Lee Hughes is up for sale £300k

Just been told that Hughes is for sale and were asking for £300k seriously hope this is not true and would love someone from the club to come and deny this. Also think that the "leak" regarding his contract clause could have been by someone inside the club deliberately to try to cash in especially if now we are only asking for £300k, i hope this isn't true but it has come from a very reliable source.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
why would we ask 300k if everybody knows its in his contract? "listen to offers" more likely. Who are all these so called very reliable sources that people quote and why are they so rarely right ?

In his contract it states £400K that is why I posted about off-loading more quickly ?

why would we ask 300k if everybody knows its in his contract? "listen to offers" more likely. Who are all these so called very reliable sources that people quote and why are they so rarely right ?

In his contract the figure was £400k so perhaps nobody is willing to pay this ?

My sources have been pretty much spot on the last few times, e.g Davies to Stockport, O'Grady out on loan and The whole episode regarding Chalmers.

Like i said i hope it isnt true and would love the club to deny this but its from a very reliable source who has no reason to lie about it and no motive for allowing it to be public knowledge.

When teams getting promoted stand to make £4m this season (due to championship tv money i think) we might aswell hold on to our best players and have a go at promotion as we know we are capable after all Hughes didnt cost us anything in the first place and he could also sign a new deal just so we could get cash for him next season instead of him going on a free.

Edited by Lordy

My sources have been pretty much spot on the last few times, e.g Davies to Stockport, O'Grady out on loan and The whole episode regarding Chalmers.

Like i said i hope it isnt true and would love the club to deny this but its from a very reliable source who has no reason to lie about it and no motive for allowing it to be public knowledge.

When teams getting promoted stand to make £4m this season (due to championship tv money i think) we might aswell hold on to our best players and have a go at promotion as we know we are capable after all Hughes didnt cost us anything in the first place and he could also sign a new deal just so we could get cash for him next season instead of him going on a free.

Fair enough. Times must be hard though if we need the cash that badly that he would be allowed to leave for such a relatively small sum.

When teams getting promoted stand to make £4m this season (due to championship tv money i think) we might aswell hold on to our best players and have a go at promotion .

As Barry Owen has said we are trying to keep Hughes, and there's 6 weeks till the end of any transfer deadline , why try and tout him for less than the clause figure now? No matter what your sources, this sounds like a load of bull.

Theres more to 'Facebook' than you think :wink:

That could negatively effect his wage demands so i cannot see that happening.

That could negatively effect his wage demands so i cannot see that happening.

Think youre right there, i was just thinking of the Daniel Jones case, Mick McCarthy has told him he doesnt have a future there but didnt want him leaving on a free therefore made him sign a contract or he wasnt going to allow him to go out on loan. Although with Hughesy i dont think its the same. As there is nothing we can do to make him sign for us really due to our position financially.

Guest oa_exile
Fair enough. Times must be hard though if we need the cash that badly that he would be allowed to leave for such a relatively small sum.

*Cough* another Porter if we are not careful :wink:

*Cough* another Porter if we are not careful :wink:

so if this speculation is correct we are offering hughes at a cut price because he will not commit to another contract thus we end up with a porter situation. I hope very much this is not true. If it is then football really is a cynical business

if his release clause is 400k i very much doubt the club would be touting for anything less. it now seems to be common knowledge that if a club offers 400k we have to accept and barry owen has said the club WANT to keep lee.

if near the end of january lee is still with us and has not signed a new deal then we may listen to offers for less than 400k but to actually put it out there than we will accept anything less is bad business and just plane stupid.

and i dont think that tta are stupid.

Guest oa_exile
so if this speculation is correct we are offering hughes at a cut price because he will not commit to another contract thus we end up with a porter situation. I hope very much this is not true. If it is then football really is a cynical business

Like you I dont know Eddy but I can only "read between the lines" of Lordy's post, TTA must be :censored: scared on losing out on a fee again though :(

I can now confirm that the £400k business was a load of bollocks made up by Alan Hardy as i suspected. Just an attempt to get more money for him, the club are looking for £300k for him so who know we could even end up losing him for less that £300k.

