example to any youngster (take note O'Grady and Alesandra) He wins headers, links well with Hughes and the midfield and makes inteligent runs all across the line. What he isn't, is a chaser of lost causes and for that he will get a tag of "lazy."

The next question is going to be can Shez arrange a further months loan for Byfield. If he can, then I do believe that we will see the benefit on Saturday against Orient and over the Christmas period. He's not god but he sure as hell is a good partner for Hughes and if you are in any doubt please go on the 606 message board on the BBC and read the Peterborough fans comments. They were clearly impressed with our forward line.

Cheers,

Harry

I've seen him at Northampton and Peterborough, and both times have thought of him as a significantly better Chris O'Grady. Better in every area, except maybe a bit weaker in the air. He's coming back to sharpness but is already contributing to us all over. He holds it up, he pulls defenders all over the place, he is :censored: quick, he passes intelligently. Bigfin pointed out that he hasn't seen Byfield get a chance for us yet for him to miss. So long as we kep winning or getting good away draws I'll take that, but I am sure that someone who has scored goals at a higher level for rubbish clubs for most of his career will still be able to put it away, especially as he looks like he really wants it. Obviously depends on what happens with Hughes and Davies, but if Byfield comes in full time I would be very happy with that. He looks like a great player with a good attitude to me.

If his loan's extended O Driscoll needs his head checking. We're struggling for a 16 at the moment so if his loan's extended I will be surprised.

I can see what you're saying but does O'Driscoll really want Byfield back?

It depends if his face still fits, would he not sooner offload him and look to bring a totally new face in during the January window.

To be fair, I was as sceptical as Nik when Byfield first arrived. But on Saturday he was superb, and linked up really well with Hughes. Peterborough are no mugs in this division, unbeaten since the first week in September tells you as much. But we gave them the right runaround on Saturday, and caused them untold problems. Byfield was key to this too, he niggled away and dragged defenders all over the place.

He's better than Davies by a long chalk. Unfortunately as the Rovers fan points out, he's bound to be going back to them now, so I think we'll be left with a moody Davies returning, who obviously doesn't want to play for us any more. Think it's going to be an interesting January for sure, and our strilke force for the rest of the season will look vastly different to the one we have now which beasted Peterborough.

Nik, think you've got a decent point about the hypocrasy that Shez shows sometimes as manager. COG is worth a decent run in the side, but our record as a team since Byfield arrived is fantastic and shouldn't be overlooked. We may come to be craving a striker of Byfield's ilk in a few months.

How many did Porter get in his first season with us? - Just checked soccerbase - answer - 9 - hardly prolific either. Once he had settled in though he got a few more the next season. Does take players, especially youngsters a while to adjust to a new club, new league..etc.. I'm not ready to write CoG off yet.

I can see what you're saying but does O'Driscoll really want Byfield back?

It depends if his face still fits, would he not sooner offload him and look to bring a totally new face in during the January window.

He said a few weeks back he wanted him back for the christmas period, whether he does or not I don't know. I would think he would with Brooker, Hayter and Coppinger all recently injured. Wouldn't surprise me if he came back for 2 weeks and is then let go of.

I've seen him at Northampton and Peterborough, and both times have thought of him as a significantly better Chris O'Grady. Better in every area, except maybe a bit weaker in the air. He's coming back to sharpness but is already contributing to us all over. He holds it up, he pulls defenders all over the place, he is :censored: quick, he passes intelligently. Bigfin pointed out that he hasn't seen Byfield get a chance for us yet for him to miss. So long as we kep winning or getting good away draws I'll take that, but I am sure that someone who has scored goals at a higher level for rubbish clubs for most of his career will still be able to put it away, especially as he looks like he really wants it. Obviously depends on what happens with Hughes and Davies, but if Byfield comes in full time I would be very happy with that. He looks like a great player with a good attitude to me.

The game I saw against Walsall he was terrible, disinterested and only once did his first touch not result in the ball moving 6 yards infront of him.

And theres a reason why Byfield has followed our other strikers in not scoring..............................

The game I saw against Walsall he was terrible, disinterested and only once did his first touch not result in the ball moving 6 yards infront of him.

And theres a reason why Byfield has followed our other strikers in not scoring..............................

Let me guess. Hughes only sets loads of goals up for midfielders? That is possibly your best one yet Coco.

Let me guess. Hughes only sets loads of goals up for midfielders? That is possibly your best one yet Coco.

He doesn't pass to a fellow striker when they're in a better position, it's pretty clear to see. If we win games, it matters not who scores the goals.

Edited by Senor_Coconut

Jeez! Another stick to beat him with Coco? Laughable.

It can be a problem with loans - more short term to be renewed types, where the player is expected to settle in to the team straight away. Settling into a team takes at least two things on the pitch - the loanee understanding how the players around him play and are most likely to feed the ball to him and vice versa, where it is his strengths lie and how the players around him anticipating his movement etc. To me it sounds like (and I can't judge first hand (exile)) on his performances he should stay, even if he hasn't banged in the goals because these will come when there is a better understanding between the players.

I don't tink there is a problem with him settling in. When Hazel was being interviewed he was messing around off camera trying to put him off. Eardley also mentioned how well he played on Saturday and only briefly mentioned Hughes. I think therefore from these two interviewa that Byfield is already a popular lad in the dressing room.