FAO Barry Owen & Oldham Athletic

Guest sheridans_world
Atleast get your spelling sorted out pal. I will find out how much we sold him for before coming to any conclusions.

At least get your grammar sorted. You missed a space between 'at' and 'least'.

We havent sold him yet, so how will you find out how much we have sold him for?!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my point is £300k or £400k would be a small price to pay for chamionship football do you not think? and surely there business brains would realise this! if they sell they are liars wanting promotion for us, nobody in that side will score as many as Lee Hughes fair enough the money will be available for a new striker but how long will he take to settle in? By that time we will be out of the race - what is the point for £300k or £400k??

Thats just it COME OUT AND TELL US if he doesnt want to sign a new deal then we all know where everyone stands and accepting an offer based on him not wanting to sign is acceptable. Instead we're stuck with hes not being offered a deal/tta want to sell/done deal to donny etc. Driving me nuts!!

And yes we are kissing goodbye to promotion by selling Hughes. We got him for nowt if he left for nowt at the end of the year then at least we'd know hes given us a fair chance of promotion, if we go up we benefit financially and the 300k is outweighed by greater champ income, we go up he leaves for more money - fair enough hes got us up, or we dont go up and he fairly leaves for a higher league - again cant argue with it.

But you dont throw your best chance of promotion away for the sake of 300k, sorry.

Atleast get your spelling sorted out pal. I will find out how much we sold him for before coming to any conclusions.

you could read it couldnt you?

you dont check your facts before you post, why should i check my speling?

this whole thread is based on rumour and your conclusions mate

Guest sheridans_world

I'd rather take the money than keep a player who is unhappy to the end of the season and then lose him for nothing.

Whats to say that the money we make from selling him might not be re-invested?

Thats just it COME OUT AND TELL US if he doesnt want to sign a new deal then we all know where everyone stands and accepting an offer based on him not wanting to sign is acceptable. Instead we're stuck with hes not being offered a deal/tta want to sell/done deal to donny etc. Driving me nuts!!

And yes we are kissing goodbye to promotion by selling Hughes. We got him for nowt if he left for nowt at the end of the year then at least we'd know hes given us a fair chance of promotion, if we go up we benefit financially and the 300k is outweighed by greater champ income, we go up he leaves for more money - fair enough hes got us up, or we dont go up and he fairly leaves for a higher league - again cant argue with it.

But you dont throw your best chance of promotion away for the sake of 300k, sorry.

Or you could have a horlicks and go to your happy place.

As fans, no you dont. But there businessman first and foremost .. they may see it differently, they may not, they may decide to take a risk and keep him and pin everything on promotion. That`s a big risk to take, as nothing in football is guaranteed. Hughes may well break his leg Feb 1st .. they`ve got to weigh these things up.

... but its not as black and white as you paint with Hughes .. if he dosent want to sign a new contract then the club will lose alot come the summer.

Why will the club lose a lot come the summer? Hughes hasn't cost them anything, other than the house they are putting him up in in Diggle or wherever, so it's not like we need to recoup a fee like we did with Porter.

Admittedly we will have lost the chance to cash in on Hughes in Jan, but what the gamble is - can his goals fire us to promotion, and is that gamble worthwhile to TTA.

being out of contract next summer, eva take the risk or give one of the best strikers in league 1 what he deserves - a new contract if they want promotion like they say its really not rocket science, the TTA have spent money to make money in the past so whats different with this??

Edited by creepy

Guest oa_exile
The only thing the TTA would be lying about is telling us they want nothing more than promotion - if they sell Lee Hughes, the simple fact is you dont sell your best striker if you are going for promotion (or your best winger for that matter) fair enough we are a selling club and we will be for a long time yet, attendencies are down, the credit crunch etc but everyone knows if we go up theres a lot more money in the championship, attendencies will rise etc surely the business brains of the TTA know this!! Whats the point in taking a step forward then 2 back?? The only way they will lie to us is by selling Lee Hughes (and chris taylor) but then blab on about they want promotion!!!

So TTA have to gamble on the following scenario's then ?

Keep Hughes here until the end of the season and hope that we get promotion, if not he leaves on a freebie as he wants Championship football.

Keep Hughes here against his wishes and he pisses about until the end of his contract, not giving 100%

Probably would lose him anyway in the summer as his wages we could not afford, Div 1 or Championship.

Lose potentially £300K - £400K in the process.

A serious question : What would you do ?

Guest sheridans_world
being out of contract next summer eva take the risk or give one of the best strikers in league 1 what he deserves if you want promotion like they say its really not rocket science, the TTA have spent money to make money in the past so whats different with this??

300k/400k plus the saving of Hughes wage means we can buy a new player.

They have said many times proceeds from player sales will be reinvested in the team. I doubt that Shez has spent all of the Trotman money yet.

Guest sheridans_world
If we have to keep selling our best players surely we should be looking for new investors. TTA clearly have the money so why not invest abit more in to the club or get new investors in.

I cant believe you have said that.

Beggars belief.

troll.jpg

Can somebody at the club please tell us what the hell is going on with Lee Hughes? i have all these cyber friends who keep making up stories saying the ginger one is about to leave, please inform the masses that this is not so and there reliable sources are there imaginary friends who are intent on making us long suffering fans :censored: ourselves once more.

If it is Lee who is asking for more money im sure we can sort his wages from the sale of Neal Eardley, (who my relaible source told me was leaving in January for 1.5 million to Wolves). :wink:

Wrong.

Its not as black and white as that.

They do only want promotion, but that cant be a 'Chris M**re' throw everything at it, get a girl knocked up and leave the club up the creek without a paddle.

There has to be rationale with anything.

Plus a hell of alot which we didnt have!!!!

Fact is,

- Times are hard everywhere

- Hughes can leave for free in the summer

- The club is losing 15k a week.

A club our size cannot achieve promotion by gambling huge sums of money on big players, hoping it will come off. The likes of millwall and brighton, whom are also in this division, are losing a hell of alot more money than that. For how much longer they can sustain them losses I dont know.

As good as hughes is, 400k for a 32 year old striker who we got on a free isnt a bad bit of business at all, and many people seem to forget if he has a clause in his contract, if that clause is met, the matter is out of Oldham Athletics hands.

And I would also wager the fact we included such a clause was one of the reasons he signed for us

If we have to keep selling our best players surely we should be looking for new investors. TTA clearly have the money so why not invest abit more in to the club or get new investors in.

.... looking forward to sitting back an watching the responce to this one :popcorn2: That as to be your best post mate :grin:

I will offer a prize for the best responce.... but be nice (well sort of)

Guest sheridans_world
I think he`s just trying to get bites now, either that or he is seriously, well and truly deluded .... Ive taken to just ignoring his posts now. Actually, is there an ignore button on here does anyone know? :grin:

My Controls >> Manage Ignored users (down the left hand side) >> then type the user name and click 'update ignored users'.

Really cant believe you have said that,

I will point a few things out to you

1) TTA as they have said themselves on many occasions do not have an endless pot of money

2) TTA are not taking the Chris Moore approach by chucking money at it and hoping it will work. They are trying to turn Oldham Athletic into a self sustainable business, and considering the losses at one point were a hell of alot more than 15k a week, id say their doing a bloody good job so far