Edited by Lordy

Just been told that Hughes is for sale and were asking for £300k seriously hope this is not true and would love someone from the club to come and deny this. Also think that the "leak" regarding his contract clause could have been by someone inside the club deliberately to try to cash in especially if now we are only asking for £300k, i hope this isn't true but it has come from a very reliable source.

I agree with what has been said that Hughes has stated his intention to leave. Maybe the club have offered him a new deal and he has said not good enough, or he is not willing to consider a new deal and wants to move to a championship club.

However, at 300k, that is bound to increase interest, and I would wager that one of the interested clubs would still think sod it we ar ebidding the 400k to fend off interest from other clubs

That's what i love about latics. the constant stream of encouraging news. Whilst I can see the reasoning it is the fact that sometimes football seems to have nothing to do with sport and all to do with money that makes me wonder why i bother. If this source/leak is genuine, couldn't at least he/she have kept their gob shut until after christmas. It is this kind of thing that causes such cynicism and apathy about latics to the non-believers and fallers by the wayside. It p**ses me off that whenever there is cause for cautious optimism with latics there is inevitably some bad news to offset it, or failing that, an "injury crisis"

Rant over bored today. Wil be there with me scarf on Sat

"IF" this is true then he must have made his intentions clear that he wants to :censored: off as the club will want to cash in quickly before he can go for nowt.

Interesting that, because just before Lordy posted his original thoughts I'd been talking to a bloke I know who seems to know one or two of the powers that be and has been known to be right occasionally in the past. His view is that Hughes has been told he won't be getting an extension to his contract as TTA consider him to be a bad influence on the younger players. That may be the reason we are looking for a fee for him now, (then again it might not)

That's what i love about latics. the constant stream of encouraging news. Whilst I can see the reasoning it is the fact that sometimes football seems to have nothing to do with sport and all to do with money that makes me wonder why i bother. If this source/leak is genuine, couldn't at least he/she have kept their gob shut until after christmas. It is this kind of thing that causes such cynicism and apathy about latics to the non-believers and fallers by the wayside. It p**ses me off that whenever there is cause for cautious optimism with latics there is inevitably some bad news to offset it, or failing that, an "injury crisis"

Rant over bored today. Wil be there with me scarf on Sat

I agree i was gutted when i heard this and i can see myself not bothering to go to some away games if we sell Hughes / Taylor as the club seems to lack any ambition what so ever and this story has just made me fed up, but thought i should let people know what is going on, i was as proud as anyone there on saturday with our comeback but take Hughes and Taylor out of that team and we'd have picked up f all from saturday aswell as several other occasions this season.

Interesting that, because just before Lordy posted his original thoughts I'd been talking to a bloke I know who seems to know one or two of the powers that be and has been known to be right occasionally in the past. His view is that Hughes has been told he won't be getting an extension to his contract as TTA consider him to be a bad influence on the younger players. That may be the reason we are looking for a fee for him now, (then again it might not)

With his history i would have thought that was a given.....

=======================================

The big question here is, are TTA prepared to gamble?

Take 3 / 400K now and, IMO, wave goodbye to the distinct possibility of Championship football next year.

Or keep hold of Hughes for the rest of the season, risking that transfer fee on the hope Hughes contributions would be the difference between going up or staying down.

It has been made public that the club would like to keep him, what we do not know is wether Hughes himself wants to stay.

If he wants to go, there is no option but to sell.

Facts are ... he as a clause that says he can leave before the end of his contract for a bid of 400K is recieved and he wants to go, we have to accept the bid as it's part of his deal.

He has an agent now, who released this clause... and he's now priced himself out of Latics range. So I don't expect the club to offer him a contract full stop ... we can't afford him.

I suspect if someone comes in with a bid of 300K we may let him go, 300K is better than nothing because that is what we get when his contract runs out. but someone still needs to make an offer.

I've already got over the fact that he will not finish the season with us, hopefully he'll go early in the transfer window giving us time to use the money wisely.

A player of Hughes ability was always a bonus for Latics, if he leaves it hardly shows a lack of ambition from the club.