FAO Barry Owen & Oldham Athletic

Who buys a football club to make money though ? Almost impossible to make any profit. So what do they expect ? £15k a week seems reasonable for 3 wealthy business men.

They never said they were buying it to make money, they said they wanted to make the club self sufficient, as in not reliant on their money to keep going, which at the moment, we still are.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling Eardley would be the ideal solution.

Ahh, yes, the old unknown sub-clause in the FA rules stating "IF you sell your right back, automatically no team will be interested in buying your strikers or wingers" ...

Fantastic... someone call Alan Hardy...

Who buys a football club to make money though ? Almost impossible to make any profit. So what do they expect ? £15k a week seems reasonable for 3 wealthy business men.

I don't think they ever expected to buy the football club to make money, as has been ststed they only ever wanted to make it self sufficient. They bought the land around the football club to make the money, but due to the dilly dallying of the council and/or the global economic crisis that's not gonna happen. So st the moment, they're just stuck with a fottball club that loses £15K a week.

Scunthorpe replace quality with quality though. Sharp out Beckford in. Keogh out Hooper in. May be we should put our physio in charge.

A relatively uninformed post. Beckford was a complete unknown and not deemed good enough by Leeds during their relegation fight, he came from nowhere really at Scunthorpe. Not to mention that he was Keogh's replacement, not Sharp. Sharp stayed until the end of the season, when Beckford left too.

Hooper seems to have matured a bit too at Scunthorpe. He scored a beautiful goal against us when he was at Orient, but was gashtastic for the rest of his time there. A modest record on loan at L2 Hereford followed before he tore up L1 at the start of the season.

Whislt Scunthorpe I'm sure have a good scouting network, they have been rather lucky on the striker front. Not to mention the fact we have one of the best lower league strikers in the last few years at BP on loan at the moment.

Obviously people are going to question my statement, but can also understand that i cant reveal my source. Like i have said i will try to see what i can find out this weekend. Corney's LW interview seems pretty much standard response and everything you would expect.

Obviously people are going to question my statement, but can also understand that i cant reveal my source.

Ah i see .. you mean your mates dads, brother who works with this guy who talks to a women at the local butty shop whos husband talks to some drunk in the local pub .. that kind of source? Or the HP variety?

Obviously people are going to question my statement, but can also understand that i cant reveal my source. Like i have said i will try to see what i can find out this weekend. Corney's LW interview seems pretty much standard response and everything you would expect.

Put it this way, come January 31st, you are either going to look like a complete arse, or alot of people on here will owe you an apology

Ah i see .. you mean your mates dads, brother who works with this guy who talks to a women at the local butty shop whos husband talks to some drunk in the local pub .. that kind of source? Or the HP variety?

People on here know i have sources in football, so should people who don't know me by my track record of 'predicting things' to do with signings etc. So go ahead and give it the trademark mums dads brother routine, if you think it makes you look big and clever.

Who cares if hes wants to go or not he's useless yet some people rate him. SELL SELL SELL

Ok you say he's useless .... care to explain how / why you have come to this conclusion. If you going to come out with statements like this .... back it up with facts. :towork:

Put it this way, come January 31st, you are either going to look like a complete arse, or alot of people on here will owe you an apology

Like i said originally my source informs me that Hughes has no such clause in his contract, so whether he goes or stays won't really prove whether he did indeed have this clause, i suppose the only way i could be proved to be correct would be if he went for over £400k but any fee is likely to be undisc. anyway. However if the club settles for a fee around the £300k this would support my claim that the club has been offering him for this amount.

Ok you say he's useless .... care to explain how / why you have come to this conclusion. If you going to come out with statements like this .... back it up with facts. :towork:

IMO he isnt worth £250k plus. and i think most people would agree with that, therefore anything more that that i think we should take, that and also he is a right back and therefore doesnt have a major role and wouldnt disrupt things too much as well as him only being a sub.

I can't believe once more that certain people on this forum are questioning TTA motives. If you go onto the website and listen to his Christmas Blog it is probably the most honest interview you're ever likely to hear.

How many chairman are willing to come on their website and be as open and honest as Simon Corney?

It's blindingly obvious TTA have the best interests of the club at heart and instead of taking silly rumours for granted, get behind the club and the owners 100%!!!!!

Like Simon says if Hughes and or Taylor go it will have been the players decision, and they will go only if it's right for the club, every player has a value especially at a club that is loosing money!

He goes on to say that even if they both stay there could still be money made available to Shez for players in the window.....Unbelievable!!! ..and that's on crowds of under 6000!!!

Come on for Christ's sake get real..... we've got brilliant owners and should be very, very, thankful for that!!!!

Somebody on here said we are loosing 15K a week....That's not the case and is the amount we were loosing when TTA first arrived.

People on here know i have sources in football, so should people who don't know me by my track record of 'predicting things' to do with signings etc. So go ahead and give it the trademark mums dads brother routine, if you think it makes you look big and clever.

It dosent make me feel big, nor infact clever ... i was just clarifying your source with you.

I can't believe once more that certain people on this forum are questioning TTA motives. If you go onto the website and listen to his Christmas Blog it is probably the most honest interview you're ever likely to hear.

How many chairman are willing to come on their website and be as open and honest as Simon Corney?

It's blindingly obvious TTA have the best interests of the club at heart and instead of taking silly rumours for granted, get behind the club and the owners 100%!!!!!

Like Simon says if Hughes and or Taylor go it will have been the players decision, and they will go only if it's right for the club, every player has a value especially at a club that is loosing money!

He goes on to say that even if they both stay there could still be money made available to Shez for players in the window.....Unbelievable!!! ..and that's on crowds of under 6000!!!

Come on for Christ's sake get real..... we've got brilliant owners and should be very, very, thankful for that!!!!

Somebody on here said we are loosing 15K a week....That's not the case and is the amount we were loosing when TTA first arrived.

Well said. I think the losses are now £15K per week as opposed to 50 K when TTA took over if I heard correctly

The way I see it is that I think we should cash our chips in - I would imagine there is a lot of truth in him looking to go. But I'm not sure where this clause in the contract has come from - probably all bollocks, so there's no point calling somebody a liar based on a figment of somebodies imagination.

Props to Lordy for getting the scoop, but there is no way we'll know the nitty-gritty of Hughes' contract unless it was leaked.

So there.

Time for some more banana!

355612-nubanana.gif

If the club thinks thats the best chance of getting over £300k for him, then yes.

The big hole in this theory Lordy is that if it was the agent who leaked about the clause in the first place, why wouldn't he say it was for 300k rather than 400k?