Home Grown Rule

Starting from next season, clubs must have at least 4 players in their 16 who were at the club for three years prior to their 21st birthday

Who do we have

- Taylor

- Allott (came through our youth system and was with us for three years prior to being 21)

- Allesandra

- Smalley

- Lomax

- Wolfy

- Bell

I think this has just increased taylors price even more :D

It isn't players who were at the club for 3 years before they were 21, it's players who were in the country for 3 years before they were 21

players who were at the club for at least 3 years prior to their 21st birthday. The latter would be against EU law, hence why they were having none of Blatters proposed 6 plus 5 rule

players who were at the club for at least 3 years prior to their 21st birthday. The latter would be against EU law, hence why they were having none of Blatters proposed 6 plus 5 rule

You can be foreign but still be home-grown, rendering the new rule legal.

If it was about players coming through the club's own youth system, it would not have passed so resoundingly.

You can be foreign but still be home-grown, rendering the new rule legal.

If it was about players coming through the club's own youth system, it would not have passed so resoundingly.

Most players who have been at a club for three years since they were 18 would have come through the youth system anyway so I don't think it would have made too much of a difference.

One knock-on effect is that fees for players between the ages of 15-18 are going to inflate substantially. Good job the Dale Stephens tribunal has already been and gone!

Still, good idea.

What I'm saying is the only players of ours who would not pass this rule are Stam and Kalala.

Ah sorry, teaches me not to read everything properly. Thought it was four players who had been registered at the club for three years prior to their 21st birthday.

Edited by jsslatic

Guest sheridans_world

I think people are reading this wrong. It only says a player that is registered domestically for three years before their 21st birthday. That is, it doesnt matter which club they played for (assuming it is a proffessional club), so long as they were registered by their 18th birthday. Meaning, we could quite happily have a squad of 16 Wayne Rooneys (for example) and we would comply with this law. The players dont have to have come through our youth system.

I think people are reading this wrong. It only says a player that is registered domestically for three years before their 21st birthday. That is, it doesnt matter which club they played for (assuming it is a proffessional club), so long as they were registered by their 18th birthday. Meaning, we could quite happily have a squad of 16 Wayne Rooneys (for example) and we would comply with this law. The players dont have to have come through our youth system.

pretty much how i read it,hence my opinion it isn't much going to upset 99% of the clubs already and it should be 5 or 6 in the 16 named squad to mean something...unless the scum of trafford get relegated!

Not exactly a surprise from the League though, 'acting' tough on the influx of foreign players...yet only issuing the quota to clubs who aren't affected by it anyway. I'd be genuinely surprised if any of the 72 clubs in a FL game have ever played a side which retrospectively would have fallen foul of this rule.

Not exactly a surprise from the League though, 'acting' tough on the influx of foreign players...yet only issuing the quota to clubs who aren't affected by it anyway. I'd be genuinely surprised if any of the 72 clubs in a FL game have ever played a side which retrospectively would have fallen foul of this rule.

Yes. Last Saturday not one club would have broken this rule and that was without even trying. Should have been more emphasis on clubs including in the matchday squad a number of players brought through their own youth setup. Which would have far more focus on keeping grass roots strong at levels like ours.

This current ruling just smacks a bit of folly.

Beginning to agree with some on here that this rule is a bit of smoke, mirrors and spin.

Sounds good, putting a rule in that seems to support homegrown players - but in essence its one that on greater review means far less. If most / all clubs are already compliant, then its not going to change anything is it?