FAO Barry Owen & Oldham Athletic

The big hole in this theory Lordy is that if it was the agent who leaked about the clause in the first place, why wouldn't he say it was for 300k rather than 400k?

agreed, and how desperate are we to sell Hughes, if no bids come in for him at the 400k mark and we have any kind of ambition we should refuse to sell and carry as normal. Davies should bring in 150k and that should get us through this season financially.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

intresting reading but mostly hollow argument as you may expect people hear things from their "sources" and will stick up for them even though it cannot be proven if what they say is true (not saying the info is wrong but this info obviously must be taken with a pinch of salt).

The facts are that TTA do have genuine affection for the club but at the end of the day they are buisenessmen and will no doubt sell if the price is right, espeically considering the contract situation that Hughes finds himself in and as saddened as i would be if Hughes or Taylor did go life would go on.

Look around aty clubs in the same financial situation as us they have cashed in and rebuilt and that is the most sensible tact for someone running a buisness as TTA are

intresting reading but mostly hollow argument as you may expect people hear things from their "sources" and will stick up for them even though it cannot be proven if what they say is true (not saying the info is wrong but this info obviously must be taken with a pinch of salt).

The facts are that TTA do have genuine affection for the club but at the end of the day they are buisenessmen and will no doubt sell if the price is right, espeically considering the contract situation that Hughes finds himself in and as saddened as i would be if Hughes or Taylor did go life would go on.

Look around aty clubs in the same financial situation as us they have cashed in and rebuilt and that is the most sensible tact for someone running a buisness as TTA are

:chubb:

Spot on my friend!

Sell em, dont sell em... its all gravy....

400k good financial business for a guy who cost us nowt. TTA have every right to sell for that money if they want - it's their money keeping us afloat. Hughes wants to have a last go at a better level - fair enough. We want promotion - With Hughes' goals ideally - If not, let's hope Mr Shez has his scouts out currently looking for a barnstormer of a centre forward who is going to take his place. Let's keep all this in perspective folks and if he does go, at least the moaning gits who whinge about his petulant bookings will have had their way and not see any daft bookings from him again.

As fot TTA lying to us and all that gumph - behave y'self man.

Guest oa_exile
You don't think we could get a replacement of equal or greater value to the team for less than £54k a week?

Think you have forgot the "." inbetween the 5 and the 4 :wink:

You can't sell him, look at how many points he has won us, far more than any other player in recent time. I'd want £1 million at least.

:lol::wacko:

*cough* Porter *cough*

Unfortuntely you dont always get what you want....

... all I want is he scores his 20th goal for latics this season with a hat-trick at the gayfarm... then think thats about it.... :wink:

my point is £300k or £400k would be a small price to pay for chamionship football do you not think? and surely there business brains would realise this! if they sell they are liars wanting promotion for us, nobody in that side will score as many as Lee Hughes fair enough the money will be available for a new striker but how long will he take to settle in? By that time we will be out of the race - what is the point for £300k or £400k??

Thing is TTA and their business brains would not realise that. I think that, given a £300K offer after the Hudderfield game, they would realise they have the option of paying about £15k a game to have Lee Hughes on the pitch instead of Alles/COG/Mental for the remaining 22 games, about £13.5k if we made the play-off final (kerching......play-offs seem to be being ignored as possible further income this season). This is all assuming that he stays fit (which contrary to popular belief is a reasonable assumption), if he misses games his cost per game played increases swiftly.

Of course if £400K was offered remember TTA have to accept and it's up to Lee. Despite what Lordy says that's a given - the club would not lie about such a thing because it would surely all come out in the wash should any bids come in.

I love having Hughes, I think he's great to watch, he makes my team win and dare I say it I also enjoy the atmosphere he often helps create along with the attention he brings us. I also think that with him we can go up, and reap the benefits. Even a failed play-off campaign would make a few quid, although I expect that as a minimum with or without Hughes. For these reasons I say we keep him clauses/bids permitting. Ideally get him on a year extension - give him a Championship wage. If we don't up I'm sure somebody would still take a punt on him in the summer if we needed rid, even if it was only whichever 'big club' is in League 1. If he won't sign keep him anyway and go for it...he'd stay commited he's one of the most enthusiastic players I've seen and he could still take his pay-day in July.

Having said all that we don't know what's going on. It's a nervous game of wait and see, which is all part of the fun! :unsure:

For these reasons I say we keep him clauses/bids permitting. Ideally get him on a year extension - give him a Championship wage. If we don't up I'm sure somebody would still take a punt on him in the summer if we needed rid, even if it was only whichever 'big club' is in League 1. If he won't sign keep him anyway and go for it...he'd stay commited he's one of the most enthusiastic players I've seen and he could still take his pay-day in July.

Having said all that we don't know what's going on. It's a nervous game of wait and see, which is all part of the fun! :unsure:

We were all :censored:ting it last season as well, it's the cost of being a club punching above the weight of our fan base unfortunately.

The other point - I think Lee probably figures that he will get a better deal now from a club who are up to their necks in trouble or seeing the chance of pushing on with his help than he will in the summer when people have time to look around and see what they can get. That's what we are up against.

