FAO Barry Owen & Oldham Athletic

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've never come out and denied the £400k clause after it was published in the chron.

I'm sorry, but you can't say that. That's an appeal to ignorance. I think the burden of proof lies with you I'm afraid, one cannot provide somewhat flimsy evidence so far, and then claim that another party has lied due to that evidence. You are saying that OAFC haven't denied the fact, so it must be true that they have lied to us, which is a logical fallacy.

Barry said that the club wanted to keep Hughes. That’s not the same as saying they would do anything to keep him, including turning down offers. It might be that he said that knowing that the two sides were miles apart in terms of the numbers they were talking about and there was no realistic chance of Hughes staying, which isn’t a lie but is a sneaky politician’s answer. Or maybe they are still negotiating and it’s all looking like we might keep him, who knows? Hardy did confirm the existence of the clause in the Bison I think so the club are on record with that one.

Barry said that the club wanted to keep Hughes. That’s not the same as saying they would do anything to keep him, including turning down offers. It might be that he said that knowing that the two sides were miles apart in terms of the numbers they were talking about and there was no realistic chance of Hughes staying, which isn’t a lie but is a sneaky politician’s answer. Or maybe they are still negotiating and it’s all looking like we might keep him, who knows? Hardy did confirm the existence of the clause in the Bison I think so the club are on record with that one.

its like big sam has reportedly accepted the job on the grounds that the club keep roque santa cruz......however if an offer of 20 million came in he would be off to help fund big sams january spending.....

the club can come out ans say that we as a club have no intentions of selling lee hughes or any other of our current first team,but if a ridiculous offer was made for one of our players,we would have to seriously look at it.....

sadly for us its economics..were out of every cup this season with no extra income to be generated...the only extra is from the leeds tv game...so we have to cover our running costs....

i dont know what they are but im thinking along the lines of around 800k

if we sell hughes or he goes for the reported 300k were still 500k off,so maybe another would be sold.....

What are you trying to acheive Lordy? We are a team and not one man, I don't think any business in the world considers laying all their plans out to all their competitors to be prudent business practice. Why don't we let TTA get on with what they are doing and judge them on their results, not what is just a load of hearsay.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

What are you trying to acheive Lordy? We are a team and not one man, I don't think any business in the world considers laying their all their plans out to all their competitors to be prudent business practice. Why don't we let TTA get on with what they are doing and judge them on their results, not what is just a load of hearsay.

do you not realise jimsleftfoot if lee hughes is sold then oldham athletic as we know will come to an end.

i for one after watching for over 20 years will never enter boundary park again if we sell.

the way the tta have have not said anyhing.......bloody liers

we all know our reliable sources are always on the money with these rumours

do you not realise jimsleftfoot if lee hughes is sold then oldham athletic as we know will come to an end.

i for one after watching for over 20 years will never enter boundary park again if we sell.

we all know our reliable sources are always on the money with these rumours

:popcorn2:

isnt it a fact that any player who is in the last 6 months of there contract are allowed to talk to other clubs at some point in january???

i dont think there is a clause in his contract...i think at the time of signing he was just grateful to be given a chance to play football again.

and considering how he has conducted himself since being here and the good rapour he enjoys with the fans,i reckon if someone did come in with a cash offer he would rather leave that way giving something back to the club rather than just walking away at the end of the season for nothing saying he tried his best.....

i also dont think the club is duty bound to inform fans of everything there doing and every rumour we hear....but i do think if there is a momentum building rumour regarding our best striker at the club,that a simple statement could be made....along the lines of..."we have heard recent rumours regarding lee hughes,as a club we would like to say that lee hughes is an oldham player and doing his job helping us to go for promotion" or something like that.

He can speak to any clubs outside of England and Wales after the 31st of December 2008.

He can speak to any clubs outside of England and Wales after the 31st of December 2008.

so lordy does this mean, if hughes is sold in january for an undisclosed fee .

baring in mind the rumours been going round for months

that you will come out and claim your source was correct and the club are a bunch of liers?

or can we assume the tta have done whats good for business?

Give over.

Oh come on....

Logical fallacy, a lack of evidence by itself is no evidence.

The only thing the TTA would be lying about is telling us they want nothing more than promotion - if they sell Lee Hughes, the simple fact is you dont sell your best striker if you are going for promotion (or your best winger for that matter) fair enough we are a selling club and we will be for a long time yet, attendencies are down, the credit crunch etc but everyone knows if we go up theres a lot more money in the championship, attendencies will rise etc surely the business brains of the TTA know this!! Whats the point in taking a step forward then 2 back?? The only way they will lie to us is by selling Lee Hughes (and chris taylor) but then blab on about they want promotion!!!

Guest sheridans_world
The only thing the TTA would be lying about is telling us they want nothing more than promotion - if they sell Lee Hughes, the simple fact is you dont sell your best striker if you are going for promotion (or your best winger for that matter) fair enough we are a selling club and we will be for a long time yet, attendencies are down, the credit crunch etc but everyone knows if we go up theres a lot more money in the championship, attendencies will rise etc surely the business brains of the TTA know this!! Whats the point in taking a step forward then 2 back?? The only way they will lie to us is by selling Lee Hughes (and chris taylor) but then blab on about they want promotion!!!

Wrong.

Its not as black and white as that.

They do only want promotion, but that cant be a 'Chris M**re' throw everything at it, get a girl knocked up and leave the club up the creek without a paddle.

There has to be rationale with anything.

Its a difficult one with Hughes ... as ive said before we wouldnt be selling him for the money alone, wed be selling him because he`s out of contract in the summer and will walk for nothing ... which (sensibly) the TTA do not want. If we sell Taylor it`s different, we hold the cards and id like to see him kept until atleast the summer ... but its not as black and white as you paint with Hughes .. if he dosent want to sign a new contract then the club will lose alot come the summer.

so lordy does this mean, if hughes is sold in january for an undisclosed fee .

baring in mind the rumours been going round for months

that you will come out and claim your source was correct and the club are a bunch of liers?

or can we assume the tta have done whats good for business?

At least get your spelling sorted out pal. I would find out how much we had sold him for before coming to any conclusions.

Edited by Lordy