The Most Frustrating Latics Season/Team...

Sorry fella, I just don't equate that period between 1989 and 1991 with 'frustration' in any way, shape or form. Even just missing out on the play-offs in 1989-90 was met with an 'Oh well' all around the club because we'd massively over-achieved as it was. We gave it a super shot but we played so many games that season and I'd not swap that for anything in the world, not even an 'extra' year in the top flight.

The best thing we ever did was to keep the core of that fantastic team together. OK, we lost Irwin, (we had more than able back-up with Earl Barrett) and Mike Milligan, but added pure quality in the way of Jobbo (Possibly THE player of 1990-91), Gunner Halle (mid-season) and Paul Kane (Who actually was a decent player who was generally held in reserve to Nicky Henry and Redders). I think deep down most Latics fans knew we were a shrewd bet for promotion this time round, especially after the revelation of Ian Marshall as super striker after the opening game. In fact, we looked pretty light up front initially as Bunn had retired through injury at the end of the 'pinch me'.

No, I equate frustration completely and utterly with Ronnie Moore's reign. I think it's fair to say we'd have gone down had he not come in when he did, albeit by a huge stroke of fortune and a tendancy to shoot ourselves in the foot when we had ample opportunities to save our skins without leaving it to the last game against Bradford. He was given a pretty generous budget by TTA which he used on quality and utter rubbish in equal measures. And followed it up by dishing out crude, ugly football which even though it kept us within a sniff of the play offs (with the help of two very strong runs of form) never had us seriously threatening the teams (Southend and Colchester) who went up in first and second. He's gone on to do practically the same thing the last two years at Tranmere as well as looking similar this season. What really made it insanely frustrating for me was how berift of real good teams that division had that season. It just had reasonably strong, consistant teams, but nothing on the firepower there is this season. I truly believe with the side we've assembled this season, and also Dowie's play-off side there's more than enough to storm the division that was that season.

Step forward, High Priest of Frustration; Ronald Moore.

Frankie actually retired in the autumn of 1991 during our first season back in the top-flight. As for being light up front I beg to differ. The dodger was a more than able deputy and of course we had Currie and Moulden in reserve ok they were gash but given the amount of games Stitch and Beastman missed they must have done summat right and of course in those days we had goals throughout the team!