The Most Frustrating Latics Season/Team...

Every season in L1? Maybe not, for instance the lads did us proud against City when we beat them 2-1 to save ourselves from the drop - exciting finish to a disappointing season yes, frustrated with the perfomances? Didn't expect anything more that year.

For me I was frusted with the "Porter" 06/07 season, OAFC assembled a balanced team capable of workhorse performances - seen only to gas-out and stumble in the last quarter of the season. Then the crowning glory: beaten comfortably by an in-form Blackpool who rose from nowhere to promotion. Very frustrated...

Whats yours?

Every season in L1? Maybe not, for instance the lads did us proud against City when we beat them 2-1 to save ourselves from the drop - exciting finish to a disappointing season yes, frustrated with the perfomances? Didn't expect anything more that year.

For me I was frusted with the "Porter" 06/07 season, OAFC assembled a balanced team capable of workhorse performances - seen only to gas-out and stumble in the last quarter of the season. Then the crowning glory: beaten comfortably by an in-form Blackpool who rose from nowhere to promotion. Very frustrated...

Whats yours?

Must admit that one is probably mine as well... Followed closely by the Dowie promotion push season...

86/87

Playoffs, Leeds at home

Can still see Goram on the Chaddy fence cheering before.....................................still have the nightmares

agreed one of the reasons why i have realy enjoyed the last two visits to bellendroad

For me it would have to be season 93/94

The realisation that the dream of playing in the top flight was over and we were powerless to halt our slide,

Being minutes away from our 1st FA Cup Final appearance..knowing this was (probably) our last chance to make history.

Singing "Always look on the bright side of life" in the last minutes of the game to thousands of reds and then having

it cruelly snatched from our grasp.

=======================================================================

The realisation that the dream of playing in the top flight was over and we were powerless to halt our slide,

Being minutes away from our 1st FA Cup Final appearance..knowing this was (probably) our last chance to make history.

Singing "Always look on the bright side of life" in the last minutes of the game to thousands of reds and then having

Yeah and having it sung back in our face as we walked around Wembley!

Absolutely.

A chance to appear in the FA Cup final taken so cruelly away - followed by a depressing and all too predictable slide to relegation when I knew in my head (if not my heart) that getting back to the top division may take decades (if ever) with the way money and football was going.

The 86/87 Play-offs were painful, but two seasons later and it was wiped out by even better success which followed.

Dowie play-offs were painful as well - but I'd have to say that we went toe to toe with a good QPR side and were just edged out in a fair contest by one goal.

The Blackpool play-offs - yes frustrating, but the performances had gone off long before, so it was not a surprise.

The way that under Wadsworth and Sheriden we fell away at the end of the seasons to miss out on the Play-offs would be my 2nd and 3rd placed ones after the 93/94 season.

Would have to go for the season under Ronald. Signing Richie Wellens and watching Branston plant the ball 50 feet over his head was very frustrating Signing Luke Beckett and not using him or giving him any kind of service for the first half of the season. Turning up to games knowing we were going to not see anything memorable or interesting. The bad atmosphere round the club. I know we have been here before with this one but interms of frustration at what might of been that has to be the one atleast 93/94, 06/07 or 03/04 we were doing all we could the underachievement is the frustrating thing for me.

Would have to go for the season under Ronald. Signing Richie Wellens and watching Branston plant the ball 50 feet over his head was very frustrating Signing Luke Beckett and not using him or giving him any kind of service for the first half of the season. Turning up to games knowing we were going to not see anything memorable or interesting. The bad atmosphere round the club. I know we have been here before with this one but interms of frustration at what might of been that has to be the one atleast 93/94, 06/07 or 03/04 we were doing all we could the underachievement is the frustrating thing for me.

I concur. I can take the good times, I can take the bad times, but I certainly can't take Ronnie Moore.

As Basil Fawlty said, it’s not the despair you can’t stand, it’s the hope.

So true.

That is why I have voted the two seasons we failed to make the play-offs as 2nd and 3rd.

For the same reason I voted 93/94. I went to Wembley without much hope (only in my heart, not in my head anyway) but with the minutes and then seconds ticking away I somehow allowed myself to believe. That's why it hurt so much.

On a similar fashion the season before - 3 games to go, diddly squat chance of staying up and we go to Villa and win. Talk about mixed emotion - give the Reds the first title in a quater of a century and me hope. I was sure that it would be taken away from me....thankfully we did the impossible.

Can we please, PLEASE for the love of God, stop bringing that particular incident up?! :disappointed:

Dunno about team disappointments but if we are talking about an all time frustrating Latics 11 (in my time anyway) it would definitely include Andy Gorton (could have been THE best gk we ever had), Kevin Betsy and Craig Davies.