We were all :censored:ting it last season as well, it's the cost of being a club punching above the weight of our fan base unfortunately.

The other point - I think Lee probably figures that he will get a better deal now from a club who are up to their necks in trouble or seeing the chance of pushing on with his help than he will in the summer when people have time to look around and see what they can get. That's what we are up against.

Is Hughes in a position to be that ruthless though? With his history he might be best off sticking with where he's settled especially if Latics did pay him more. If he goes inti the Championship it's all over Sky Sports News again, all new grounds to visit, Coventry? He also moves to a new area, or stays round here and no doubt get's stick of Latics fans. I suppose it's largely up to Lee, and Barry has come on here and made a point of saying he wants to stay. Not to jump on the bandwagon but I heard from a reliable (to me) source a couple of months ago that Hughesy was keen to sign a new deal but hadn't been offered one. Not sure what rumours suggesting he wants to leave have been published but I reckon he loves it here, likes being the big fish I reckon. :)

I wonder if West Brom would take a punt on him? Might sound daft but he'd be dirt cheap to sit on their bench! :lol:

Is Hughes in a position to be that ruthless though? With his history he might be best off sticking with where he's settled especially if Latics did pay him more. If he goes inti the Championship it's all over Sky Sports News again, all new grounds to visit, Coventry? He also moves to a new area, or stays round here and no doubt get's stick of Latics fans. I suppose it's largely up to Lee, and Barry has come on here and made a point of saying he wants to stay. Not to jump on the bandwagon but I heard from a reliable (to me) source a couple of months ago that Hughesy was keen to sign a new deal but hadn't been offered one. Not sure what rumours suggesting he wants to leave have been published but I reckon he loves it here, likes being the big fish I reckon. :)

I wonder if West Brom would take a punt on him? Might sound daft but he'd be dirt cheap to sit on their bench! :lol:

I have heard from an extremely good source that Baggie Bird would love to see him back :wink: I can't say too much, but he is a bird, and not an Owl.

I don't think LH would give a :censored: about the reception he would face. Swapping the New Den for Coventry, take your pick. Most fans have been reasonably mature about it and the news agenda has moved on. And I wish the area where he lives was so full of Latics die-hards that he couldn't stay there after a move, but I dare say he would be able to see it through if his new club meant a move.

Lets face it, there will be reasons for him to stay, and reasons for him to go, not just down to £s, and he will make a decision. As would we all.

Thought the exact same thing earlier on today. It really wouldn't surprise me. When you think of some of the players struggling Prem clubs have signed over the years (DJ Campbell being the prime example), it wouldn't be that bizarre a move. Especially bearing in mind the Baggies fans seem to love him.

300k/400k plus the saving of Hughes wage means we can buy a new player.

They have said many times proceeds from player sales will be reinvested in the team. I doubt that Shez has spent all of the Trotman money yet.

I'd be willing to bet whatever he was given from the Trotman sale has gone.

We've had Fleming, Whitaker, Maher, Lee come in on frees but the wages all add up. Then we've spent fees on O'Grady and Stephens. We lost one player from last seasons squad in McDonald. So we've effectively added 6 new wages in place of McDonald and spent almost 150k on fees too.

Im confused...

The club said Hughes had a minimum release clause ? Is that now not correct ? or did they not say that ?

Or is it just one of Lordys cast iron informants...again.... :tongue1:

On 1st December the rarely wrong Chron had the story that if any clubs trigger the clause by offering £400,000, Athletic will be powerless. And unless there is a bidding war, they will not receive a higher fee.

Alan Hardy said “We wouldn’t want to sell any of our good players while we are challenging for promotion, but it looks like clubs have been made aware of the release clause in Lee’s contract.”

Put it this way, come January 31st, you are either going to look like a complete arse, or alot of people on here will owe you an apology

I don't agree with that.

Most people on here as far I as I have read fall into one category or another

1) Lordy's revealing thee details

2) lordy seemingly attempting to de-stabilise the club

3) Reveal business transactions in public

4) Expecting to confirm or deny every rumour

5) That Lordy is unreasonable to expect that TTA only fund losses of 3/4 million pounds per year for 5 years. Easily more than £5m as it has been reduced.

6) That LOrdy thinks selling Lee Hughes mean they should sell up. Ignoring paying a reported £8 million for the ground,

7) That Lordy cannot see that shelling out millions will keep them rich in a huge economic downturn, the USA is far ahead of us at the moment.

I think you can see the common denminator here, and it isn;t the TTA.

I would expect that even Barry in his position would not know the exact details of Lee Hughes contract, were it not for the fact that he helped negotiate the deal.

CAn you imagine the outcry if Barry reveal a single details. I for one would lead the outcry.

Simple fact, never reveal your hand int he opening gambits of negotiations, and NEVER reveal any of it publicly.

Lordy, are you Gordon Brown's business and economics advisor in disguise? Or Chris Moore's ? You statements are that mad.

Bust and Buster.

Edited by singe