Orient game request

Hi all

Just a quick request to everyone who will be sitting in the Rochdale road end tomorrow. Please can fans remember that the wheelchair users at the back of the stand cannot see the game when people stand up. There should be a lot more people in the ground tomorrow and it would really be appreciated if people can try and limit the time that they stand.

Thanks

Well only missed both pens due to the standers :angry: . That is one bonus of crap games there is not much for people to get exicted about.

Whilst I sympathise with you, instead of appealing to hundreds of people to remain seated during exiting parts of the game would it not make more sense to raise the issue with the club? They could either arrange alternative disabled viewing areas or raise the current position. As it is you will have an ongoing problem with something that should have been identified at the design stage.

Despite the Rocky Road being the clearest view in the ground people insist on standing up when the action is right in front of them. This spoils the view for kids and disabled people, the same tossers were at it at Stockport forcing people to move so their kids could see. Selfish arseholes!

Whilst I sympathise with you, instead of appealing to hundreds of people to remain seated during exiting parts of the game would it not make more sense to raise the issue with the club? They could either arrange alternative disabled viewing areas or raise the current position. As it is you will have an ongoing problem with something that should have been identified at the design stage.

The club have been informed years ago about the viewing position in the Rochdale Rd end and opted to do nothing about it. There are Two other areas in the ground that are available for use, One in the Lookers stand with half a roof and the front of the Chaddy. Both of these areas leave you pretty much wide open to the weather and of course the Orient game was wet although nothing like the heavy rain that was forecast. Therefore we are left with the option of seeing that game from the Lookers but getting drenched in the process, this might happen to able bodied fans on their travels to various grounds around the country but it is not acceptable to be offered these options from you own club. Can you imagine the uproar if the club decided to rip the roof off the Chaddy and when the complaints came rolling in they just basically told the fans to like it or lump it ? In many ways after years of supporting the club I have become resigned to this kind of treatment it feels like the disabled fan is a long way down the pecking order when it comes to keeping the paying punter happy.

The club have been informed years ago about the viewing position in the Rochdale Rd end and opted to do nothing about it. There are Two other areas in the ground that are available for use, One in the Lookers stand with half a roof and the front of the Chaddy. Both of these areas leave you pretty much wide open to the weather and of course the Orient game was wet although nothing like the heavy rain that was forecast. Therefore we are left with the option of seeing that game from the Lookers but getting drenched in the process, this might happen to able bodied fans on their travels to various grounds around the country but it is not acceptable to be offered these options from you own club. Can you imagine the uproar if the club decided to rip the roof off the Chaddy and when the complaints came rolling in they just basically told the fans to like it or lump it ? In many ways after years of supporting the club I have become resigned to this kind of treatment it feels like the disabled fan is a long way down the pecking order when it comes to keeping the paying punter happy.

You seem to be very right unfortunately and it only serves as a reminder as to the type of fan that we seem to be attracting in there also,

the fact that someone who has no choice but to sit down during the game has their view blocked, on purpose, by a group of self centered, selfish upstarts, is nothing short of disgraceful on their parts.

Apart from wheelchair users, there are many others who cannot stand during the game and are no doubt continually missing vital points in the game.

Until the club start to throw out and ban those who persistently offend, then this will continue.

Despite the Rocky Road being the clearest view in the ground people insist on standing up when the action is right in front of them. This spoils the view for kids and disabled people, the same tossers were at it at Stockport forcing people to move so their kids could see. Selfish arseholes!

You seem to be very right unfortunately and it only serves as a reminder as to the type of fan that we seem to be attracting in there also,

the fact that someone who has no choice but to sit down during the game has their view blocked, on purpose, by a group of self centered, selfish upstarts, is nothing short of disgraceful on their parts. Apart from wheelchair users, there are many others who cannot stand during the game and are no doubt continually missing vital points in the game.

Until the club start to throw out and ban those who persistently offend, then this will continue.

Very harsh in my opinion. Most people stand for the reason that it is natural instinct when something exicting happens on the pitch. It's not a pre-meditated selfish thing. If you only mean the persistant standers who stand even during boring parts (in the 'I' section) then I would agree that the culprits who persistantly START the standing need throwing out - most others, like me, just stand up to see over the original standers. Having said that, every month we get a 'Bring Back Terraces/Standing Areas' thread. Well now we have an unnofficial one, and people complain that they want to sit amongst it! Plenty plenty plenty of other seats folks.....

