Lee Hughes is up for sale £300k

The big question here is, are TTA prepared to gamble?

Take 3 / 400K now and, IMO, wave goodbye to the distinct possibility of Championship football next year.

Or keep hold of Hughes for the rest of the season, risking that transfer fee on the hope Hughes contributions would be the difference between going up or staying down.

It has been made public that the club would like to keep him, what we do not know is wether Hughes himself wants to stay.

If he wants to go, there is no option but to sell.

Hang on, if it's been made public that the club want to keep him, how come astottie's telling us that TTA have told him he wont be getting an extension cos he's a bad influence on the younger players?

Also, didn't Hughes allegedly say (can't remember where I saw it posted/heard it) that he wouldn't ask to go, cos the club had been good to him since his release from prison?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Facts are ... he as a clause that says he can leave before the end of his contract for a bid of 400K is recieved and he wants to go, we have to accept the bid as it's part of his deal.

He doesn't have that a £400k release clause though.

So if he goes hes basically used latics and a get out of jail card. He needs to take a look at himself and think i owe the club why am i leaving, im not greedy i was earning 10p a week for cleaning toilets in prison so my current wage of £1800 a week is good enough, im 32 settled in the area, the fans like me, whereas if i moved the whole debate about me re-opens with another set of fans..... be sensible and re sign lee

Theres more to 'Facebook' than you think :wink:

May i state....That after my pm facility has just gone into overdrive,I have never and will never be a 'Facebooker',

I was just implying that Hughes(along with other players) has a facebook page.

And some people on this board,MIGHT stalk players on 'facebook',and take comments out of context,and thus putting 2 and 2 together making 5.

Sorry if anybody wanted any gossip on mr Hughes,i don't have any.

:pimp::shock: However i do have some about a young lady who lives on my street :naughty::naughty:

He doesn't have that a £400k release clause though.

According to your source he doesn't ... mine say's he does.

Dan, people at the club want to keep him ... but there's TTA, Barry, Hardy etc .... do they all want to keep him ???

Who knows? Do TTA need to agree on all decisons or does someone take the lead and make the final choice ?

Unlike the some of the latics players on facebook Hughes doesn't strike me as the type to put things on there that would not be in the clubs interest. E.g Eardley facebooking at about 2am the night before a game whinging about being on the bench.

So if he goes hes basically used latics and a get out of jail card. He needs to take a look at himself and think i owe the club why am i leaving, im not greedy i was earning 10p a week for cleaning toilets in prison so my current wage of £1800 a week is good enough, im 32 settled in the area, the fans like me, whereas if i moved the whole debate about me re-opens with another set of fans..... be sensible and re sign lee

I think he already got out of jail!

Ignoring the comment about him being a 'bad influence' within the club, Latics need to be sensible on this one.

1) He can go for a pre-determined contractual fee - that has always been the deal

2) While the financial rewards of promotion are of value, these are usually swallowed up in higher players wages, not profit.

3) If selling Hughes means keeping in business and retaining Taylor, it's a no brainer.

I would personally wish him well whatever the outcome - I suspect the club has more to do with the current situation than Lee Hughes. But he has a duty to his family to get the best for them out of the postion the relative parties now find themselves in.

I think he already got out of jail!

Ignoring the comment about him being a 'bad influence' within the club, Latics need to be sensible on this one.

1) He can go for a pre-determined contractual fee - that has always been the deal

2) While the financial rewards of promotion are of value, these are usually swallowed up in higher players wages, not profit.

3) If selling Hughes means keeping in business and retaining Taylor, it's a no brainer.

I would personally wish him well whatever the outcome - I suspect the club has more to do with the current situation than Lee Hughes. But he has a duty to his family to get the best for them out of the postion the relative parties now find themselves in.

like ive said previously it would be sensible to offer him a 1 year deal with a release clause if we fail to win promotion, that way everyones a winner

Regarding money, i'm sure he was on around £10,000 a week at WBA and Cov. He isnt going to be earning anywere near that wherever he goes so i wouldnt have thought an extra £2-3k for a couple of season would mean that to someone like Hughes bearing in mind he would have to move to a new area etc unless he went to a midlands club i suppose.

can we just remember this is all speculation.

not saying your source is not good lordy, but he seems to know alot about oldham players contracts that have not been released in the public domain.

can anyone say for sure that hughes wants to leave?

have we offered him a contacr ourselves?

can we be sure he is a bad influence?

im not saying anyones wrong, but it does seem everytime someone has a source about 10 other stories appear that never look promising for the club.

in reality lee owes us nothing, a number of clubs could have signed him when he left prison.

this has been a cut throat business for a number of years and the all mighty dollar rules it.

half the fans on here dont think we will go up with hughes and taylor so maybe lee doesnt either and if he can get one last good contract at a higher level then so be it.

on the other hand we may need to sell le to keep taylor, the tta will make the right choice for the business at the end of the day.

like most i hope they both stay, but if either leave i wont blame tta.

keep the faith and stop listening to rumours they drive oldham fans mad and its going to be a long month.

Things such as "bad influence and we want rid", Hughes saying "he won't ask to leave" etc are all rumour and speculation. We don't even know if this £300k story is true, but we can assume for specualtion's sake it is.

What we know is:

- Contract runs out in the Summer

- He has a £400k release clause

- The club have stated they want to keep him

Possible scenario:

We wanted to keep him, and have made offer(s). However it has become increasingly clear that our offer and his/his agents demands are too far apart and cannot be bridged.

Since it became public about the £400k clause there has been no interest. The club have therefore decided that £300k now would be better than nowt in the summer and will let him go for less than the clause.

Of couse from a supporters/managers point of view we'd all want the club to Twist and see if keeping Lee until June = Championship football. And I'd guess in some respects TTA feel the same.

But they have also got to balance the books somewhat. The balance could be Hughes out = keep Taylor. And they hope that Shez can bring in another forward on a free and perhaps put a bit extra in to the wages over what Hughes was on. This might still = Championship football.

Of course there are other scenarios - but if Lee does go, then so be it. Hope that its in the best interests of the club and that Shez can still pull a rabbit out of the hat with another forward - or Davies/O Grady/Alice start to find the net regularly.

Hang on, if it's been made public that the club want to keep him, how come astottie's telling us that TTA have told him he wont be getting an extension cos he's a bad influence on the younger players?

Also, didn't Hughes allegedly say (can't remember where I saw it posted/heard it) that he wouldn't ask to go, cos the club had been good to him since his release from prison?

The club, through Barry Owen on these forums, have stated that they want to keep hold of Hughes.

Through a third party "a-bloke-I-know-who-seems-to-know-one-or-two-of-the-powers-that-be-and-has-been-known-to-be-right-occasionally" has sad he will not be offered a new deal.

Rightly or wrongly, I have a tendancy to believe the former over the later.

The fact you cannot remember where you heard an alleged Hughes quote speaks volumes.

If he wanted to and intended to stay here, this speculation could be nipped in the bud with a 5 minute press conference.