Anyone got suggestions for the other 8 positions?

In my time, it has to be the Dowie team.

Wonderfully brilliant and agonisingly frustrating all at the same time. I really, really thought we were going to get promoted and almost cried when QPR beat us in the playoffs. Getting beaten again by Blackpool comes a close second.

Too young to remember the F.A. Cup exploits with any clarity apart from being surrounded by a lot of tall people.

I'm too young to remember 86/87 so that's out, and the playoffs in this division were something I could take as we didn't have the squad to last in the division above. At the time my most frustrating season was that 93/94 one when that incident happened and from then on we were in trouble. Personally I was singing where's your double gone (as they were making a big deal of their treble earlier in the season and we took the :censored: out of that earlier in the game).

In hindsight, which is always 20/20, however, I'm going to have to pick 89/90. I know we went on an amazing cup run twice and did something that I don't think will ever been seen again (getting so far in boths cups from below the top league), but we had one of the best teams in the country but were playing in the 2nd division. I'd now swap almost anything since, including us not drawing to that volley (and some of the stuff before) if it meant we beat Man U in that semi (I'd have taken getting beat 7-0 by the Hammers in the 2nd leg or loosing to Scarbrough earlier on). As I think we paid the price for being too successful and our fixture back-log at the end of the season meant we finished outside the play-offs (nevermind automatic). The season after although we won the division on the last kick the top 3 (and top 3 plus one went up that year) were fairly well clear. In the top flight that year only 2 went down and with our squad and the plastic I couldn't see that being us so we had a year less in the top flight than we should have.

Nevermind what beating Man U then would have done for them and I'm sorry but there is no way they'd be as smug as they are now (and less knowledgeable about their history) if we had won the semi in 90. Plus I bet we'd be doing a lot better.

I think we paid the price for being too successful and our fixture back-log at the end of the season meant we finished outside the play-offs (nevermind automatic). The season after although we won the division on the last kick the top 3 (and top 3 plus one went up that year) were fairly well clear. In the top flight that year only 2 went down and with our squad and the plastic I couldn't see that being us so we had a year less in the top flight than we should have.

Sorry fella, I just don't equate that period between 1989 and 1991 with 'frustration' in any way, shape or form. Even just missing out on the play-offs in 1989-90 was met with an 'Oh well' all around the club because we'd massively over-achieved as it was. We gave it a super shot but we played so many games that season and I'd not swap that for anything in the world, not even an 'extra' year in the top flight.

The best thing we ever did was to keep the core of that fantastic team together. OK, we lost Irwin, (we had more than able back-up with Earl Barrett) and Mike Milligan, but added pure quality in the way of Jobbo (Possibly THE player of 1990-91), Gunner Halle (mid-season) and Paul Kane (Who actually was a decent player who was generally held in reserve to Nicky Henry and Redders). I think deep down most Latics fans knew we were a shrewd bet for promotion this time round, especially after the revelation of Ian Marshall as super striker after the opening game. In fact, we looked pretty light up front initially as Bunn had retired through injury at the end of the 'pinch me'.

No, I equate frustration completely and utterly with Ronnie Moore's reign. I think it's fair to say we'd have gone down had he not come in when he did, albeit by a huge stroke of fortune and a tendancy to shoot ourselves in the foot when we had ample opportunities to save our skins without leaving it to the last game against Bradford. He was given a pretty generous budget by TTA which he used on quality and utter rubbish in equal measures. And followed it up by dishing out crude, ugly football which even though it kept us within a sniff of the play offs (with the help of two very strong runs of form) never had us seriously threatening the teams (Southend and Colchester) who went up in first and second. He's gone on to do practically the same thing the last two years at Tranmere as well as looking similar this season. What really made it insanely frustrating for me was how berift of real good teams that division had that season. It just had reasonably strong, consistant teams, but nothing on the firepower there is this season. I truly believe with the side we've assembled this season, and also Dowie's play-off side there's more than enough to storm the division that was that season.

Step forward, High Priest of Frustration; Ronald Moore.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Sorry fella, I just don't equate that period between 1989 and 1991 with 'frustration' in any way, shape or form. Even just missing out on the play-offs in 1989-90 was met with an 'Oh well' all around the club because we'd massively over-achieved as it was. We gave it a super shot but we played so many games that season and I'd not swap that for anything in the world, not even an 'extra' year in the top flight.

Absolutely. Quite possibly the best season I have ever had watching Latics.

Though I can understand the wish that it had been a little bit better with 2 Cup Finals, which could have resulted in the sacking of Fergie and seen the team from stretford continue to underachieve for another 2 decades.