Sounds to me like the disabled have much the same options as a short person..... i.e Sit at the front and bare the weather or sit at the back and miss the exiting bits.

My mother has said she wants to move away from the 'I' section purely because she can't see much when everybody stands. Simple? Or should the club provide her with a yellow pages?

Very harsh in my opinion. Most people stand for the reason that it is natural instinct when something exicting happens on the pitch. It's not a pre-meditated selfish thing. If you only mean the persistant standers who stand even during boring parts (in the 'I' section) then I would agree that the culprits who persistantly START the standing need throwing out - most others, like me, just stand up to see over the original standers. Having said that, every month we get a 'Bring Back Terraces/Standing Areas' thread. Well now we have an unnofficial one, and people complain that they want to sit amongst it! Plenty plenty plenty of other seats folks.....

Sounds to me like the disabled have much the same options as a short person..... i.e Sit at the front and bare the weather or sit at the back and miss the exiting bits.

My mother has said she wants to move away from the 'I' section purely because she can't see much when everybody stands. Simple? Or should the club provide her with a yellow pages?

jumping up, sitting down, no problems with - persistant standind to be awkward - big problem with.

As for the disabled having the same option as a short person - how can that be physically possible?

jumping up, sitting down, no problems with - persistant standind to be awkward - big problem with.

As for the disabled having the same option as a short person - how can that be physically possible?

Agree the awkward wankers who stand simply because they aren't meant to stand need sorting out. The disabled/short thing isn't a physical issue. I was simply pointing out that they both essentially have the same options for watching the match (bar the main stand upper, where incidently people as tall as me can not physically sit in some seats due to leg room) yet all have disadvantages.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Agree the awkward wankers who stand simply because they aren't meant to stand need sorting out. The disabled/short thing isn't a physical issue. I was simply pointing out that they both essentially have the same options for watching the match (bar the main stand upper, where incidently people as tall as me can not physically sit in some seats due to leg room) yet all have disadvantages.

No probs :chubb: I just think there must be a more comfortable viewpoint for the disabled fan, without having to go at the back of the stand - their matchday experience from there must be gash - though if not sold out, they're first to the pies. :wink:

No probs :chubb: I just think there must be a more comfortable viewpoint for the disabled fan, without having to go at the back of the stand - their matchday experience from there must be gash - though if not sold out, they're first to the pies. :wink:

Every cloud has a silver lining....but then isn't the serve over too high??

Its all bollocks, regarding the government not allowing standing areas, as there are lots of standing areas in place already that are absolutely fine. Doesn't make sense just like the rule that yellow cards cant be rescinded or upgraded.

I posted a wee rant about this a few weeks ago. My ability to stand in a hurry is limited (I've been on 2 crutches for 2 months) and I've moved from my usual place (amongst the standees in the Chaddy) to the front row (either behind the disabled fans or in the row next to them) of the Chaddy. The view from there is not the best (its quite hard to judge depth so you struggle to know how far someone is away from goal). You can get wet, and when people leave early but don't actually leave (i.e. they stand in the gangway at the front) you can struggle to see over the top of them- a few of the disabled people move their wheelchairs to the front when this happens. I don't have a problem too much with people standing at football games if its exciting (its possibly a natural reaction) and you can get a better atmosphere (IMHO) from standing than sitting but there are some people who stand for no reason throughout the game and its usually the same people. If one of them gets chucked out for standing (which the stewards are well within their rights to do so) then they complain. Its inconsiderate and rude and spoils the view of loads of people, (as people behind have to stand to see etc.). I think a good idea would be if they were to create a diasbled area in the main stand (probably would have to be the paddock) as very few people ever stand in there, (and hopefully the new Lookers stand will have better disabled access too).

However having experienced life as a partially abled person in the last few months I can tell you Oldham Athletic are by no means the worse about this and at lots of Premiership games you see fans standing throughout the game spoiling the view for others. There are no standing areas (despite what people on here may think) in football at the top level anymore (and they are being phased out in the levels lower down too), and I think its about time the Premiership did something about the persistent standing you see at their games as if they did you'd find other clubs doing the same. I'm just pleased that my health problem is clearing up so I might be able to stand for short periods at Huddersfield, as often away games are the worse for standing and since Huddersfield is like the Rocky road end with entrances at the back (so you often have people down the front standing) I might not have to hit the person in front of me round the head with my crutch if he stands up.