Outfield players in goal

After reading the thread about the possibility of an outfield player having to go in goal last Saturday, I've been trying to remember which Latics players I've seen take the place of an inured keeper.

Maurice Whittle and John Bowden I'm pretty sure have done it. Alan Young? And who replaced John Platt at Luton all those years ago?

Against Wolves at home - step up Mr Gerry Crainey, worst penalty I have ever seen.

Yep Crainey took it after Lee Richardson got himself sent off against Reading i think. A game we really couldnt afford not to win at the time as we were looking like going down. Luckily he was back for the Millwall game where we were battered for 90 mins and managed to win thanks to a Richardson penalty. Ive hadnt seen such a good penalty taker at Latics till Liddell.

Bob Ledger back in the 60s.

He also played on both wings, at full back, centre forward and midfield.

It was in a home cup-tie against Notts County when David Best was injured. And he did not let one in. Ledger, I am certain, was the only player ever to appear in all 11 positions for the Latics. Very popular with the 60s fans - he won the club’s first ever Player of the Year vote.

After reading the thread about the possibility of an outfield player having to go in goal last Saturday, I've been trying to remember which Latics players I've seen take the place of an inured keeper.

Maurice Whittle and John Bowden I'm pretty sure have done it. Alan Young? And who replaced John Platt at Luton all those years ago?

One I remember was at Portsmouth under big Joe in probably his 2nd or 3rd season. David Cross was up front that day and we were unbelieveably 4-0 up at half time. During the second half Portsmouth bombarded us and pulled a couple back before our keeper got injured. I can't remember who was in goal, but it was during Gorams reign so it could have been him. I thought Nick Sinclair went on goal that day though after reading the ThaiLatics post it could have been John Bowden so I stand to be corrected.

That Portsmouth result was one of the surprises of the season and we ended up hanging on to win 4-3. Thinking about it it must have been Royle's second season and Cross was signed after the sales of Atkinson, Ryan & Wylde. We went to Portsmounth having been given no chance.

Its amazing how you get results like lickle Owdham beating the mighty Pompey on their own turf. I mean how does it happen. I bet the Portsmouth fans were saying things like sack the manager, because they had been beaten by a minnow of the division eh LaticsNik. :grin:

The John Platt one was IIRC a night match. It was rare in those days, but I don't recall going to the game (there must have been a dam good reason!) so sorry I can't confirm who went in goal. But I will try and dig the information out.

Also remember a certain Harry Dowd breaking his hand at Port vale on New Years day 1974. Again can't recall who went in goal, although that could have been Whittle.

Cheers,

Harry

It was in a home cup-tie against Notts County when David Best was injured. And he did not let one in. Ledger, I am certain, was the only player ever to appear in all 11 positions for the Latics. Very popular with the 60s fans - he won the club’s first ever Player of the Year vote.

that was my recollection - thanks for confirming my uncertain memory!

One I remember was at Portsmouth under big Joe in probably his 2nd or 3rd season. David Cross was up front that day and we were unbelieveably 4-0 up at half time. During the second half Portsmouth bombarded us and pulled a couple back before our keeper got injured. I can't remember who was in goal, but it was during Gorams reign so it could have been him. I thought Nick Sinclair went on goal that day though after reading the ThaiLatics post it could have been John Bowden so I stand to be corrected.

That Portsmouth result was one of the surprises of the season and we ended up hanging on to win 4-3. Thinking about it it must have been Royle's second season and Cross was signed after the sales of Atkinson, Ryan & Wylde. We went to Portsmounth having been given no chance.

Its amazing how you get results like lickle Owdham beating the mighty Pompey on their own turf. I mean how does it happen. I bet the Portsmouth fans were saying things like sack the manager, because they had been beaten by a minnow of the division eh LaticsNik. :grin:

The John Platt one was IIRC a night match. It was rare in those days, but I don't recall going to the game (there must have been a dam good reason!) so sorry I can't confirm who went in goal. But I will try and dig the information out.

Also remember a certain Harry Dowd breaking his hand at Port vale on New Years day 1974. Again can't recall who went in goal, although that could have been Whittle.

Cheers,

Harry

I recall that two outfield players played in that game after Goram went off.

why did john hallworth play up front?

Think it was in the days when teams could only name three subs, in about 1995.

This game was probably the best Latics performance I've seen at Selhurst Park - a definite bogey ground for us. We were two down at half time, but pulled the game back to 2-2, with goals from Vonk and Barlow (?). Think Garnett went off injured and we'd already used our two outfield subs, meaning Hallworth was the only option from the bench and Super Sean had to drop back into defence. I remember Hallworth nearly won it for us in the last minute, but put a free header over the bar.

A classic OASIS away day! Remember there was piles of snow round the edge of the pitch and because of the bad weather, very few Latics fans actually made it.

As has been said I remember Paul Gerrard taking an almighty whack to the eye, then Darren Beckford putting on the gloves (he actually did bloody well, and yes what a crap pen from Gerry Creaney, could have put my arse to the ball and farted and it would have moved faster than he kicked it).

It also happened with the opposition too in first game of 96/ 97 season, Ian Cranson had to go in net for Stoke for the last haf hour cos the goalie got injured after half an hour, then the sub goalie got injured just short of the hour.

This game was probably the best Latics performance I've seen at Selhurst Park - a definite bogey ground for us. We were two down at half time, but pulled the game back to 2-2, with goals from Vonk and Barlow (?). Think Garnett went off injured and we'd already used our two outfield subs, meaning Hallworth was the only option from the bench and Super Sean had to drop back into defence. I remember Hallworth nearly won it for us in the last minute, but put a free header over the bar.

A classic OASIS away day! Remember there was piles of snow round the edge of the pitch and because of the bad weather, very few Latics fans actually made it.

Yeah, I remember that one. December 1995 I think. Grimly cold and didn't Palace go back up that season too?

Had a particularly heavy session post match at Yates Wine Lodge in Croydon I think and stayed overnight in the Smoke. Messy.

Stevie Remond got the other goal mate (Vonk the other - was desperate for us to sign him, just what we needed a commanding centre-half) YEp, Jonny was named as sub as he was the only other fit player we had - and yes he put a free header over bar!

As has been said I remember Paul Gerrard taking an almighty whack to the eye, then Darren Beckford putting on the gloves (he actually did bloody well, and yes what a crap pen from Gerry Creaney, could have put my arse to the ball and farted and it would have moved faster than he kicked it).

It also happened with the opposition too in first game of 96/ 97 season, Ian Cranson had to go in net for Stoke for the last haf hour cos the goalie got injured after half an hour, then the sub goalie got injured just short of the hour.

Yeah and we still bleedin' lost, two goals disallowed.............Uriah bleedin' Rennie! *

* Althogh despite his inability to give the most nailed on pen EVER at Upton Park in '02, he is something of a giant-killing lucky charm for us, having officiated in both the West Ham Carling cup games and THAT game at Goodison!

ps "Gerry Creaney, could have put my arse to the ball and farted and it would have moved faster than he kicked it." :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Size of Creaney's arse, perhaps that's what he should have done. However, was his pen worse than Sharp's v Leeds live on Sky............discuss....